Pages: 1 2 3 4 160 replies

Z
Zeta posted on Wed, Dec 16, 2009 8:45 AM

Coco's coffee house Waikiki

Calabash bar??? someone please explain

I think Coco's is one of my favorite examples of Hawaiian Googie architecture:

On 2009-12-16 08:53, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
I think Coco's is one of my favorite examples of Hawaiian Googie architecture:

Correct me if I'm wrong but was Tops part of Coco's? I think they were at the same place. You can see the flashing diamond that Tops had at night at the 58 sec mark of the Hawaii 5-0 intro. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AepyGm9Me6w
Last time I checked it was a Hard Rock Cafe.

Naugatiki,

Information from the internet on the location of Coco's and Tops:

The Kau Kau Korner on the corner of Kapiolani and Kalakaua in the 1940s. The business was torn down in 1960 and replaced with Coco's Coffee House, which was torn down in 1986 to make way for The Hard Rock Cafe, which is currently on that location.

Tops coffee shop in 1956, on Ala Moana across Fort DeRussy. Some more great googie.

DC

M

Like that Top's photo, DC!

Just to add to that - I don't know much about the this Top's location, but it was the Top's in Kaneohe that was a coffee shop / tiki bar.

Thanks for the clarification, Hawaiian architecture peaked back then.

On 2009-12-16 08:45, Zeta wrote:

Calabash bar??? someone please explain

Sorry, I didn't answer Zeta's original question. A Calabash is a large gourd used in many cultures. I thought at first the name of this bar was in reference to the gourds used as Hawaiian helmets or musical instruments, but his explanation from Wikipedia seems more likely:

In Hawaii a calabash is a large serving bowl. It is usually made from a hardwood, rather than from the Calabash Gourd as in Maroon cultures. It is used on a buffet table or in the middle of the dining table. The use of the calabash in Hawaii has led to terms like "Calabash Family" or "Calabash Cousins". It indicates that an extended family has grown up around shared meals and close friendships. Food is very important in modern Hawaiian culture. The expression "E komo mai - Come, let's eat" was the standard welcome to anyone approaching a home.

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Dec 17, 2009 2:19 PM

Gracias Sabu!
So, I deduce that calabash bar means something like family and Friends bar? Like a bar for locals? Cozy? So did everybody drink from the same calabash? with long straws? Was the term calabash bar used only at Coco's?
So many questions...
Gabba gabba

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Jan 4, 2010 5:24 PM

Noa-Noa

Acapulco

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Jan 18, 2010 7:43 PM

Some crazy collector glued his matchbooks to an album...

This Noa-Noa hotel was probably something big, because there's a very popular 1970's Mexican song by "Juan Gabriel" that sings: "Vamos al Noa-Noa, Noa-Noa"

CJ

I think TCers could appreciate this. Does anyone know anything about Monkey Island?

On 2010-02-10 15:22, nature boy wrote:
Does anyone know anything about Monkey Island?

No, but we damn well should! 1000 Monkeys running free!? That sounds like Tiki Oasis! If one person would know about this, it would be Jim Heimann. Or Nichols. That would actually be a good question for his "Ask Chris" column in LA Magazine.

In the meantime, we have to hold ourselves over with this smashing match book:

Now that's a cool cat! Hey, what's he holding in his left hand!?

Could it be....? Indeed, ladies and gentlemen:

Whooa! A trumpet-playing nude dancer, now that IS classic!
If any of these establishments would still be around, which would I choose to visit first?
Monkeys, frogs, or trumpet strumpet...hmmm.

And so you don't think I am making this thing up, here is the artifact in one piece:

Spent the better part of this afternoon sorting through the 1,000+ vintage matchbooks I bought today.
Most are from the 1930's and 1940's pre-dating most tiki venues. I did find some curious close calls though...

Literally over 1,000...

A few military covers...

A mix of exotic places!

Anyone need some old matchbook covers!

Later,

PTD

Today...

Later,

PTD

Some from today's finds...

Threw in the Pollarville matchbook in memory of the Stockton Islander!

Later,

PTD

I found this a few weeks ago and thought one of Hefner's Witco tiki would have been a nice addition in the club.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 160 replies