Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Tiki Jam ,#4 a t Benzarts? LIVE Broadcast,,Check it!

Pages: 1 2 3 123 replies

H
harro posted on Wed, Apr 30, 2008 5:49 AM

sounds like it'll be a blast. make sure someone takes plenty of pics for those of us that cant make it.

hope y'all have a great time!

Hey Ben do you have a small log (4-6 inch diameter) I can carve? I might be able to find something but just in case. It looks like I'll most likely be making the trip.

Just sharpened all my carving tools! I'm ready to go.

L
Loki posted on Wed, Apr 30, 2008 6:28 AM

On 2008-04-30 01:56, Benzart wrote:
Aloha, yes, I have the Big bottle ready, Hopefully the brats will calm down after the first hour or so. Yes another tent probably wouldn't hurt!
I might be able to find something or two to swap out you never know around here!

Is there anyone still planning on staying over??
3 more days

Looks like someone is a bit excited about this weekend;-)

So, who is on the official list of attendees?

G

Music... Other than Pablus' uke, is there any desire for music? I've got an mp3 player loaded with surf, lounge, exotica, hapa haole, etc (among lots of other rock-oriented stuff) that I could bring, but I don't have a decent-sounding portable audio system to play it through. Just need something that sounds good and has a standard mini audio IN jack or standard L/R stereo audio IN. Can someone else provide that? Ben, what do you think?

I was planning on staying over.
I am restoring a 14' 1966 Shasta camper and need to road test it on short trip anyway, That is if it would not be an imposition on parking it or having the unsightly beast around. It cleans up nice but, unfortunatley, it's at it's least aesthetic stage at this moment of restoration, but I should road test it before I sink any more time and $ into it. It used to be pretty sweet back in the day but it has been neglected for about ten years and I recently was told to clean it up or get ride of it! Here is what it looked like 18 years ago when the Wahine and I took it for a three month cross country honeymoon.

Anyway, it will either work famously or disintegrate by the time It reaches Arcadia (funny.....we said the same thing about our marriage 18 years ago).
I may be cruising it down to the MaiKai sunday night if it is still in on piece when I get to Benz.

[ Edited by: Bohemiann 2008-04-30 07:34 ]

Has there been an estimated arrival time established?

B

Flounder, No problem with wood I think there is Plenty around here.
Loki, Who,Me?, Official list I haven't seen yet.
Bo, sure bring it on. You may not need it but no one here is going to complain!.

Please do count me in on the stay over. Miami is a long haul after a few rum drinks? Is there anything I can bring to contribute?

B

Yes Dreamer, stay over if you like. How is Miami these days(my Home town)?

Here is a list of everyone who has posted here their intent to come in no special order.
Dreamer
Aloha Station
WPlugger
Loki
Boheniann
Gator Rob
Flounderart
Chip & Andy
Pablus
Jentiki
Mooneytiki
GMAN
And Robin
Who did I miss?
Tiki Kiliki! YEAY

myspace

[ Edited by: Benzart 2008-04-30 12:32 ]

[ Edited by: Benzart 2008-04-30 19:10 ]

R

I'll be there....really looking forward to meeting everybody. I'll spend the night too if that's o.k...got my van fixed....and ready for a test run. Maybe Bohemiann and I should caravan to make sure we make it! On with the show.

Hey Ben....wanna give me a heads up on what to bring, or anything you might need? Food/beverages/tools/carving material?

[ Edited by: Robin 2008-04-30 12:43 ]

B

Hi Robin
Quote from Robin. "Hey Ben....wanna give me a heads up on what to bring, or anything you might need? Food/beverages/tools/carving material?"
Well let's See.. Where do I start.
You can bring your rock saw and maybe a rock, pref green.
You can bring stuff you're working on, you can bring you.
You can bring anything or anyone you would like, just be here :lol: :lol:

On 2008-03-28 05:11, Benzart wrote:

Paipo, you and Tama are invited too as well as the rest of you guys from down Under**

Oh man, a personal invite? I sure wish I could be there guys - Ive just seen the list of participants and some of the 'ingredients' that are going to be there. Sounds like one helluva party to me - carving? bah..

**Be sure to raise a crazed mugfull to Paipo and myself - perhaps the KiwiBoyz will coincide with a drinkie of our own..?

