Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Where can I see a real Leeteg on display?

Pages: 1 13 replies

O

I want to see a real Leeteg velvet painting. Is there anyplace in California, museum or gallery, that has his work on display?

This site might be helpful. :)

T

I cant speak for California but if you can't head up here to Canada, you can see some great ones right here on TC!! There is an old Hotel here called the Waldorf Hotel in BC, that has 5 of these original velvets on display.
The Hotel and bars were opened in 1955.
You can't just walk in anymore and see them (rented events only) but there are pictures here on TC and some info.
I can't paste the exact topic here right now but you can do a search for Waldorf Hotel, Polynesian Room, Tahitian Lounge, Menehune Room, or an event that happened at the Waldorf last summer called Lost Paradise.
Hope this helps! TabooDan

[ Edited by: TabooDan 2008-03-06 06:28 ]

O

I've got the book 'Leeteg of Tahiti' so I've seen plenty of examples, but I really want to see one in person so I can study closely his technique. There supposedly are so many out there. I can't believe nobody on Tiki Central owns one.

I'll also add Colorado to an area I would visit (plenty of relatives there).

D

if you're in the seattle area: give me a heads up, i have a friend who owns several velvets ~ we can arrange a viewing! i have 2 nicely done velvets, but alas, not Letags.

Billy's in Newport Beach has a Leeteg painting hanging behind glass behind the bar :)

V
virani posted on Thu, Mar 6, 2008 9:17 AM

In Moorea, in a jewel store !!

On 2008-03-06 07:57, dogbytes wrote:
if you're in the seattle area: give me a heads up, i have a friend who owns several velvets ~ we can arrange a viewing! i have 2 nicely done velvets, but alas, not Letags.

...what's the security like at your friends place?? does he sometime leave a sliding door unlocked on accident or anything like that???....just wondering....

T

I believe there is a Leeteg in the Trader Vics in Emeryville

G
GROG posted on Thu, Mar 6, 2008 12:37 PM

On 2008-03-06 07:57, dogbytes wrote:
i have 2 nicely done velvets, but alas, not Letags.

And one of those should be GROG's!! Give it up Dogbytes!!

[ Edited by: grog 2008-03-06 18:09 ]

DZ

You can find five of them at the Trader Vic's in Emeryville, CA. It's the last one owned by the Bergeron family. My wife's family is from Oakland so we usually make a pilgrimage there whenever we visit the area. On an early visit I noticed a Leeteg painting behind the maitre d's lectern and asked him about it. He was kind enough to take me around the restaurant to see all five in their possession, including one in a private room where a party was going on.

My father-in-law, who is 90 years old, grew up with Victor Bergeron ("and a nasty piece of work he was," he recalls) and when my wife and I took my father-in-law and mother-in-law to Forbidden Island in Alameda, they said it looked a lot like the old Hinky Dinks.

G

The Leeteg on the left here is still hanging at the Mai-Kai, but bring a flashlight if you want to study it closely.

O

Five Leetegs at the Trader Vic's in Emeryville? What a gold mine! I live in Monterey which is just a couple of hours away. Yee Haa! Road trip time.

Let's see. Trader Vic's at 5:00 P.M., Ju Ju Pinball at 6:00 P.M., then Forbidden Island from 8:00 P.M. till closing. That'll work for me.

DZ

If you are making the road trip, don't forget to stop in to visit the Conga Lounge and Kona Club while you're in the area.

Pages: 1 13 replies