Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

2/24/09 a little news about Kapriman mug edition change ups

Pages: 1 2 88 replies

Hello everyone,
So Evil Mastermind Miles and I finally went through the storage to look at the mugs. If you remember, our short lived company, Ona Tiki, was around in 2002 and gone in 2003. There was a company launch party at Tiki Ti where we handed out around 200 or so one of a kind ceramic amulets and shot glasses, and raffled off mugs and other goodies( that night Miles and I found out why you do not down two "Green Lizard" shots in a single evening, and why that shot is not on Tiki Ti's menu.)
***If you happened to have gotten any of those giveaway shots or amulets, and are willing to take a pic, we would appreciate it. We never took pics of them.
We only produced a handful of each mug design before loosing our studio space and ability to make mugs. At that time we only got around to selling the black version Coltrane mug (not a tribute to John Coltrane.) In going through the storage we pulled out the mugs we had made and found stuff we did not know was there.
To those of you who have continued to contact me about my Zombie (moai), there are just a few available. I have kept those names and will contact those folks about that mug in the next few weeks. Right now Kingstyedie, Stuckie, and Jeff Berry (he has the one from the Zombie shoot of Sippin Safari) are the only ones that have them outside of Miles and myself.
The first one we will be selling is the green edition of Miles' Lama Akua. I will post when it is time to sell them. There are only 15, 14 of which we will be selling for $45.00 plus shipping. There is also a red edition Lama Akua, with about the same number made, that we will sell after the green edition. Once these sell that will be it, the molds were destroyed some time ago.
***The Lama Akua green edition is an example of what made our mugs unique from other companies; we tinted the slip so that the color of the foot was not white (except for the Black Coltrane), and that the glaze colors were more interesting because of how they responded to a colored base clay. The green edition is a beautiful aqua green over a canary yellow bisque.
We found unglazed, but already underpainted Coltranes, so we will be putting out another color edition of that mug. Once again a very small number. These mugs already have the fired-on stamped Ona Tiki logo. There will be no more of these made, that mold was already destroyed.
As far Hugo, Miles' streamlined aqua blue moai mug, turns out we did have a few of those made. There are only five that will be available, 2 are artists editions that we own. Those molds were destroyed. I will collaborate with Miles on a new, not so streamlined version of this mug, put out through my (newer) company Ocea Otica later this year.
Pohaku aa ipu, the hand painted lava rock mug, will also finally be sold, the number at around 10. I will make a simpler version of mug later this year and put it out through Ocea Otica.

Ocea Otica's second release, Tumbuna, had been put on hold for the last 6 or so months. I am about half way through making them, and hope to release them in the next few months. There are a few variations, but the total number made will be 50.
I have gotten some replies from people who think Tumbuna is a blend between an alien and a tiki. This is definitely not the case. This mug is based on a traditional PNG image, and i will post a picture of the original carving that the Tumbuna is based on for those of you to see. If at that point you are still seeing the X Files, then please still buy one and fly it around in your Roswell play set.
This brings me to pictures. Pictures of all these mugs. I will dig them out and post them soon. Some pics are up on my Ocea Otica myspace page, and the Ona Tiki Zombie (moai) and Coltrane can be seen on Ooga Mooga.
Thanks for reading, thank you for your patience and to those of you that have been pushing me for 5 years to go through my storage unit.
Cass

Aloha kaua

[ Edited by: OceaOtica 2008-11-13 15:51 ]

[ Edited by: OceaOtica 2008-11-19 17:30 ]

[ Edited by: OceaOtica 2008-11-30 20:17 ]

[ Edited by: oceaotica 2009-02-24 12:23 ]

[ Edited by: oceaotica 2009-02-24 12:24 ]

T

Cass, Awesome news about the old mugs resurfacing! Can't wait to see the original that Tumbuna was designed after. I am very much looking forward to your re-release of the old mugs and more stuff being available from you. Your mugs are awesome and I truly value my Tumbuna!

Tikisgrl

Mahaloz for the detailed post Cass. I'm sure many wait for the chance to claim an OnaTiki for thier collection. Thanks for the written heads up and an opportunity at these incredible designs. :)

Here's one of the shots you mentioned. It belongs to KTD and is posted on Ooga-Mooga.