Tama :)

B

Tama, you have it, what will be a good time for youse guys so we can get it together? Oh and we WILL be doing some carving and I'll shoot some Piccies for proof and drink the other proof.

It's official, I'll be there, late but I'll be making it. I'll be leaving from Fort Lauderdale at 2:30pm and arriving around 5 hopefully.

See everyone there!

B

On 2008-04-30 07:24, GatorRob wrote:
Music... Other than Pablus' uke, is there any desire for music? I've got an mp3 player loaded with surf, lounge, exotica, hapa haole, etc (among lots of other rock-oriented stuff) that I could bring, but I don't have a decent-sounding portable audio system to play it through. Just need something that sounds good and has a standard mini audio IN jack or standard L/R stereo audio IN. Can someone else provide that? Ben, what do you think?

I think we can hook Something up with out too much fuss. I have a little CD player in the shop that plays mp3's on cd and it should have an audio input if not I have a drill, we could drill a hole and plug in a plug, no?? :lol: We will have tunes by hook or by crook.

K

sounds like fun Benz wish I could be there!!!!

B

C'mon Over Ken! You can DO It.

W

Perhaps we could set up a telecaster thing with the chislers down under ???

B

That would be great if we can talk them into starting with us at 2am instead of sleeping! At 6am when I am shouting with them they are ready togo to bed since it's midnight there. maybe we can work something out!

See you you all soon. Can't wait to see my ohana!

P
pablus posted on Thu, May 1, 2008 7:00 AM

I think I talked Hot Lava into coming over with me.

I'm also debating hooking up my trailer and bringing this 2 year aged palm log that is 7 feet high and very wide.

I would love to see someone with some skills tear into that thing.

We'll see though - it's starting to sound like work and I try as much as possible to avoid that.

B

On 2008-05-01 07:00, pablus wrote:

I think I talked Hot Lava into coming over with me.

I'm also debating hooking up my trailer and bringing this 2 year aged palm log that is 7 feet high and very wide.

I would love to see someone with some skills tear into that thing.

We'll see though - it's starting to sound like work and I try as much as possible to avoid that.

I think there will be a few who would like to take a few chunks out of it. Sounds like Fun
Flounder, Me Too!

HL

Trying to get in on the action but unable so far to hook up with pablus! Grrrr...

B

Hot Lava, If you can't reach Pablus, just come on over with your wife and kid, we'd love to have you and I Know Pablus was trying to reach you. PM me your # in case I hear from him we will get you here by hook or by crooked-tiki.
Cheers.
Benz

Broadcasting Live!
http://www.justin.tv/bohemiann

H
harro posted on Sat, May 3, 2008 4:47 PM

On 2008-05-03 12:11, Bohemiann wrote:
Broadcasting Live!
http://www.justin.tv/bohemiann

when?

Had an absolute blast today!

Thank you for hosting this fun event!

Next time we'll do it at our place and we can all jump in the pool when were done!

L
Loki posted on Sat, May 3, 2008 8:51 PM

Huge Mahalo to ya Benzo. Great day. Thanks for hosting all of us crazy fools. Good to see all the Ohana too.

On 2008-05-03 12:11, Bohemiann wrote:
Broadcasting Live!

Argh, missed it..! Can I ask that anyone who took piccies post them here? Puh-leeeease! Hope you all had a good time!

T :)

B

Good Morning TC Land. We had a Great time yesterday Pictures will follow later.
You can see the archives of the live broadcast from yesterday HERE (hope that works)

Aloha to all!!!

Mahalo to ben and sherry for hosting a very fun time. I hope to stay longer next time (as my daughters birthday wont be on he same day), but I had alot of fun meeting everyone and putting those smilin faces with the Tc names, and Mahalo to all that i met it was a pleasure and an honor to meet so many nice and incredably talented Artists,Aloha your friend, Mooney

Thanks to Benz and Sherry for hosting the TikiJam. Actually got something accomplished yesterday and had a blast doing it. Like Mooney said it was cool putting faces with names. After nursing my hangover from the Mai Kai, Chips concoctions brought me back to life. The highlight for me was carving to the live music. Thanks again and I'll see most of you at Hukilau in a month.

