Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

"A Night At The Beachcomber" With Adomono LP

Pages: 1 8 replies

While searching through the Princeton Record Exchange this afternoon, I happened upon two Polynesian LPs that, as far as I know, are out of print on CD: "Music Of The Islands" by The Mauna Loa Islanders and "'A Night At The Beachcomber' With Adomono (Guitarist Fantastique)." The first album looks enticing enough, even going as far as to slap the label "A Hula Party" above the RCA Victor label. However, the second LP is what intrigues me. Judging by the liner notes, "'A Night At The Beachcomber' With Adomono" attempts to replicate the live entertainment dining experience of listening to guitariest John Adomono while visiting the acclaimed Don The Beachcomber's in Hawaii. How cool is that? I've yet to listen to either album but will be sure to post my thoughts when I do.

Has anyone here heard either album mentioned above? I'm surprised with all the world music flooding the market that the Adomono album hasn't found its way to CD. It looks extremely promising!
Peace,
Peter

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Mar 3, 2008 7:24 PM

The Adomono at the Beaqchcomber LP was on a share around here a long time ago. I put it up somewhere.

I have the Adomono album. As I am into guitar LPs from that era and Tiki this is a perfect match. It’s like acoustic surf music, I could imagine Dick Dale getting the inspiration for Miserlou from seeing this guy.

V
virani posted on Tue, Mar 4, 2008 9:48 AM

I also have the Adomono.
Did you know his son was also in the music buisness. I had some mail chat with him. He's doing musicians imitations (Prince, Tom Jones, Garth Brooks...).

K

"Music of the islands" by The Mauna Loa Islanders is one of my absolute favorite steel guitar Hawaiian albums (and I have 3,000). It's also one of my favorite image covers...very haunting. They use not one, not two, but THREE steel guitars and it is just tremendous mood-inspiring music of a tropical island in the late 1950s early 60s...On a similar note, if you run across any LPs by Malekowa & The Trade Winds, grab them as they are similar in their 3 steel guitar approach.
I should say, the Mauna Loa Islanders follow-up LP, "Hawaiian Punch" was a great disappointment. SAme instrumentation but without the heavy reverb giving it that "far away in the sunset" feeling, it just didn't work...producers fault.

Now that,s a guitar!

T

Anybody tried this download for Admono's album?
http://www.swankpad.org/blather/2009/02/09/adomono-a-night-at-the-beachcomber/

I can't access it from my iPhone

HT

It's down. Maybe Swanky can re-upload it...

T

I just found about 12 cuts from his 2 albums available on iTunes. They are transfers from he vinyl, so they are not pristine. Search for "John Adomono"

Pages: 1 8 replies