CheekyGirl has a shot that she won at the Tiki Ti.

Glad to hear that you're making the Lama Akua available, and I've been anxiously awaiting the release of Tumbuna since I saw it last year at Oasis.

Thanks for the replies. Kate, thank you for the pics, the "Larsen" moai in one of its many color variations, and the "little suffering bastard" aka "kummel shot". Oh, Tikisgrl, you were the winner of the myspace giveaway. Hope to do that with some more one offs soon.
p.s. I want to aplologize if anyone has tried to contact me at the oceaotica aol email address. That address is no longer, will be setting up a new email address soon. For now you can contact me here or on the myspace thinger. Thanks
From Oasis 7, modeling a Tumbuna. That Tumbuna helped me finish off most of the 2 1/2 allons of Zombie we had left from doing Jeff's mixology demonstration.

[ Edited by: OceaOtica 2008-03-11 22:55 ]

Ona Tiki
Lama Akua (two tone, yellow interior)

Pohaku aa Ipu (multi colored lava interior)

Hugo (two tone, light green interior)

Zombie (moai) Full Cinematic color edition (bloody interior)

Ocea Otica
two (of the 4 or 5)color editions of Tumbuna

Myspace giveaway version

the inspiration for Tumbuna

[ Edited by: oceaotica 2008-03-11 22:25 ]

C

Oh my, those are some very cool & distinctive mugs!!

croe, thanks for the compliments.
Oh, I must of had my head up my ass when I sold the Torembis, I actually did not sell all of them. i had forgotten some went to storage, Do not know exactly how many of each color I have, will check on that soon, but if anyone is interested in a Torembi, please send me a personal message.

Torembi:

The Reds and Browns are $32 each, the Yellow will be $34 each, plus shipping and handling. When you private message to inquire please mention the color edition you are interested in.

Aloha kaua

[ Edited by: OceaOtica 2008-03-11 22:43 ]

K
Kahu posted on Wed, Mar 12, 2008 3:13 AM

I love the Hugo mug,it has always been a sought after mug for me. That Zombie mug is awesome by the way. Glad to read that you are able to do mugs again.

K

I have one of each of the Torembi colors. This photo does not do justice to the richness of the colors. They are all three just gorgeous.

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Mar 12, 2008 1:48 PM

On 2008-03-11 21:43, OceaOtica wrote:

the inspiration for Tumbuna

[ Edited by: oceaotica 2008-03-11 22:25 ]

I recognised that straight away - I have a whole pile of pics from the same ebay seller. He had all these amazing almost cartoony looking PNG figures out of a huge collection. Several of them looked really "Disney" (in a good way). From memory these guys were all Blackwater River Middle Sepik figures....there are 5 or 6 I have earmarked to interpret later this year sometime.

I love your mugs - I really should've grabbed a Torembi from you on myspace when I had the chance last year. Unfortunately I'm suffering a self-imposed embargo at present. Thanks for the peek at the old stuff too!

[ Edited by: Paipo 2008-03-12 14:07 ]

Paipo,
you got it, great source of reference, and something to drool over. There are so many of that sellers pieces that I wish i could have bought, but keeping photos will have to suffice.

LT

On 2008-03-11 22:40, OceaOtica wrote:
The Reds and Browns are $32 each, the Yellow will be $34 each, plus shipping and handling. When you private message to inquire please mention the color edition you are interested in.

PM Sent. :D

bump for Torembi

One of my favs:

Coltrane Mug:

I still have the recipe for the ginger syrup that came with the mug.

Launch Shot mug (inside says "Ona Tiki Launch Oct. 2003":

Launch Pendent in pink (inside also says Ona Tiki Luanch, Oct. 2003":

Digi, thanks for the photos. That is a nice shot of the Coltrane.

There are 13 of the Green Lama Akuas. Once those sell, that will be it. The other, Rust version, in the photo will be up next, but for right now send me a personal message if you would like to purchase the green one. When sending a message to request a mug, please include your email address so I can send a paypal invoice. Green Lama Akuas will be sold first come first served. Price is $45 plus $12 ship/handle/ins. Comes with an edition card signed by it's designer Miles.

