Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Carving video from Maori Arts & Crafts Institute

Pages: 1 13 replies

H

Just over 5 minutes of students bustin' out some amazing panels and such here

Thanks Howland. It's a real joy to me to see that the craft has not been lost from the Maori.

Incredible...I bow my head in shame! I'd adore going through that school- but I'll bet you have to be of Maori descent and able to prove it with documents. And I can't say I'd blame them for those rules the way they put 90 percent of us western carvers to shame. It'd be like the last alternate pick for a AAA team putting in for the Boston Red Sox. Cool video, big B. Mahalos!

Cool Video. Hell i'd like to just go watch for a day. I spent a few hours at the Polynesian cultural center watching the Maori carvers there. and that was worth the price of admission for me.

good lord thats amazing stuff.

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Apr 10, 2008 2:31 AM

I've met a lot of carvers, but I've always wondered what woodcarving was like. I have watched roughing out with mallet and chisel, but it looks like the detailing is mostly hand/palm work using leverage? Very quiet and contemplative stuff.
It's pretty amazing to think that those guys are just students, and most of em pretty young at that. The standard of carving in this country is (and always has been) incredible. Maybe I need to start drinking V again!

H
harro posted on Thu, Apr 10, 2008 2:36 PM

thut's a choice vud bro....
the cuz's got talent, eh... 8)

Aloha Howland! What a very cool video clip! I was thoughly ingrossed in the clip and all the unreal carvings, Mahalo for finding the clip!amazing art, Aloha, Mooney

Great post. It brought back some really nice memories. I spent a day at the Institute and Whakarewarewa a couple of years ago.

H
harro posted on Thu, Apr 10, 2008 5:16 PM

cool pics Kate - especially the mana in the last pic, where even the vice is a tiki :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ^^^^^

I didn't realise it was the workshop was open to the public. I could stand there for hours!

And were those maori panels for sale? or just finished pieces stacked at one end of the workshop?

I grilled those carvers for ages about everything from their thoughts on tapu to women carvers. The younger guy was working on a piece as a part of his coursework. He was also making a similar piece using non-traditional methods to sell. An American couple was purchasing one of the items in the last picture while I was there.

Good stuff.

Reminded me I had some pictures in my files...

B

I'm with BK in that these vids and pic's are Very Humbling! An arm and leg given Gladly to go through that training! And the amazing thing is that this is happening Now and the Maori People are Awakening! Much Respect for a people that just will not go Down.

H

On 2008-04-10 02:31, Paipo wrote: I've always wondered what woodcarving was like. I have watched roughing out with mallet and chisel, but it looks like the detailing is mostly hand/palm work using leverage? Very quiet and contemplative stuff.

I think you're the man for the job. We'd all like to see some Paipo wood stuffs! Big ones, too!

Tiki-Kate, thanx for those cool pix--what an awesome vacation that was! Good on you for grilling the carvers, it'd be fun to know everything you guys talked about-fill us in maybe????

Dig those old-school-super cool pix from the vaults of time you posted Dave...and they're still kicking it out like that--that's what's cool, you gotta love some peeps who keep it real and goin' on for generations with no perversions of the style.

Pages: 1 13 replies