Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Blind Squirrel Rum?

Pages: 1 10 replies

A

Anybody ever heard of this rum?

http://www.blindsquirrelrum.com/

Apparently they've invaded Shelter Island in San Diego.

God. Now that Rum is shaping up to be an up and coming spirit, there's gonna be an avalanche of new designer rums. I have yet to find ONE that matches the old classics. Sailor Jerry, Redrum (Notrum), Trader Vic's, Tommy Bahama, you name it, they're all wrong.

M

But they appeal to a marketing demographic! How could they be wrong? (sarcasm)

TP

On 2008-04-03 11:13, bigbrotiki wrote:
God. Now that Rum is shaping up to be an up and coming spirit, there's gonna be an avalanche of new designer rums. I have yet to find ONE that matches the old classics. Sailor Jerry, Redrum (Notrum), Trader Vic's, Tommy Bahama, you name it, they're all wrong.

I think Sailor Jerry is a pretty good spiced rum, better than Captain Morgans.

RedRum clashes with a lot of mixers but is very good with cranberry juice.

Tommy Bahama isn't that good.

A

Am I missing something? What's the connection between squirrels and rum?

I do know the connection between blindness and too much rum.

Curzamnis mewb to me but not to those in the know... damn good Mia Tai tonight.

From the website....

Blind Squirrel Rum is now available at the famous Bali Hai restaurant in San Diego.

This is a proud moment for all of us at Blind Squirrel Rum. San Diego's Bali Hai is home to arguably one of the finest Mai Tai's in the world and we dare say the "Mai Tai Squirrel Version" makes for an outstanding variation on their traditional recipe. We know this is a bold statement, but next time you are there do a taste test and tell us - and the bartenders - what you think! And if you see a Catalina 27 on the dock, try and find us... you might get a free hat!

They probably named it, "Blind Squirrel" as an inside joke, and a play on the old saying. They figure even a rum named Blind Squirrel (B.S.?) will sometimes find a nut, who will buy it.

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2008-04-04 13:55 ]

"Mai Tai Squirrel Version"..would probably make me go nuts.

This timeline doesn't really inspire me to try it:

Having settled upon a name, and a mascot, BSR's founders set out to find a suitable rum.

Pages: 1 10 replies