Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Local University has the Coolest Tiki-related Mascot Ever!

Pages: 1 15 replies

This is "Izzy The Islander" from Texas A&M Corpus Christi.

Now if only there were a decent local Tiki Bar or eating establishment!!

Mustang Island Tiki

Fun!... Most mascots offend someone, this one might as well.

Bring on the offensive tiki mascot!!! I love it. :lol:

On 2008-03-08 03:01, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
Fun!... Most mascots offend someone, this one might as well.

You're right, here is such a someone. :D

K

So, is Party City headquartered in Corpus Christi?

Are you referring to the store chain or the phenomena?

Because both are found here!

=chuckle=

Mustang Island Tiki

T

On 2008-03-07 23:48, Mustang Island Tiki wrote:

Mustang Island Tiki

Do they have an online store? I might need a plush mascot or a t-shirt!

Plushy, plushy! :D
I don't know if it is the name "Izzy", or the fact that Tikis in Hula skirts always were one step too "funny" for me, but I pass.

On 2008-03-08 13:27, Tikisgrl wrote:

Mustang Island Tiki

Do they have an online store? I might need a plush mascot or a t-shirt

Yes they have a store. Sadly there are no Izzy dolls that I know of. I know a lot of folks have asked about them locally. They have tons of T-shirts though.

Here is the store link:

http://www.nmnathletics.com//sellnew/SellHome.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=14100

Mustang Island Tiki

So, yes, they have an Izzy t-shirt. There are gated communities in Hawaii that would not allow you to wear such a t-shirt. Ya know what, this is not good tiki.

I

reminds me of this:

:lol:

T

On 2008-03-08 14:45, icebaer69 wrote:

reminds me of this:

:lol:

I said plush not lush?

That's pretty funny!

T

Hmm. Izzy the Islander. Anyone labeling him bad tiki is read "Texas A&M Corpus Christi" as "Tiki A&M Corpus Christi" or something...time to get the eyes checked maybe? He's a mascot. He's Izzy the Islander. He represents Texas A&M Corpus Christi...the "Islanders" of the NCAA basketball tournament a few years back. I don't see "tiki" listed anywhere on his name. But we must bash it because it doesn't look like it fell out of a trader vic's or something.

That said. I like Izzy the Islander, I like Corpus Christi...and hell I almost went to school at TAMU-CC :).

On 2008-03-08 17:55, tekoteko wrote:
Hmm. Izzy the Islander. Anyone labeling him bad tiki is read "Texas A&M Corpus Christi" as "Tiki A&M Corpus Christi" or something...time to get the eyes checked maybe? He's a mascot. He's Izzy the Islander. He represents Texas A&M Corpus Christi...the "Islanders" of the NCAA basketball tournament a few years back. I don't see "tiki" listed anywhere on his name. But we must bash it because it doesn't look like it fell out of a trader vic's or something.

That said. I like Izzy the Islander, I like Corpus Christi...and hell I almost went to school at TAMU-CC :).

It most certainly is Tiki inspired and that is a good thing!

Whether of not Izzy conforms to a certain island culture's style, I could care less. A great deal of Tiki culture is made up on the go--that is what is one of the things that is so cool about it!! It embraces everything from Easter Island to a bit of Roswell, Surfers and beach bums to starving artists and mixologists; Cultural anthropology to the wonderful tackiness that is Hawaiian shirts, Don Ho, Ukuleles at sunset, and the wonderfully poetic forms of the hula dancer--and much, much more!!!

Tiki culture to me, is a most-moveable feast that defies a strict definition but instead thrives on a vast eclectic blend what I like to think of as tropical optimism and an unshakable instinct to just simply laze around and go with the flow of what we like to call here: “island time.”

Mustang Island Tiki

[ Edited by: Mustang Island Tiki 2008-03-08 18:35 ]

Looks kinda "AZTIKI" to me...

T
Thomas posted on Sat, Mar 8, 2008 8:18 PM

He is often associated with apparently supernatural occurrences on campus, and when investigated by Mysteries, Inc., scares the heck out of Shaggy and Scooby-Doo, but the crew eventually captures him and he is revealed to be the guy no one ever suspected, and it was all the part of a criminal plot on his part. In the final scene when his identity is revealed, he grumbles angrily, "And I would have gotten away with it, if it wasn't for you meddling kids!"

[ Edited by: Thomas 2008-03-09 12:47 ]

Pages: 1 15 replies