The Rust version is much more interesting in person. It appears sorta solid red in this pic, but it is more broken up, layered, and interesting in person. Has hints of red, yellow, brown, orange, and a sandy yellow and brown interior.

black version (next to rust edition)beaitful black over yellow tinted slip.

the "jupiter" edition, This glaze edition features speckling and colors ranging from red, yellow, grey, brown, blue and purple. The photo does not do this glazed edition justice, a lot of the brown color you see in the photo is actually purple.

Aloha kaua

[ Edited by: oceaotica 2008-04-03 21:44 ]

[ Edited by: OceaOtica 2008-04-03 22:05 ]

Hugo is definately my favorite! How can I get me one of those?

:) shoootz :)

Great looking mugs. I'm interested in a Coltrane mug if you have any left.

It's encouraging to see your support for our designs. So nice to have uncovered the treasure trove of 'Ona Tikis and to finally make them available.

Thanks for collecting!

-Miles

K
Kahu posted on Fri, Mar 28, 2008 9:30 PM

On 2008-03-28 07:05, Evil Mastermind wrote:
It's encouraging to see your support for our designs. So nice to have uncovered the treasure trove of 'Ona Tikis and to finally make them available.

Thanks for collecting!

-Miles

The one thing that I have not seen commented yet is how even now, years after these mugs came out people still hold them in high regard and desirability. I hope many would share my hope that all of this interest somehow shows you and brings you to begin to do them again.

Thanks Kahu.
Update,
The first Green Lama Akua shipped today.
Went through the last of storage, found two other color editions of the Lama Akua, so that makes four. The green is on sale now, there are 8 left. The Rust edition, pictured above, and the other two color editions, which I will post a pic of next week, will all go on sale next week.
The Lost and Found Blue edition of Coltrane will go on sale next week. i will post a pic when i can shoot a nice enough picture of it.
The Hugos are sold, there was kind of an existing waiting list on those. Hopefully we will have the new not so streamlined, larger in production number, version out by the end of the year.
Pohaku aa ipu is not going to be released, but a new version out from Ocea Otica will hopefully be available by the end of this year.
When you contact me to order a mug, please include a email address so that I can send a paypal invoice. If you need to pay by other means, let me know. Thank you for your encouragement and purchases.
Cass

also a note about`Ona Tiki mugs: we tried to make every mug unique. On the Coltranes the nostrils were carved into every mug, so that made every one a little different, on the black edition we would add a spot of clear to the back randomly that would give each mug a little different character mark, the same was done with Hugo. The Zombies have carved in details that make everyone individual, aside from the fact that the layered painting turned out a bit different on every one. This made producing then a little more interesting as well. I have carried that tradition on with Ocea Otica, as you can notice on the Torembis. There are carved in details that make every mug unique.

Aloha kaua

[ Edited by: oceaotica 2008-03-30 07:32 ]

[ Edited by: OceaOtica 2008-04-03 22:44 ]

On 2008-03-28 07:05, Evil Mastermind wrote:
Thanks for collecting!
-Miles

On 2008-03-29 18:15, OceaOtica wrote:
also a note about`Ona Tiki mugs: we tried to make every mug unique.
This made producing then a little more interesting as well. I have carried that tradition on with Ocea Otica, as you can notice on the Torembis. There are carved in details that make every mug unique.
-Cass

Aloha mai e Cass & Miles!
This lost trove of 'Ona Tiki is much welcome by crazed mugheads!! Please continue to make available your unique designs.
Me ka aloha pumehana :)

Got my green Lama Akua and my Torembi. Both are some really nice work. The yellow tinted slip with the green glaze is a nice touch. MAHALO!

Thanks for the kind words and glad your mugs have arrived safely.
So this Saturday starting at 11am the rest of the color editions of the Lama Akua will be on sale. There are 2 of the Black, 8 of the Jupiter, and 9 rust. There are also still 8 of the green edition. The green edition are available for purchase now. This is it for this mug, the molds were destroyed some time ago.

O

Sorry to flip flop on people, my work is now going to pull me away for the next week and a half, not sure of the schedule. i want to be at the computer when the Lama Akua's are up for sale to respond and let people know if an edition sells out (possible when there are so few of each edition). So I am postponing the sale of the rest of the mugs until I know my schedule better. Thank you for your patience and sorry for the inconvenience.

