Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Rum and Coffee Liquor based drinks.

Pages: 1 8 replies

H

Does anyone have any recipes for Coffee (I have Kahlua, Baileys Irish Cream, Creme de Cacao), and all kinds of rum. I looked everywhere on TC and only found a few recipes.
any information would be helpful.

I know of one in particular, the Mutiny, from the Mai Kai.

I'm not sure I totally understood the question. Are you looking for coffee drinks with rum or rum drinks with coffee liqueur (or syrup)? Anyway, here's one of my favs. I've used both Fee's coffee syrup and Vic's Kona Coffee Liqueur. I tend to prefer the latter. Use Pernod if no Herbsaint.

Dark Magic by Craig Hermann

1/2 oz coffee syrup
1/2 oz Licor 43
1/2 oz passion fruit syrup
3/4 oz fresh lime juice
1 oz Appleton V/X
1 oz Coruba
dash Herbsaint

Add all and 8oz of ice into blender. Blend by 5 one second pulses. Pour into double rocks glass. Garnish with maraschino cherry and lime wheel. With compliments to Jeff “beachbum’ Berry and The Mai-Kai’s Black Magic.

Mai Kai's Black Magic is a great way to end the evening there.

H

Sorry I didn't make it clear, I am looking for any combination as long as there is coffee and rum in it. It can be either coffee drinks with rum or rum drinks with coffee.

Mr. Bali Hai is great, with rum and coffee brandy. You got the recipe in Intoxica!

M

If you use pernod in my recipe, be careful. I use an eyedropper for perfect measurement - no more than 6 drops per drink. Herbsaint is more forgiving. If you have any absinthe, use that instead.

Also coffee liqueur does not work well in that recipe. The coffee flavor becomes to cloying and overpowering. You could use less of a coffee liqueur, but I found that the base coffee note in the Black Magic I was trying to emulate died quickly when I used a small amount of the liqueurs (tried kahlua, tia maria, starbucks and a local McMennamin's Edgefield). I then made a coffee syrup from espresso shots and simple syrup: perfection! (I've also been known to use day-old coffee as the water part of a 2:1 simple syrup and that works just as well for you penny pinchers)

Perhaps I'll have to start playing around with more coffee recipes and post them.

M

Oh, and Don's Coffee Grog in Sippin' Safari is a winner too. The batter keeps forever in a sealed container in the 'fridge.

M

Here's a sketch of something I'm working on - I'd love notes, opinions and ideas about it!

1 oz fresh lime juice
1 oz coffee syrup
1 oz unsweetened pineapple juice
2 oz Coruba
1 oz 5-star Rhum Barbancourt
dash Herbsaint

It's dark and mysterious with a hint of bright flavors. That's the flavor profile I was going for, at least. I am intrigued with how the pineapple's flavor is modified in the Penang Afrididi (Sippin' Safari): All the middle round flavours are enhanced. I wanted to meld that middle aspect of the pineapple with the coffee notes of the Mai-Kai's Dark Magic. Give 'er a go, see what you think!

Pages: 1 8 replies