Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Tiki Jam ,#4 a t Benzarts? LIVE Broadcast,,Check it!

Pages: 1 2 3 123 replies

B

Anyone interested in a Florida Chop at my house on May 3rd/4th? Not many details yet but we have a decent amount of parking and carving space, a fenced in back yard (with 4 small dogs)a guest bedroom and a pull out couch in my office. If you ever wanted to see the Benzart shop and get a lesson or 2, C'mon over down or up which ever it will be.
Post here or PM me with questions and info. Hopefully we can have at least a half dozen or many more Tiki Peeps here all having fun, fun and more fun!
Paipo, you and Tama are invited too as well as the rest of you guys from down Under.

myspace

[ Edited by: Benzart 2008-05-03 13:16 ]

L
Loki posted on Fri, Mar 28, 2008 7:02 AM

Count us in Benzo...cant wait...is it May yet?

Anything we can do to help, just ask.

[ Edited by: Loki 2008-03-28 07:02 ]

B

All Right Loki, you Made my day, Really happy you guys can make it!
HappyHappyHappy

I'm planning on attending if my schedule works out! And if I can help with anything as well just let me know..

Yee-Haw & Aloha,

The Hukilau

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki 2008-03-28 07:17 ]

B

Excellent, Hope you DO Make it Tiki-Kiliki, it's been a Long time. Don't know what we need yet but a good bet would be beverage and supplies. Most importantly, bring yourself and any other tiki nuts from Lauderdale!

I'll be there and probably drag wplugger with me. Anyone want to carpool? Or should I say - does anyone want to be my designated driver?

P

Uke. Check.
Libations. Check.
First Aid Kt. Check.

W

Ben.
Couldn't have it without me.

J

Well, since it looks like this is the official thread ...
I'll be there with a friend on Sunday for a few hours before continuing down the coast for my first visit to the Mai Kai. I'm really looking forward to meeting a bunch of the Florida Ohana! Not sure what I can bring since all my bar supplies will still be on the West Coast, but I think I could wrangle up a few mugs to throw in my suitcase.

B

Whoa!

This Shop Chop truly has the potential to be one Epic event...way to go Ben!! I sure wished So Cal. wasn't sooo far away! I would be at this in a doo-dah minute if I could.

If'n I was coming, I would be bringing a mess of good fiddles of some sort or another!

You guys are going to have so much fun!!

Andy and I are so there!

I still suck at carving, at least in the wood medium. I would be more than happy to carve out some drinks.......

G

Ben, we'll try to be there!

B

Aloha, Great to hear you will be there and with Will to Boot, Thanks

Pablus, Check, check and check, See you there.

Will thanks, Glad you will make it.

Jen, just bring you! Thanks.

Babalu, Thanks for the kind words and the encouragement, I Know how the Chops out there have really brought you guys together and how so many Peeps are getting excellent tips from the pros. I would really love to see this turned into a monthly event here in South Florida.

Chip and Andy, Well if you keep hanging around these things you will learn more than you ever wanted to know. I'm Glad you guys will be here.

GatorRob, I really hope that you guys Can make it, that would be great!

What do we call this thing, SoCal already has a Chop and we really need our own Name. Actually, thinking about it we should keep the Original by Loki: "South Florida Tiki JAm" and this will be #4 I believe. Izzat OK with everyone?
I have a lot of wood including a few Palm trunks if anyone needs it.
Does everyone know where I am? PM me for the Address and phone number.
Happy HAPPY Happy

myspace

[ Edited by: Benzart 2008-03-31 09:20 ]

L
Loki posted on Tue, Apr 1, 2008 12:26 PM

Hey Ben, I'll sell you the name :wink:

It's yours as long as we keep the torches burning and keep doing them. I just couldnt do one this year, its a lot of work. Glad you are taking the lead.
See ya in a few weeks.

M
mieko posted on Tue, Apr 1, 2008 4:00 PM

Ben, you guys are going to have a great time! I'm so jealous! :)

On 2008-03-31 08:13, Benzart wrote:
Babalu, Thanks for the kind words and the encouragement, I Know how the Chops out there have really brought you guys together and how so many Peeps are getting excellent tips from the pros. I would really love to see this turned into a monthly event here in South Florida.