T

That's not right. Getting the 'koolkids' all lather up and then letting them down like a doorman at a night club !!!!

O

So my side job got canned. I will now sell the Lama Akuas and the Lost and Found Blue edition of Coltrane tommorow starting at 11. I will try to get back to people as fast as I can, and let people know if something has sold out. Please include your email along with your request personal message so that I can send a paypal invoice. These mugs are all ready and will start to be shipped out next week.

Lost and Found Blue edition of Coltrane, an edition of 13. Features rich coloration coming from black tinted slip, beautiful multicolored purple underglaze tones, finished with a rich blue glaze. You can see the purples, blues and greens, almost has that scarab look to it. Inside is a darkish brown with some patchy blue. These are the last Coltranes to be had, a surprise box of bisque from 2003, glazed in 2008. this edition of Coltrane will be $45 plus $12 ship/handle.
Thanks

T

Sweet, love the look of that Blue Coltrane. I'm guessing you mean 11:00 am West Coast Time?

Beth

K
Kahu posted on Sat, Apr 5, 2008 8:34 PM

Amazing color! Time to set my alarm.

Hey all,
A quick update on shipping, todady 6 Coltranes went out in the mail. I found out, starting today, i am working 16 hour days for a week, so i will have to delay further shipments till i get back off this schedule. Sorry for the inconvenience, thanks for your patience, i will get them out as soon as i can.

There are still green, Jupiter, and rust Lama Akuas left.

I have resumed shipping, so keep your eyes out for the mail.

T

OceaOtica

I've been checking out all those NEW pics that you have been posting on your MySpace page. Can't get over how great that Zombie-Moai group shot looks and how HUGE it looks in the hand. My kind of mug.

But the group shot of the Coltranes looks cherry. Looks to hold ideal in the hand.

K
Kahu posted on Sun, Apr 13, 2008 2:47 PM

Anyone else think we need to start a petition for "Son of Zombie" Mug? It is neat seeing all of the old mugs. I am excited to see what comes of the future.

Here is a one off Zombie mug. I will occasionally do these one offs, all are one of a kind customized greenware and will be finished with different paint /glaze styles. These are time consuming to make. I sculpt in details in each mug, and then paint in various wash layers. Definitely not something I will mass produce, but they are fun to make.
This zombie features greens greys and purples in various washes (kind of Basil Gogos in style), a spotty interior with the "zombie" in black. Holds approx. 13oz. Has "Ocea Otica 2008" on the bottom. Comes with an edition card.
This mug will be sold to the first person who contacts me. The price is $47 plus $12 ship/handle. Thanks you for looking.

Though most of my designs these days is based on traditional imagery, with a focus on PNG, the Zombie is a favorite theme because the Zombie cocktail is one of my favorites. Though not tiki, it plays a traditional role in polypop history and classic tropical cocktails.

K
Kahu posted on Sun, Apr 20, 2008 12:31 PM

Amazing color as always. WOW!

Hello everyone,
Back from set, back to ceramics.
On Saturday, 5/17 at 10 am (west coast time) those interested in purchasing the last Ona Tiki design, the Pohaku aa Ipu (rock lava cup), can personal message me here. I originally said I was not going to sell these because I was planning to sell them at an event, but can not attend that event now, so I am putting them up for sale here. You can see images of this mug on page 1 of this thread. There are 7 of these mugs available. The 1st seven to contact me after 10 am saturday can purchase a mug. All are multi colored with hand underglazed and stained lava rock black, oranges, yellows and reds. The interior is also colored with the reds, yellows and oranges, making everyone unique. Pohaku holds approx 20 oz, comes with an edition card, and the drink recipe i made for it in 2003. The price is $45 plus $12 shipping anywhere in the US. Once these are sold, thats it for this version, as I would not be able to reproduce these colors today. This was my favorite Ona Tiki mug to make, the shape is really interesting and it has a great feel for drinking out of.
I will at some point later do an Ocea Otica edition of this mug, simpler with multi colored glazes.
Tumbuna is coming soon. I am finishing up the last few mugs. There is quite a variety of colors and glaze styles to choose from. I hope to have these out by the end of the month. There is a one off Tumbuna up on Kingstiedye's ooga-mooga if you want to take a gander.
Thanks for your patience, and once again sorry for the wacky start stops and flip flops.

