Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Frankl Pretzel rattan chairs too low

Pages: 1 8 replies

Hi,
Does anyone have any ideas on how I can raise the height of these chairs, and still retain the original value? Pictured is an armless chair, have two of those, one right arm, one left arm, and one two arm club chair, as well as various ottomans & tables. The table heights are fine. The chairs though, are 8 inches high of rattan, then add the original spring cushions, which are 6 1/2 inches, and you have a 14 1/2 inch height. Seeing as how these are in my living room, and the standard height is about 17-18 inches, I'd like to know if I can make them more comfortable for all sizes & ages to sit in. Can rattan be bent and applied to the existing base? Could I get lucite / acrylic bases made for these? Just any ideas at all would be appreciated. I've looked all over the web & don't find this topic anywhere, so please help if you can. I'm in Texas, but would be willing to ship these off somewhere if there is someone who could help me. I never want to part with these, so would be willing to invest in them. If this is not the best place for this topic, would you advise me where to post, please?
Thanks,
bananatree

T

I have a full set.
I don't get it. The height seams ok.
It's kind of like raising the height of a low rider car.
Takes out the cool.

MN

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2009-05-20 13:33 ]

M
Murph posted on Wed, Apr 9, 2008 4:42 PM

Got any old yellow pages?
They used to set me on one of those when I was a kid and it brought me right up to height.

BK

I've got a great idea. Pack them up & send them to me. I live on a hill! That ought to be high enough!

Add another seat cushion.

build some MDF risers, or platforms.....cover them in woven grass matting...trim corners in bamboo...set furniture on top, have a mai tai and get over it.....

....or call that crabby bamboo ben and have him make you some professional bases......

"operation chaos is in effect!! RUSH the vote 2008!!"

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-04-10 08:40 ]

A
ADB posted on Sun, May 4, 2008 4:50 PM

Rattan can be had from places like hh perkins, franks cane and rush supply etc
It bends easy with steam, and even bends easy when simply soaked.
I left a 7.5 ft piece out on my lawn and it rained for 5 or 6 days in a row, the ratan was amazingly pliable and it was a 2 inch thick piece.
Thinner would be easier
Those are some fairly tight corners but it could be done depending on how handy you are, you would need to construct a jig to bend it around and hold it untill dry.

On 2008-04-10 08:40, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

....or call that crabby bamboo ben and have him make you some professional bases......

"operation chaos is in effect!! RUSH the vote 2008!!"

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-04-10 08:40 ]

LOL!!!

Bamboo Ben Custom Tropical Decor!
I build stuff for you!
Google search me and see!

xoxoxo...Tipsy!

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2008-05-04 22:25 ]

Pages: 1 8 replies