Oooh, if this does turn into a monthly thing, I'll put in a vote for the week before Hukilau, 6/7 or 6/8 as I should be out there at that time. If there was any way I could make it to the May one, I totally would as it sounds like such a great group to hang out with!

Getting a group of creative people like this together is an amazing thing! We're all lucky to have Ben as such a great teacher, without his willingness to share and teach, we wouldn't be where we are today.

Mieko

B

Thanks Loki, I figured If we kept the same name then people would already be in the habit so when they hear :Tiki Jam" they would know to gather up their tool and stuff and get ready to rumble. Hopefully we can make this happen on Regular basis and have it spread out in several locations. There are other options I think we can check out too!
Now I'm wishing it was SOONER! Can't wait. Of course Jen Tiki will be there Sunday and timidtiki it trying to make it from Afar up north. Can't Wait!

Aloha Benz,

Got room for me?

I'll try to get that weekend off from my new job.

The Corperation I'm working for now is pretty cool.

Maybe I'll make up some lie to get them to ship me out to their

So. FL. building!!!

All is good!

B

Sounds Great Ben, I Know the guy who owns the company, he's a great friend of mine. I'm Sure I can have him Fly you out here in his new Corp jet. COOL!

B

WOW it looks like this thing is Gonna happen. Sherry and I just returned from a weeks cruise including Jamaica and we brought back a few bottles of decent Rum, Appleton's for one. It is coming up pretty quick so get ready.
Any of you Hukilauers who would like to come up om Sunday Or monday I'll be here Monday and Sherry and I will be here Sunday and We will be at the Hukilau on Saturday, seeing as many of you guys as we can, Look For Me!

Aloha Ben! I'll see you at your Carvin Chop in May , and I look forward to meeting everyone else that is coming! It will be Alot of fun , Aloha, Mooney

B

WOW< I can't believe it's only 2 weeks away!
FunFunFun

YeeHaw! I will be driving in Saturday via State Rd. 70 from Sarasota. Looking forward to my first Chop!

[ Edited by: Bohemiann 2008-04-23 09:39 ]

B

For a link to Map Quest and my addy PM Me and I'll get it to you

For anyone with a Florida Turnpike Sun Pass you can exit the Becker road exit # 138 or without the Sun Pass exit on Port St Lucie Blvd, xit# 142 unless you take I95 then take the Gatlin Rd xit# 118, but then Mapquest tells all that.
Who all is still planning to attend?

myspace

[ Edited by: Benzart 2008-04-23 20:10 ]

J

I'm still in for Sunday. I'm really looking forward to this!
Thanks!

its going to be a nice time. Ben is a gracious host.

wish I was going

G

Sunday is looking like the day for us. I come bringing neither chisels nor chainsaws, but Nui Nui's. :) But if you're operating a chainsaw or have a sharp instrument in your hand, you don't get one. At least not if you're going to stand near me.

Andy and I are in! Just tell us which day.

B

Looks like Saturday And Sunday for lots of peeps, Right now I think most will be here Saturday. Come find a place to hang out ans sleep where-ever.

I'll be there Saturday. Anyone interested in bringing a tiki item to contribute to a blind swap? You can create it or bring something worthy that you have.

P

I'm planning on Saturday.

Chip, can you bring a few of the more rare additives?
I should have limes, lemons, oranges, grapefruit, orgeat and rum. And a couple of large punch bowls.

On 2008-04-24 13:28, pablus wrote:
I'm planning on Saturday.

Chip, can you bring a few of the more rare additives?

Like?

I can get a fresh batch of Orgeat together.... that reminds me! GatorRob, you coming over?

I have a Peach Liqueur that should be ready to go.

I have some Blueberry Liqueur from Loki and Stumpgrinder that is a lot of fun.

I don't have much Falernum left, but I could probably hurry a batch if you don't mind it having a bit of heat around the edges.

G

GatorRob, you coming over?

Yes, but we can only do one day. If we get a consensus on when most people are coming over, we'll plan for that day I guess. We were thinking Sunday, but we're flexible. I've got some Pimento Dram I'd be happy to share. Homemade coffee liqueur too. And I have some Falernum if you need it. Not the homemade variety I'm afraid, but Fee's.