G

What a great time we had yesterday! It was really fun watching you guys turn a hunk of wood into a work of art. Thanks to Ben and Sherry for opening their home to us and for providing some great food (the salmon kabobs were spectacular!), and to pab and Hot Lava for the soundtrack to the day. Looking forward to next year!

P
pablus posted on Sun, May 4, 2008 9:47 AM

Mahalo, Mr. and Mrs. Benz-o-dreen (and the fab four furriers) for your warmth and the use of that awesome kitchen in which Chip and I played "what if we were bartenders at the Mai Kai?"

It was awesome to see the carvers working. I'm kind of a groupie that way. Some of the already finished work was spectacular and the pieces that were being carved were fascinating to watch unfold.

Good to see my brother, flounder there, too...all smilin' and everythang.

Bohemiann's camper is the coolest thing on wheels - except maybe Will's truck.

You all made the 5.5 hour driving time love-bug filled splattering windshield washing every 8 minutes sojourn well worth it.

(Let's do it again next weekend.)

What, No Pictures??!!

Hey that was awesome! Thanks Ben and Sherry. Nice to meet some new FL ohana too.

We need to keep this FL tiki group together! "East Coast Tiki Revival"©

I would like to have one of these at my house some day. Maybe in the fall if people are willing to travel to Orlando. Pretty centrally located. Have a swimming pool and nice size yard for carving.

I'll pick a better piece of wood and be more prepared next time.

Pablus I miss you already!

Thanks Ben for the mugs, pendant, and shirt also

Mahalo

R
Robin posted on Sun, May 4, 2008 12:48 PM

Many thanks to Ben and Sherry for hosting this event. I had a great time. The work is much nicer and better to see in person the people are even nicer and better than that! So nice to meet all of you!

Sherry cooked a great meal for us ...over the top...thanks Sherry...Chip made fabulous beautiful drinks early on (but not to early), and did some carving too. Aloha Station carved the whole time which was amazing...what a trooper. Got to meet Loki and see him start a wonderful carving....Flounder is so cute :),and carved a piece of Pygmy Date Palm. Bo got it all on film AND tore up a log with a chainsaw, and brought his friend Chris who is now going to become a carver I'm sure. Jimmy Mooney finished a piece for Jordan, GR's son, who was so interested in all the carving. AStation gave his piece to Jordan as well....lucky Jordan, and what a nice gesture from these two guys. Plugger and I finally made our trade...Thanks Plugger...love my Tiki. Hi Priscilla! Greentikipat showed up with his daughter and his amzing latest carving which is to die fore. AND THEN!!!!! we were serenaded by Pablus (who also regaled us with mixology as well) and that really nice fella whose name I can't remember...damn I'm sorry...but I do remember the music! Good stories and fun from Tiki Kiliki and friend...sorry another name I've lost. We even got to talk to Buzzy and Zaya online....it just doesn't get much better!

I got to cut rocks for Ben with THE SAW as we like to call it, and he helped me fix my handpiece with the bent spring...thanks Ben. I'll post my pics pretty soon. Just got home.

Thanks again Ben and Sherry, it was great!

[ Edited by: Robin 2008-05-04 12:57 ]

W

Wow, Robin summed it all up. I don't think she left out one detail, except what great time Priscilla & I had. My Toki is way better tham it shows in pics. Thanks again.
Ben & Sherry are the bomb, but we knew that.
Thanks all
Will
PS. Hows Joe feeling today ???

[ Edited by: wplugger 2008-05-04 13:03 ]

It sounds as though you all had a blast! Im so jealous. Thanks for the rundown on events Robin, the way you described it was almost like being there.

PS: the archived video footage doesnt seem to be working, so any stills from the day would be greatly appreciated.

G

Some pictures from yesterday. I'm sorry I don't have a picture of everyone, so others will need to fill in the gaps.

The gallery of tikis. I woke up this morning with Will's awesome big "hair" tiki in my car. Anybody know how it got there? :wink:

The gallery of carvers...

AlohaStation.

Loki.

Flounder.

Chip.

MooneyTiki.

The master Benz.

Bohemiann.

Pablus and Hot Lava giving us some great tunes!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

R
Robin posted on Sun, May 4, 2008 3:19 PM

OK...some pics..not necessarily in any kind of order.

