Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Why Only 12 Brave Tiki Swap Participants?

Pages: 1 15 replies

Scott and I are new to TC. And we love it. And we totally loved the Tiki Swap concept.

How many tiki swaps have been done on TC?

There are 7774 registered members, but only 12 participants in the tiki swap!

Why? And don't say you're too busy (you can't even imagine our workload, not to mention we are landscaping our property ourselves and it is 3 lots!).

The swap was totally fun and from the standpoint of being newbies, it was a great way to feel like we were part of the community.

If you're so into Tikis and like creating artwork depicting this lifestyle, why wouldn't you be into it?

Come on people! Anti-up for the next swap!

Jen (Polly Neezsa)
and
Scott (Skinny Dog)

ST

I believe that this is only the second swap done on TC. I think we had something like maybe two dozen people the first time.

As far as the numbers go, I am sure there are a large number of "members" on TC who rarely even visit the website. You also have to realize that many of the members are not artists. If you poke around in the other forums you'll see largely different groups of people. And then there are people who like to make things that don't feel they are talented enough to do a swap with someone who is highly skilled. I did the first swap but only went through with it because I was really pretty happy with what I made. Luckily for me there was no theme so I was able to work within my limited skill set to make it. For a specific theme like Maori I had nothing to add. Don't know enough about their art (and I'm not gonna buy a hundred dollar art book so I can swap) and from what little I do know it didn't fit in with something I could craft well enough.

So there ya' go, my take on why only 12 people.

I completely understand that all 7774 members aren't active, or even artistic. But certainly more than 12 are!

So many happily post their projects they are working on, so why not do a swap piece!

And in regards to feeling whether something is worthy, that isn't really what it's about. That's the beauty of it! Everyone no matter what your skill level should feel comfortable participating.

OOPS, I fell of my soapbox!

Jen

I was totally worried about weather or not my piece would be good enough to swap. even though Ive been doing this for 20 yrs, I get occasional bursts of self confidence, and that's when I have to go for it. Count me in for the next swap no matter what the theme. Its a great way to build a collection of art from our peers. Dawn

B

Ouch, I hope you didn't hurt yourself Jen, Falling off that big box like that! :lol:" :lol: :lol:
Excellent Pep Talk though and I confer with you a Lot but not a hundred%. SurfinTiki was pretty close too except that he doesn't know how people think about his work. I would Love one of his pieces as I would love most All our artists work. I'm totally happy with my draw but would have been super happy with anyones work, Speaking of which, would you like to trade something for one of those Maori pieces?
A Lot of those "Registered" members never post and only registered to say something or what-ever but a lot never came back but there ARE Many Artists here ACTIVELY posting and creating and while there are Many different levels of expertise there are no "Tiki Cops" here or not many anyhow. I have no idea why there were only 12 participants this time but I think we can work it more and get more people involved.
I believe there will be more if we all push for that and help everyone understand that their works Are good enough or that their works are Not "TOO Good" to be entered.
Of course I have been known to be Full of Hot Air too! :lol: :lol:

P
Paipo posted on Fri, Apr 4, 2008 1:10 PM

Well that was the third one so far - the first had 18 participants (if they all came through, I think the draw on that one was made before the finished work was posted). The next one had about 15 completed entries (again, I don't know for sure if everyone got their work done). So I guess it is a worry if we have only 12 this time.....but, I have to say, I think this was easily the best one yet. I'm kicking myself for not getting my shit together in time, especially seeing I participated in the last 2. The quality of the work was incredible, so does it really matter we have 12 or 20 or 6? As long as you make something and there is someone else to make for you!

Anyway, there is plenty of scope for wheeling and dealing outside of the swap threads - I have had two trade pieces from TC artists over the last month or so, and have possibly another 3 in the pipeline....

I'm ok Ben, I fall off my soapbox so often I know how to roll. Thanks for asking. Sure we'll trade with you!

Paipo, I guess the quantity really does not matter, but I think the more people who get involved the more fun it would be. Camaraderie don't ya know?

I thought of it like an online tiki exhibit with a said theme. And I am one who is totally shy and hates to put my work out (I feel like I am walking around in public in my underwear), so for me once we committed to doing the swap if forced me to actually do it and post it.

Anyway, I can't wait till the next one!

Jen

I've wanted to get in on the swaps, but I didn't think I could make something small enough to afford paying shipping on!

I will try hard to join in the next one, when is it??? :D

...actually......i hate tikis.....i also despise tiki artists....

H
hewey posted on Fri, Apr 4, 2008 4:04 PM

First of all, let me just say I think it's great that new folk to our community are so into it! :D :D :D

I think part of it is that a lot of artists dont work in a small size, so overseas shipping isnt a viable option. Add in a few who dont dig the style, and a few who wont have the time at that particular period, and you end up with a smaller pool of artists.

Personally I did a piece and then didn't enter it. Im in no way a perfectionist, but this was a last minute and rushed piece, and I wasnt happy with it. I didn't feel it was fair for me to enter a half-assed effort, just so I could get something from another swapper who has put a lot of effort into it. Now if I had done the same piece, and it was completed to the best of my ability, I would have entered it. But doing a slap up job just to get a piece in felt like cheating. Particularly given that I was pushing the swap, I didnt feel comfortable doing that. Its not about how 'good' the art is, its about how much effort I put in. The reason I didnt have time was because I just moved house, and half of it is still in boxes! And as much as I love tiki art, getting the kitchen gear unpacked so I can eat takes priority! :lol: :lol:

In terms of the swap, I suppose it has a couple of aims:

• Challenge artists to attempt a topic/theme out of their comfort zone, something they have never created before. This in turn develops them further as artists.
  • Be a catalyst for new art to be created. These 12 pieces exist only because of the swap. Im greedy and I love seeing the art folks on here make. If I can encourage people to make more, I think it's a great thing.
  • A lot of people are interested in trading art with other TCers, but are often too scared to ask. Ive swapped art with a number of members via PMs, and Im stoked with what Ive received. But this allows all artists to have a go, even if they're too scared to ask normally.
  • You get some awesome art in return, and generally the financial cost involved is minimal. For a tight ass like me, thats awesome! :D :lol:
  • Collecting original art from TCers is SO much better than getting Shag print a 1000 other people have, or a mass-produced mug!

In terms of these aims, I reckon it was a great succes! :D But yes, I would love to see even more people involved next time! :D

C

I think the swap is a great idea and it looks like a great deal of fun,
always great to get some new stuff to add to the collection.
As for me, I did a piece that I planned to use for the swap, but I wasn't
happy with the finished result and it still isn't finished. Count me
in for the next one!

I think I would like to do the next one too, but my carving speed is very slow so I would need a good notice to start early!!!

Tipsy is funny. Hewey=righteous!
I was always pretty much just carving for myself.

S

I also love this concept and would like to play next round.
My 2 cents: more time, open style carve, paint or stone whatever.
Hewey did a great job! keeping it alive and completing this one.

T

I am way too slow yet. I knew I would never get one done in time. Perhaps the next one... :)

B

Well Poly, I Hope that now yu will start a thread of your own and show us EVERY piece you create as we certainly did enjoy your story with this one. You are Tops in your field and should share your arts with us. I know I Want to see more and will get with you on some kind of trade or purchase.

Tipsy IS that way folks, Really, Honest! Of course he has lots of tiki stuff that he hates too. You joining the next swap Tip?

It looks like there may be More involvement in the next swap too, Yeayyy!
Count me in. If anyone needs any help let me know?

Pages: 1 15 replies