Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Volcano Room -chicago....now, the apology....

Pages: 1 20 replies

thought i'd drop a note here just to let you folks know, that Mike, The owner of chicago's favorite local rock bar, Delilah's, has embarked on a new venue called bottom lounge, to be located near the east village west of the west loop area. The place is mainly a venue to see bands, have some food, music and of course, good drinks....Mike has been a fan of tiki for some time now, even helped out during exotica 2003 by having delilahs as a stop on the tour....long story short, the upstairs lounge is a separate room and bar called the "volcano room"....this is not going to be a full blown tiki room so don't get your expectations too high at this point...what it will have, is really great rum selections, frozen drinks and great tropical drinks....mike has always been about the booze and that is the main focus...the lounge opens up to one of the best outdoor seating decks with the most comanding view of the chicago skyline i have ever seen for a bar.....i can't wait to drink mai tais on summer nights out there.....guest d.j.'s will also be invited to spin at the upstairs booth too. I am trying to keep within mikes guide lines for the look of the bar, which will be more hinky dink's/sailor jerry/beverly hills trader vics in essence....think "1930/40's adventure bar, where folks like thor heyerdahl would stop in to tell tales of his adventures over rum and look at the strange carvings and souveniers brought back by him and ohters that will adorn the place....the place will also be host to many events...tiki and otherwise....in fact, this place would be a great location for another exotica event, as they have the room to house vendors, music, food, car show, whatever.....

again, this will not be really over the top, ...i don't want to build up too many expectations in terms of decor....but you can expect great drinks and atmoshpere....at this point i'm just tryin to keep the place from lookin too much like some mexican cantina on key west or some carribean parrot head lookin place....stay tuned....

"operation chaos is in effect!! RUSH the vote 2008!!"

[ Edited by: tipsy mcstagger 2008-03-25 10:10 ]

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-04-16 08:37 ]

Thanks Tipsy... keep us posted, buddy.

Right on!

C

Sounds interesting, Tipsy.
I look forward to checking it out when it opens up!

Cool news. I agree, Mike can really mix a drink.

this is great news. hopefully the will schedule shows alittle bit more frequently. Any word on the date when it will be in full swing? i might have to check out pegboy when they play.

On 2008-03-25 14:43, davealmost wrote:
this is great news. hopefully the will schedule shows alittle bit more frequently. Any word on the date when it will be in full swing? i might have to check out pegboy when they play.

as a matter of fact, i believe pegboy is the first band to open the place!!! ....i'll post an exact opening date when it becomes available.....

On 2008-03-25 10:08, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
to be located near the east village west of the west loop area.

Tipsy,

Love the directional references. I guess you have to be a Second City local to understand it.

Anyhoo, thanks for the 411 on this new place. I'll put on my Chicago list. Any more scoop on TV's opening date?

On 2008-03-25 17:17, rugbymatt wrote:

On 2008-03-25 10:08, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
to be located near the east village west of the west loop area.

Tipsy,

Love the directional references. I guess you have to be a Second City local to understand it.

Anyhoo, thanks for the 411 on this new place. I'll put on my Chicago list. Any more scoop on TV's opening date?

i know i know.......i'll post the exact address when i know what it is!!! LOL.........for now we'll just say " it's over by dare"!!!

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-03-25 17:45 ]

the word on the street is that it's going to be at 1375 w. lake. that might just be a rumor though.

You can check out the website http://www.bottomlounge.com/ which at this point will only show you the floor plan for both main floor and the upstairs. Very impressive space!
If you want to read the article Tipsy mentioned in his original post go to http://www.suntimes.com/index.html and type Bottom Lounge in the search box.

K
Kahu posted on Wed, Mar 26, 2008 8:53 AM

Pass on my best wishes also, even if it is not a full blown tiki bar nothing wrong with having another great place to find a good tropical drink.

well...my usual suspicions are confirmed....after doing the legwork and emailing all the necessary info to mike miller, he once again has not failed to disappoint me...i have not heard back from him in weeks, since i first posted this thread...which basically means, no volcano room...at least not by my hand. this place is set to open this weekend....i have no idea what's in store or if anything has been done with the place at all.....anyway, just wanted to give you a heads up that at this point, the volcano room is dead in the water.....sorry to have gotten anyones hopes up....

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-04-16 08:37 ]

It's fantastic and you're keeping it all to yourself, aren't you. We're onto you, McStagger.

let us know how many thumbs up.

i'm speculating that since all shows at the bottom lounge have either been cancelled or moved until 5/2, it might be a bit before it opens up.

On 2008-04-16 11:59, davealmost wrote:
i'm speculating that since all shows at the bottom lounge have either been cancelled or moved until 5/2, it might be a bit before it opens up.

..see?? this is the shit i'm talkin about.....why do i have to find out through a tiki forum what should be communicated to me directly through the person who is employing me?? yeesh....

..if anyone wants to pick up this banner and deal with this guy, then have at it....i don't have time for this crap....

see ya opening night round the bar....at least i know the drinks will be good!!

http://bottomlounge.com/

The pigs have flown and it's finally open.

and the reports are coming in already.......my friend andrew went tonight and here is what he has revealed.....

..there are no menus ...waitresses recite from memory....

...there are no credit card machines at this time......bring cash or you are screwed....

they snuck upstairs to see the volcano room (which was closed) and found five lousy tikis...and nothing else.....no decor.....but they did manage to paint all the air ducts on the ceiling black (so they disappear ) per my suggestion....

and incidentally, the tikis are indonisian re-pops bought from zapp props here in chicago.....

so in summary, they have done absolutely nothing with the volcano room as far as decor.....and they are barely equipped to function as it is....obviously opened in a hurry just to get some money comin in.......

have a nice time!!

Sometimes I get frustrated cause we don't have ANY Tiki Bars in the Sacramento area........but then I look at situations like this or the Trader Vics in Las Vegas and think maybe it is a blessing. If it isn't done right, it is hardly worth getting excited over. :(

LO AND BEHOLD!!

THE EMBARRASSMENT THAT IS THE VOLCANO ROOM!!!!!!!

simon sez......you suck!!

However...the upper deck does have a killer view......

but one can't help but feel.......

Pages: 1 20 replies