Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Pix on Flickr of Dr. Zarkov's Tiki Lounge

Pages: 1 15 replies

DZ

Please feel free to check out the pictures I posted of my home Retro Sci/Fi Tiki Lounge on Flickr, located at http://www.flickr.com/photos/drzarkov/.

I'm new to Flickr so I'm still trying to get the hang of things. The photos that are in the set on the right hand side of the screen are in the correct order, but when I uploaded the individual photos, for some reason they ended up in reverse order: Nos. 36 to 1 instead of Nos. 1 to 36. If you go to the second page and scroll down to the bottom, you can follow them in the intended order (1 to 36), which is supposed to trace your path from the top of the stairs of the rec room down into the lounge.

If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer them.

T

Very nice, Doctor - I especially love that sweet couch!

thanks for sharing. great looking "chill" zone

I love that bathroom - VAVOOM!!!!!

K
Kenike posted on Fri, Mar 7, 2008 5:53 PM

Very nice. Wish I had a Bettie Page bathroom...or maybe a Bettie Page bedroom.

B

Bra, Very nice collection!! The Tiki's are nice.... BUT, How's the Rock'em Sock'em Robots Picture!! my boys would love that one...
great job DR..!

ALohA

Very very nice. You can tell a lot of work went into that. When my daughter turned 18 for some unknown reason she bought a rock'em sock'em robot set on e-bay and it is one of the focal spots in her bedroom.

DZ

You can find the print of the robots boxing here: http://www.ericjoyner.com/

Another flickr member has an image up of a different one: http://www.flickr.com/photos/heyskinny/26056517/

It's a takeoff on a famous George Bellows painting of a championship boxing bout between Dempsey and Firpo: http://www.usc.edu/schools/annenberg/asc/projects/comm544/library/images/414.html

K
keola posted on Fri, Mar 7, 2008 10:29 PM

Thanks for sharing the gallery. I have the same shade of green in most of my home; nice to see what a stronger tiki and retro sci-fi influence,as you have, could do for my place.

DZ

The paint is C2, made by Benjamin Moore. We were told that they mix in crushed egg shells, which makes it a bit more reflective than usual paint. The leaves are wallpaper we found and used to accent the walls on the stairway. You can see it here: http://www.wallpaperstogo.com/ProductDetailCol.aspx?Product:ID=5....

By mixing the retro Sci Fi and Tiki themes this allowed us to include Mid-Century Modern furniture and design elements. In my experience Tiki rooms that are all wall matting and bamboo tend to be a bit dark.

Nice ukes Doc!... I counted 13... I've got some of the same. Tiki King posts here some. What's the dark one on the far right side of the fireplace and what's the greenish one on the left side of the fireplace? (If you don't mind me askin')

DZ

Regarding Bongo Bongalow's question about the ukes: The one on the far right of the bottom of the fireplace is an Ovation electric I picked up on Ebay. The one on the left that I think you are asking about is an El Cheapo I picked up on clearance sale at a store called Z Gallerie on Fourth Street in Berkeley, CA (although my wife and I live in Alexandria, VA, her family is from Oakland, so we get back there several times a year.) The green one on the left has a Hawaiian scene painted on it and cost, I believe, about $24.

It might interest you to know that I bought most of the musical instruments, including the stenciled guitars and yellow steel guitar on either side of the speakers, for minimal coin by going on Ebay and putting in a small or minimum bid and then walking away. You would be surprised how many Tiki mugs and instruments I acquired this way.

[ Edited by: Dr. Zarkov 2008-03-08 06:55 ]

That is very well executed. I am going to use your pics for ideas when I get ready to redecorate. I really like the color on the walls. Do you happen to remember the name/brand?

DZ

The green paint is C2, made by Benjamin Moore. We were told that they mix in crushed egg shells, which makes it a bit more reflective than usual paint. The name of the particular color we chose is Wasabi. The great thing about the C2 paint is that when you go to the Benjamin Moore store, the paper sample they give you has the actual paint on it, whereas the paper samples they hand out for regular BM paint are the color printed on paper, which is an approximation.

It may interest you to know that after I returned from the BM store with only two samples, my wife looked at me like I was a particularly simple child, sighed and insisted on returning with me to the store to get a couple of dozen more.

BTW, we got the wallpaper with the jungle leaves from the same store. In one of the replies above I give a link to where you can see an example of it on the Web.

[ Edited by: Dr. Zarkov 2008-03-08 21:45 ]

[ Edited by: Dr. Zarkov 2008-03-09 09:36 ]

T

SWEET!

Some of your photos have a Hawaiian Eye feel.
I know what you created took a lot of time,
effort & $$$. THANKS for sharing DR.

Thortiki

Great work...nice blend of tropical and modern. Love the couch and I agree...the bathroom is awesome. :)

Bravo!!! What a great mix of collections! I was just about to paint my lounge green but my buddies didn't think it would look good with the Tiki stuff. I was doubting my choice but you just proved me right! It looks great!

Pages: 1 15 replies