Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Swanky Monkey's Tiki #2 - HearNoExcuses Tiki

Pages: 1 21 replies

Here is my first ever Tiki carving, "Stogey Tiki". The pics show the work in progress, 100% hand carved - no power tools.

This will have a place of honor in the new Tiki Pub I am creating in my backyard, which will also be posted here as it progresses.

Got's me da FEVER! Dat TIKI FEVER!

Here is the original hunk of olive wood from my tree (note the lump that will be the nose!)

Here it is after a few hours - trying to work around some knots. One became the stogey, another becomes the eye, but two by the mouth were posing a problem...

Decided to give him dental issues. One rotten, one missing tooth...

Finished piece with stained lips and brows, some torching for color...

Visit the Swanky Monkey Tiki Pub in progress at:
http://swankymonkey.blogspot.com

[ Edited by: SwankyMonkey 2008-05-04 15:04 ]

[ Edited by: SwankyMonkey 2008-05-19 08:29 ]

The Tiki Pub is undergoing it's transformation! This week I hope to begin the large opening that will replace the tiny window.
Anyone know where I can score a nice piece of hardwood for the bar counter top?

Nice tiki, it has a lot of character and i like the way you worked with what the log gave you awesome work and very creative.

S

Gnarly Dude!!

Thanks for the kind words, King-bilt and SunGod.
MaiTais all around!

B

Definitely lots of cool stuff goin' on in that tiki, Keep carving and posting!

Thanks Benzart!
(bows humbly before the master)

Your work, VanTiki, and many others here have inspired me and lit the inner tiki torch.

Thank you all for that.

I

That is an awesome interpretation!! Very original and cool!

I.

Thanks Ivan!

Here is next piece in line...

And after a shave and a "haircut"...

Tomorrow I start roughing out the face.
FUN! FUN! FUN!

Tonight's progress...

Starting to block out the features - cool tiki torch lighting cuz I was being eaten by bugs! Ah, the magic of Citronella!

T

On 2008-04-10 07:53, SwankyMonkey wrote:
The Tiki Pub is undergoing it's transformation! This week I hope to begin the large opening that will replace the tiny window.
Anyone know where I can score a nice piece of hardwood for the bar counter top?

(.)(.)
Does that door ever open?

Really like the way you used the knot on the lower jaw and tooth. Carries the knot color down the chin. Outstanding!

S

Nice work he looks like a Viking Pagan tiki god.
Love how you use whats in front of you.

Thanks Lizard and Seek!

I haven't yet scored any nice palm logs to carve, so I am forced to use what's on hand - mainly Olive and Pine.

Both types of wood don't seem to care much what my original design was intended to be - they just put mystery knots hidden beneath the bark anywhere they please!

B

This guy is Cool looking with a bit of the Devil thrown in too. Love the Teeth too!

Thanks Benz! He is a little evil...

Here is today's progress. This being only my second tiki carving, these were foreboding waters - but I think it came out okay. It ain't no Benzart Lono, but it's a start!

I started by drawing the braid on the computer (blasphemy!) and printing it out on adhesive backed paper...

Then, I scored the wood through the sticker and peeled it away...

Here is the scary part where I was sure I would hork the whole thing up...

But, at the end of the day, it all worked out. Musta been the Mojito.

Visit the Swanky Monkey Tiki Pub in progress at:
http://swankymonkey.blogspot.com

[ Edited by: SwankyMonkey 2008-05-03 21:15 ]

Tiki #2 - "HearNoExcuses Tiki" is finished. I have decided now, after my first tiki "Stogey Tiki" was made from Olive wood, and this was carved from a Pine log... SOMEONE FIND ME SOME PALM WOOD! Let's just say these types are "knot" the best.

Anyhoo - here he is...

awsome carvings! i really like that first guy, the expression made me laugh

S

Wow way to make the pice of wood work for you.
the braid is cool. Another cool looking Scandinavian looking pice.

Hey, thanks Duddy! Thanks Seek!

Sweet surfmobile Seek (on webpage)- where were those pics taken?

S

We are in Westport, Wa the main surf spot in WA State.
If your ever up north drop me a email. You would have
to come play at the Tiki Bog. I'm there allot in the summer time.

Yo, Seek - The Tiki Bog rocks! I just found the Waffle Head post and the pics of the bog, and when I escape to the way north someday, I'm there!

By the way, after seeing Waffle, I'm a little embarrassed you had to endure my painful attempts at carving. He's frickin' AWESOME!

Pages: 1 21 replies