Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Island's Resturant

Pages: 1 17 replies

T

Yes, I am a newbie, but I do understand what we mean here at TC by "Tiki". Knowing that it is not authentic Tiki, do we like (cause I know it's not love) or hate the Island's Resturant chain? I went for the first time. They did have a tiki on the bar and some good masks, thatch and bamboo. It was fairly okay, needed better music for sure. It's got to be hard to do a "tiki chain". Just wanted to know how you all felt about it. I think they're only on the west coast.

They make great Baja Tacos so that's good enough for me! :)

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

WooHoo Islands! Most of them have been decorated with things from Oceanic Arts :)

Though that is true, and O.A. is THE source for America's classic Tiki temples, much of their stuff used there is garishly painted. "The Islands" vibe is just what their name promises: so-called generic "Island life style", not true Tiki. The chain's color palette, with its Miami tones and Fiesta feeling is commercial, so I don't blame them, but hard core Tikiphiles feel that it is exactly that wishy washy non-committal Surfing/Tommy Bahama/Jimmy Buffet look that waters down real Tiki culture, which is primarily Polynesian, not "Wherever" Beach, be it Mexico, Bahamas, Florida, OR Hawaii.

J

If you do a search for "Islands Restaurant" you will come across several threads that discuss the TC population's opinions.

T

That all ends up being the Hanalei's Island Restaurant. I figured it would be a split. Sven, I'm honored that you even replied to my silly question. Your Book of Tiki is what pushed me over the dark side.

J

My apologies. I thought that was the one you were talking about.

M

I will eat a Maui Burger (best burger Ive ever eaten) inside one of the Islands Restaurants any day over eating salsbury steak in a coco's.

Its not a classic Tiki temple by any means but it beats the pants off the decor in any other casual dining chain that Ive been to.

we need places like that to at least keep the decorative theme of island appeal and tiki in the mainstream view...

M

duplicate post

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2008-04-03 23:34 ]

BM

those in AZ are pretty much island & surf oriented --provides cool relief from the HEAT & DESERT outside plus they have surf videos on CONSTANTLY--their Mai-Tai is NOT the worst either
,,,BUT it could be MORE tiki...ABSOLUTELY

P

Personally, I do not consider Islands to be Tiki. Yeah, there may be a tiki or two in there and they serve something that they call a mai tai, but that doesn't make it tiki.

That said, I still go there because the food is pretty good and their pina colada isn't terrible. But if I am looking for Tiki, I'll head to Bahooka, Sam's or Damon's.

For a point of reference, I also don't consider King's Hawaiian (in Torrance) to be Tiki, either. Great Hawaiian food and wonderful island vibe, yes... but not really tiki. How tiki Damon's is is also debateable, but close enough.

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Apr 3, 2008 5:08 PM

I took a food-loving Canadian friend to every Tiki and Hawaiian themed place I could think of last year, all the way up the coast to LA. There was no explanation of Tiki vs. Tropical, etc etc. We went everywhere. I did it as a science experiment. His favorites were, in order:

1. The Hawaiian Burger at Islands. (Big pineapple slice and teriyaki sauce)
  2. Everything at King's in Torrance.
  3. Drinks at the Bali Hai.

He actually begged me every freakin' day to go back to Islands, and I don't mean the coffee shop at the Hanalei.

This proves nothing. But I'll tell ya, with the Royal Hawaiian now gone, the food really sucks at most Tiki Palaces.

On 2008-04-03 17:08, Cammo wrote:
This proves nothing.

But yes: Canadians like Hamburgers more than Tiki ! :wink:

Up here in the Cap City area (Sacramento) we got buttkiss for tiki...so needless to say...we are a little desperate and can't hold a candle to Alameda, LA, San Diego, Florida...or even across the pond. The Islands is the only tropical paradise (imitation & garish as it may be) that has good food and drinks. Better than Olive Garden or a burger at home. I give it a two-thumbs up. :)

edit: forgot my manners....Welcome to TC Tikirose. :tiki:

FATIMA BLUSH: Oh, how reckless of me. I made you all wet.
JAMES BOND: Yes, but my martini is still dry.

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2008-04-03 18:49 ]

On 2008-04-03 18:35, bigbrotiki wrote:

On 2008-04-03 17:08, Cammo wrote:
This proves nothing.

But yes: Canadians like Hamburgers more than Tiki ! :wink:

If only there was a Hamburger Central... :wink:

T

On 2008-04-03 13:33, bigbrotiki wrote:
Though that is true, and O.A. is THE source for America's classic Tiki temples, much of their stuff used there is garishly painted. "The Islands" vibe is just what their name promises: so-called generic "Island life style", not true Tiki. The chain's color palette, with its Miami tones and Fiesta feeling is commercial, so I don't blame them, but hard core Tikiphiles feel that it is exactly that wishy washy non-committal Surfing/Tommy Bahama/Jimmy Buffet look that waters down real Tiki culture, which is primarily Polynesian, not "Wherever" Beach, be it Mexico, Bahamas, Florida, OR Hawaii.

(.) (.)
I hate those 'Miami Tones' ..especially Gloria Estefan and her Miami Sound Machine!!!

Member of hardcore Tikiphiles fan club !!!

BM

WHAT? I thought the Royal Hawaiian (Laguna right?) was coming back as the Royal Hawaiian..I know there is a thread on this but ..isn't it BACK?

Plus Islands is OK...as opposed to MANY less tiki establishments..but it is CORPORATE tiki fer shur

MMMmmmmmmm! Red meat!

Pages: 1 17 replies