Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

OG Banana Republic store

Pages: 1 7 replies

Remember when Banana Republic sold cool 40's (ish) safari clothes, played swing music in their stores and had kick ass displays? (jeeps, crates, painted cielings)

I remember wanting to go the mall growing up just so I could go to banana republic and get lost - transported somewhere else. I never bought anything, I just wanted to be surrounded by the cool displays. It was really my first exposure to escapism and the great music of the 30's and 40's. I even remember traveling to different cities and wanting to see how their banana republic was decorated!!!

anyway, does anyone have any pictures of the old stores (not the new lame-o decorated stores) or links to pics on the web? I'd like to see how it compares to what's in my mind, and how it compares to many of the escapist establishments that are still around today. Thanks!

I don't have any pictures but I do remember the South Coast Plaza one had a real WWII Jeep just inside the doors. It was great.

On 2008-03-10 18:17, Bora Boris wrote:
I don't have any pictures but I do remember the South Coast Plaza one had a real WWII Jeep just inside the doors. It was great.

yeah! that's the kind of stuff I'm talking about. The one at fanuel hall in Boston had a jeep in the front window - half in the store and half out of the store!!! That's just too cool. someone has got to have pictures!!

Bump!

I know this is an old thread, but maybe some of the new people have some photos or links?

Bueller? Bueller?

Hi Boris!

Polynesiac, there is a webpage dedicated to the old Banana Republics called Abandoned Republic.

http://scottcadams.com/bananarepublic/

I remember when Crate and Barrel displayed their merchandise on crates and barrels.

Google "original Banana Republic store" for more images.

Ahhhhh!!!! ORIGINAL!!!!

Tikilongbeach to the rescue!!! You totally rock!! \m/ \m/

Me and my lame search attempts just unearthed the recent BR photos, so thank you very much!!!

Time to paruse the pictures and see if my memory holds up!

UT

I grew up in Ft. Myers Fl. In the mid 80s I worked on the lighting for a new BR store in the mall. That place was the coolest. The had the tail of a real airplane sticking out of a thatched roof over the entrance of the store. The fuselage was in one corner inside. They had a Land Rover also if I remember correctly. Last year I found a vintage BR safari jacket in great shape at a thrift store but it was to big for me. I sold it on line for $175, crazy. The stores today have no soul in my opinion.

Pages: 1 7 replies