Jen - Any way you could come Saturday? We're hoping we get to see you again.

P

Alcohol and chain saws. No better combo.

Yeah guys, that stuff will work. Surely we can create something wonderful for the carvers to refresh themselves with.
Then when they're all passed out - we'll steal the tikis.

J

On 2008-04-25 03:34, GatorRob wrote:
Jen - Any way you could come Saturday? We're hoping we get to see you again.

Sorry, no way I can make it on Saturday. I am required to attend the closing night festivities Saturday night in Orlando (Cyndi Lauper night), and that's our day at Epcot.

If anyone is interested, I can whip up a batch of my ginger syrup this weekend and bring a few small bottles of that along for Ben and those doing the mixing on Sunday. You can't make a Queen's Road Cocktail without it ya know! I might bring a few Forbidden Island goodies with me as well.

B

I think Saturday will see more people and for those who are coming from far away, stay over Sat nite and start again Sunday morning then the drive won't be so bad going home. I'm ready for both days.
Does everyone know where we are?

B

[ Edited by: Benzart 2008-04-25 19:59 ]

B

Since I don't drink, I will have to watch you guys around the tikis, HA HA :lol: when the carvers are passed out.
I have an Espresso machine we can stay awake on.
I guess we need to have a list here to see who says they will be here and when so Just add it here I guess?

L
Loki posted on Sat, Apr 26, 2008 5:14 AM

Saturday.

I am planning on coming in Sat. My arrival time is flexible and depends on how much I drink Fri. but I was thinking between Noon and 2:00.

Ben, what time would you like to see ppl start to arrive?

AlohaStation, I'm game for tiki item for a blind swap. Are there some rules, guidelines or parameters to follow like a minimum or maximum value or a minimum amount of participation for it to even happen? Anyone else interested?

Pablus - "rare additives" - I was just in Oahu and bought some Macadamia Nut liqueur, which could be very good or very bad. I'll be happy to bring it.

I'm looking forward to coming although I'm a bit intimidated by the skill levels of my fellow carvers, Ive just been making it up as I go along. So far Ive just been palm trunk/ chainsaw hacker but I would love to make the jump to hardwood/ hand-tool carver even though it probably means I am going to be spending a fortune on new tools. I plan to be a sponge and absorb at least as much knowledge as libation, hopefully more of the former.

B

Any time Bo but I plan on starting as early as 10.
I know there are several Peeps coming from your area, Any of you guys carpooling? I know it's hard with everyone having different schedules but it may help.
We can do the next one on the West coast and I'll be there, it's only Fair.

P

MMMMMacadamia Nut - That means some "Prince Kuhios"

From a previous thread in Food and Drink:

2 oz Macadamia Nut Liqueur (I like Kahana Royale)
1.5 oz Amber Rum ( I used Pritchard's tonight... it's pretty good)
2 oz pineapple
.75 oz of OJ
dash of marischino syrup
teaspoon of lemon juice

Saturday. And probably be carpooling with Will. If anyone else wants to caravan up we can meet at my house in Deerfield before hitting the road?

As for the swap - no rules, just making it up as we go. I'll contribute a necklace - just keep it interesting and fun.

I've not tried Macadamia Nut liqueur. That's one thing I don't have. So is this a carving chop or a mixology meet? I forget. :wink:

I might be riding down with GatorRob. I'll know better later in the week.

B

Hey Flounder, Long time! It would be Great if you came down.

Gator I'm sure it will be a mix of both with some fun in between!

Benz - better fill up your water bottle. Your little buddies are going to go crazy!! Looking forward to seeing and meeting the Florida Ohana. Should I bring my tent?

W

I could be up for an inprompto mini swap. I have started on some fresh cement molds & could throw in a lil cement mask everyone will want to go home with.
I will also do my swap with Robin as I will be looking for my Toki.

B

Aloha, yes, I have the Big bottle ready, Hopefully the brats will calm down after the first hour or so. Yes another tent probably wouldn't hurt!
I might be able to find something or two to swap out you never know around here!

Is there anyone still planning on staying over??
3 more days

Pages: 1 2 3 123 replies