Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Tiki Shrines Available now!

Pages: 1 14 replies

Hi Everyone! I have listed the first of the Tiki Shrines to my web site. You can find them here:

http://www.tinkerswitchcrafts.com/tikishrines.html

Tiki hugs~ Tink xoxo

i gotta say....i really dig this idea. I've been a fan of those cheezy little chinese shrines you find in every store in any chinatown u.s.a....in fact i bought one of my own a couple months ago, complete with gold plastic dragon lights and all!! (mine happens to house a bob's big boy dressed up in full chinese attire and hoisting a light up lotus flower as our patron saint. here at the house)...in fact, chef shangri-la converted a large witco tiki that was in the bar area into a chinese shrine which is now residing out in the hallway as you walk in.....

..keep going with these!! you are onto something fun and cool.....try adding some colored lights and such if you haven't already.....

p.s. if you want to save some time and a few bucks, you can get pre-made shrines cheap in a china town near you and just trick them out in all things tiki........

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-03-08 07:17 ]

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-03-08 07:17 ]

Hey Tink...these are soooo kewl!!! I'll be saving my pennies to get one soon. FUN FUN FUN...and your website is cute. :D

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! Yes, they are too fun. You can put any pop icon of your choice inside a shrine! I have been doing little lights with bamboo or paper shades but I like the idea of tacky little colored lights. VERY fun. I am always on the lookout for cool old boxes and crates or anything I can pick apart and use as a shrine surround to embellish. Today my Mindimbit Tiki God was watching over as I learned to load tunes to my Ipod (lol) I am not as technically adept as I am artistic. I was able to actually figure it out. I loaded Tiki Lounge (a GREAT GREAT CD) and a bunch of fun psychobilly and other fave stuff. Now I am good to go. I stick the pod in the Bose dock and MUSIC FOR HOURS!!! have a fun night. I'll check back with you later. hugs~ tink

I have scoped out both of your web sites as well and Vamp, your poetry is wonderful and Tipsy, I HAVE the cocktail shaker lamp with the drinks recipe shade!!! It is right here next to my computer!!!!

as a longtime maker of shrines (the non tiki kind) myself i gotta say this is really mood setting..im totally diggin it..nice work

thanks kreepytiki, Yes, I am a long time shrine maker as well. I love making shrines. must be that Catholic childhood thing.....hugs~ tink

I have to agree with everyone's "love 'em" comments. So fun and fresh! I just might need one for my childhood 'best friend' Barbie. She's even got a homemade hula costume I made in ummm like 7th grade (in the 70's we still played with dolls.)

Adding to Tipsy's p.s. - if you're close to nyc, I believe that Pearl River still carries house shrines for pretty cheap. Otherwise there are other shops in Chinatown that have them. It'd be fun to see what you could do with one of those.

~gina (Martiki-bird, who really is my bird)

oooh, thanks, Gina! YES St. Barbie (ala Ryden) that is what my boyfriend has in his shrine now. The Polynesian Barbie. He didn't hand make her hula outfit, though! Your's will be more special :) I am not far from NYC OR Pearl River! Where in Pearl River do they have those? hugs~ tink xo

V

so where's the tiki ?

No. Where's the beef?

On 2008-03-11 04:20, Tiki Tinkie wrote:
I am not far from NYC OR Pearl River! Where in Pearl River do they have those? hugs~ tink xo

Aha, so you're in my neck of the woods. Good, we need more North Jersey ohana. OK, it's been a while since I've been to Pearl River, but they were in the middle with other housewares and office supplies. Otherwise, there are a few other tiny vendors off of Canal that have them. I can also check with the extremely awesome old-school 50's Chinese-American restaurant nearby. They still have a gift counter where they sell all sorts of Chinese trinkets (no tiki mugs 'cause it's a dry town). I'll PM you with the info when I find out more...hmmm, Chinese pupu tonight...yummm. :)
~gina

thanks, Gina! tiki hugs~ tink xoxo

ha ha! i have made these shrines to house anything you want to insert in them from tiki to St Barbie to Rat Fink :)

thanks, Gina! HAve a fun night! hugs~ tink xoxo

Pages: 1 14 replies