Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

How To Make Gas Tiki Torch ?

Pages: 1 16 replies

R
rob352 posted on Mon, Mar 3, 2008 9:32 AM

Has Anyone Made Gas Tiki Torch Can You Please help Me I Want To Add 15 To My Back yard But The pre made Ones Cost Way To Much Thanks Rob

15 chances to go boom.

TZ

I would think there must be parts out there for repairing gas-flame outdoor lighting fixtures that would work. I'd talk to an HVAC person.

LT

Purchase one, open it up, reverse engineer.

S

You probably know this, but, I would roughly equate these torches with burning money.

B

How about buying them used off Craigslist? I see scads of them every time I look up the word Tiki - sometimes they're even free!

I just buy the citronella ones at the local party supply place (Alin Party in Lakewood for the locals), they cost about $3 apiece and they last for quite a while. When they fall apart, discard and repeat. To me they look more authentic too. I'm sure the local historic association is quite thrilled that I have them in my front yard.

C

I had the same idea a while back. A friend of mine downloaded plans for them from a website that you could take to a welder and have them built.

I think they were from an old US Patent, but I will ask and post a link later.

You will need to check your local building codes on running the gas lines.

Basically:

Get tall pipe, paint.
Add flow restrictor and safety valve
Top with torch unit.
Repeat as needed.

(check around, maybe cheaper to buy used units)

Buy propane tank and install (or tap existing NG lines)
Install flow restrictor for appropriate pressure for lines and torches
Run gas lines to torches
Connect torches

Light torches
Pour drink
enjoy.

I can't stress enough on checking with your local building codes. Where we live the gas lines have to be installed by licensed companies and there are severe fines for doing it yourself (and getting caught, that is).

If you already have natural gas for your house then gas torches are actually cheaper than citronella in the long run.

And remember, safety first. You actually are installing chances for things to go boom.

Here is a great source for gas tiki torches or custom heads for gas torches:

http://Tiki.BeachsideLighting.com

Great prices!
Welcome to TC.

We still have gas lights in parts of London and thy are totally free to run! The pipes are connected to the sewers which supply them with Methane.
So if you can find your local sewer line....?

just a quick testimonial for Beachside Lighting... that's where I bought my liquid fuel torches and they are top notch*

-Z

*no, they didn't pay me to say that, but if they wanna send me free torches I won't complain :wink:

For anyone wishing to make torches themselves (rather than purchase the nice-looking, pre-built units), I found the following "Outdoor Gas Light Open Flame Burner" in both Natural Gas (NG) and Liquid Propane (LP) varieties on eBay for a mere $23 (+$9 shipping).

I have no experience with these & am not sure how they'd look when used for tiki torches -- but they seem to offer an affordable way to have lots of gas-fed tiki torches.

The only thing seems to be that you'd have to fabricate your own metal cones to wrap just underneath the torch/burner head.

Here are links to the currently active listing for the Natural Gas and Liquid Propane versions. But since eBay doesn't really archive old listings, here's a screen capture for future reference...

Hope this helps someone! Good luck!

Be sure to check with your local authorities (gas company, fire dept. etc.) on the regulations for installing such gas fire features. In Hawaii the gas lines must be run by a plumber, and for something like a gas tiki torch, you really don't want to mess around with DIY stuff unless you have experience. However, if you have a professional run the gas lines, perhaps you could make the torch head and burner yourself and save some money. Although I must say, Beachside Lighting supplies us with many of the tiki torch heads we use for our automated tiki torches, and they are probably the best ones you can find. Their Malama series are an awesome addition to any backyard tiki setting.

http://www.koahi.com
http://www.tiki.beachsidelighting.com

Good luck!

On 2010-05-04 17:05, Capt. R.H. Falernum wrote:
For anyone wishing to make torches themselves (rather than purchase the nice-looking, pre-built units), I found the following "Outdoor Gas Light Open Flame Burner" in both Natural Gas (NG) and Liquid Propane (LP) varieties on eBay for a mere $23 (+$9 shipping).

I have no experience with these & am not sure how they'd look when used for tiki torches -- but they seem to offer an affordable way to have lots of gas-fed tiki torches.

The only thing seems to be that you'd have to fabricate your own metal cones to wrap just underneath the torch/burner head.

I talked with this company and they suggested using another type because they said the flame may blow out with these, not enough pressure and designed to be covered I guess. Im looking to for something or a way to make a flame lite sign for my tiki bar and my journey goes on I guess.

Here are links to the currently active listing for the Natural Gas and Liquid Propane versions. But since eBay doesn't really archive old listings, here's a screen capture for future reference...

Hope this helps someone! Good luck!

L

Aloha! Wow! Mahalo nui loa to those who are saying nice things about Beachside Lighting, and about the Malama series of luau toches (tiki torches). I'm Leilehua Yuen. my dad, Don Yuen, created the Malama Torch(TM) in 1967. I learned to make them from him, and when Manu and I married, my Dad gave us the Malama Torch portion of his manufacturing business. Every time I see them installed on someone's property, it makes me so happy! We were really honored to start working with Beachside Lighting about 10 years ago. So, just wanted to give a big "Mahalo nui loa!!!" to everyone for keeping the tiki torch lit!

Pages: 1 16 replies