Inspiration contributed by Plugger, Mooney, and Aloha Station

Getting serious.... Flounder,Plugger, Ben and Chip

Mooney and his Lono...

Lunchtime...whoa was that good...Gator Rob is taking a mixology break by doing some dishes or something.

Sherry with cake hand decorated by Ben...yum.

Greentikipat, Chip with never ending suppy of fancy drinks and good cheer, Pablus, GTP's daughter, Ben and amazing carving.

Flounder's Tiki

Music...Chip is adding percussion with a cup of ice, and Aloha Station just kept on carving. Sorry I didn't get a picture of the finished piece...maybe someone else did...it was one of those really nice dowel carvings he does. Bo's trailer in the background.

Chip with two...count 'em...two drinks as he carves....very warm yesterday. All the pictures I have of Chip, he has a different colored cup in hand, and a smile. Yay Chip.

Bo...ever seen a happier guy with a chainsaw...and his friend Chris.

Loki with his mahogany Maori influenced carving...Hi Loki...looking forward to more of this one...he got a great start.

And finally...Ben lunging after that log!

Great fun...

Thanks again Ben, Sherry and the Florida Ohana.

[ Edited by: Robin 2008-05-04 17:47 ]

B

Wow, such nice words and thoughts. After a couple naps today I finally felt Almost back to Normal. JEn Tiki anad friend came by for a visit this afternoon on their way toi the Mai Kay and Don't forget they will be there this evening so go on down and see them and the other TC ohana that will be there.
Joe was UP this Morning Early, PAINTING His HOUSE and readily admitted to having an enormous hang-over but he kept up the painting all day long and actually finished the house ! A Tough old guy!!

Tama, I can't get the JustinTV films up either, I'll see if I can find out why.
Here are a few pictures although they are similar to all those already posted.
Thanks everyone for making this a great Chop/party.

H
harro posted on Sun, May 4, 2008 5:32 PM

Cool!!

Looked like a great day!! And a great mix of people too.

Thanks for uploading the pics!

:)

[ Edited by: harro 2008-05-04 17:33 ]

Choice! Thanks everyone - keep them coming if anyones got more..

Looks like you had a perfect day for it - the sunshine is a good excuse for drinks, and the drinks a good excuse for munchy food. mmmmmmmm

Great to see so much creativity happening in one place and everyone working on something different.

BenZ: busting out the biggest carve of all! Its no wonder you get tired and sore.. :lol:
Good on you Ben and Sherry, the host/hostess with the most/mostest!

ps: (cool pendant Aloha! :wink: )

G

Robin,

Here's AlohaStation's pendant...

BEFORE:

AFTER:

I was prety surprised when Tom gave it to my son at the end of the day. All in all, he came home with that, a Benzart pendant, a MooneyTiki etching and a Flounder print! You should see his collection! You guys are really great...

On 2008-05-04 15:19, Robin wrote:
Chip with two...count 'em...two drinks as he carves....very warm yesterday. All the pictures I have of Chip, he has a different colored cup in hand, and a smile. Yay Chip.

Well.... I kept getting bits of wood in my cocktail so it had to be refreshed often.

Rob my pleasure. Thanks for the picture. I had a camera in my pocket all day and never took a single picture! The beginning of the day was a blur as I was nursing a healthy hang over. Here's a picture of me the night before at the Mai Kai. This was the bottom of #3, and yes, I had one more. Thats my excuse for zoning on carving - Chip's concoctions brought me out of my funk. Robin you were right - Hair of the Dog!! Enjoy.

Ben, forgive me for not posting until now. As you know we left in the afternoon yesterday and boy do I wish I had taken you up on the suggestion to nap prior to leaving! I was nodding off the entire drive home until Karbora called with the same problem and we helped guide one another home!

I had such a wonderful time, as always, with the ohana. Many thanks to Ben & Sherry for hosting the event, Pablus for the tunes & the Concubine, Chip for the cocktails and laughs, Flounder for the awesome prints and delivering my new painting and everyone for the great hugs and stories. It was nice to get away!!

Everyone's carvings look wonderful!!

Yee-Haw & Aloha,

The Hukilau

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki 2008-05-05 04:12 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 123 replies