Aloha kaua

[ Edited by: OceaOtica 2008-05-15 09:32 ]

[ Edited by: OceaOtica 2008-05-15 10:15 ]

Bumpity... :D

I'm really looking forward to drinking lots of booze out one of these guys.

TK,
Let me know if you try the Pahoehoe Flow recipe on the edition card. It is a recipe i put together in the beginning of 2004, and have never revisited it.
Thanks

oops, double post

[ Edited by: OceaOtica 2008-05-20 15:16 ]

So here they are, after starting these about a year ago.
Tumbuna holds 26 ounces, and stands approx. 8 1/2 inches tall. This is a large mug. Each mug has cracks added in, making each mug a bit different.
As you can see in an earlier post, this is based on a New Guinea carving.
Below are the various color editions, with descriptions and their prices.

I figured the easiest way to handle this, being that there are 9 color variations, would be to start a reservation list on this thread, then i will go down the list, contacting each person to let them know what is still available. So this Saturday, May 24, at 10am west coat, you can respond to this thread to reserve. Please just post your name, and interest in reserving. The color editions will depend on whats left.

On a personal note, this has been the most fun I have had making mugs. Getting to experiment with different techniques, not locking myself into specific numbers, has made the process very interesting.
my pictures do not do these justice, the photos tend to flatten out and darken the colors

group shot

From the left:
Pink Coral edition, 1 available of ed of 2, $60.00 each
Myrmecodia Tuberosa edition, edition of 4, $46.00 each
SOLD OUTFull Painted edition, (featuring 5 colors) edition of 2, $65.00 each

From the left:
SOLD OUTSepik Lagoon Blue Crackle, edition of 2, $50.00 each, please note, this edition is meant for display only, though the interior is glazed with a solid blue, the crackle glaze on the outside makes it nonfood safe
SOLD OUTBlood of Manhood, edition of 2, $46.00 each, features a subtle two tone red
SOLD OUTSepik River Bank, edition of 2, $70.00 each, my favorite of the bunch, features underglazing of 7 colors, with a custom 3 pass glazing. Interior of each is unique burnt orange, hand mixed each time to make it unique. The photos really do not do this one justice, it is much more interesting and rich in person.

From the left:
Ashen Black, edition of 15, 13 available $42.00 each
Soil of New Guinea, edition of 6, 4 available, $70.00 each, this edition features 7 color underglaze, and spotty glaze finish, with hand mix burnt orange interior that is different on every mug.
Underbelly of the Grey Plover, edition of 15, $42.00 each. cant see it too well in the pic, but there is a reddish brown speckling throughout this glaze.

Shipping/handle/ins. will be $12.00 to anywhere in the US.

my attempt at a closer pic of the Sepik River Bank edition, though the colors still appear flat and darker in the pic.
Thank you for looking!
I hope to get some time to work out some cocktail recipes for this one, and will post a pick of the back and of filling this mug later.
link to Kingstiedye's ooga-mooga Bullet Orange Tumbuna 1 off
http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/pictures.cgi?mode=view&pic_id=29184&mug_id=114&ind_mug_id=22544

Aloha kaua

[ Edited by: OceaOtica 2008-05-20 19:53 ]

[ Edited by: OceaOtica 2008-05-21 10:05 ]

[ Edited by: oceaotica 2008-05-24 09:28 ]

[ Edited by: OceaOtica 2008-05-24 11:30 ]

Blood of Manhood please.

Tres por favor...

Full paint
Sepik River Bank
Blood of Manhood

I'd like a black full painted Tumbuna. Mahalo!

Reserved

Sepik River Bank Edition

sandz

[ Edited by: blacksandz 2008-05-24 10:10 ]

I would like to reserve an Ashen Black version.

Thank You!

Okay, a few people pm'ed me instead of posting. Ickytikitavi, hiphipahula i have you down.
Blood of Manhood, Sepik River Bank and Full Paint are sold out.
Thankyou

Aloha kaua

[ Edited by: OceaOtica 2008-05-24 10:24 ]

Pages: 1 2 88 replies