Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Cover for the new Tiki Magazine #10

Pages: 1 2 54 replies

N

Here's the new cover image for Tiki Magazine #10 (Spring 08, Vol. 4, No.1). The incomparable Bamboo Ben depicted by Ernie Keen (Grog have skills). The first opportunity to get the new issue will be this Saturday, April 19th at Tiki Farm's annual Parking Lot sale. Subscriptions will be sent out April 21st. San Diego stores will have them April 21-24th. LA and OC stores will have them the 26-27th. Hopefully everywhere else by May 3rd. We will also have some very cool mai tai glasses for sale at the Tiki Farm event designed by Doug Horne. Doug rocks!! See you at the Farm, Tiki Invasion, Tiki Caliente, Hukilau, and Tiki Oasis.

Nicktiki https://tikicentral.com/uploads/2022/48027908.jpg

K
Kahu posted on Sun, Apr 13, 2008 2:39 PM

Ok that rocks! How do I get mine autographed ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRHG!?!?

P

Grog, amazing work.
Can't wait for the mag.

T

Cool Benjamin Rockwell. Not too far off from the "other" prototype cover. Ben is still sitting down on the job. Congrats Ben! I've been looking for the newest cover of Tiki Magazine for the last couple weeks already in the mail. Just miss it.

Bamboo Ben meets Norman Rockwell. I Love It!!!

Great job!!!!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

S

Very cool. Is that the same brad nailer that built Hale Tiki goign strong?

H

Grog, you did a great job with this cover, real nice. Hiltiki like.

Groger!
Thank God you got the Bud can in there. :)

Great cover.

Just my luck!

Gonna be working in Lake Powell next week and then back up
to Nor Cal the next week. Hopefully to be back for Tiki Invasion. Will miss the debut at Tiki Farm.

Arrrrrr!!!!

Ernie Rocks!

GROG ROCK!

Nice work Grog,congrats Ben,it's about time!

It's No man Grogwell! Great pick of a concept, Ernie. Don't know about the SUBJECT, though... :D

F

Wow, Grog really does have skills. I can't wait to see the magazine in my grubby little fingers to see the pic up close and personal.

WOOOHOO Grog!! Congratulations on making the cover of Tiki Magazine :)

On 2008-04-13 14:48, Jeff Central wrote:
Bamboo Ben meets Norman Rockwell.

Bamboo Norm?

Ben Rockwell?

Bamboo Rock?

I predict another Tiki Magazine Issue sell-out (like C'Al's!)

Cool! Eli is double proud right now up at the big Cove in the sky! I heard it was a dooz, Grog, great job, braddah.

G
GROG posted on Mon, Apr 14, 2008 9:33 AM

Thanks everybody. I really enjoyed doing the cover for Tiki Magazine.

And thanks Nick, for the opportunity to illustrate the cover.

Maybe next time I'll get a better subject to illustrate.
(Just kidding---love ya Ben. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!)

That is simply too cool. Best cover yet in my opinion. Right on Grog! Right on Ben!

Great cover Groggy! There's a lot that you did here that shows the skills of TC's favorite caveman!

Now onto business...

R

Wow Grog that cover is so RAD! I love it!!!

Why don't you post art in other Crafts?!

Ah well, this is totally awesome, I am definitely gonna grab an issue :D

On 2008-04-14 13:28, MakeDaMug wrote:
Great cover Groggy! There's a lot that you did here that shows the skills of TC's favorite caveman!

Now onto business...

Now onto more business....

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=28059&forum=17&0

Arrrrr!!!

Great cover GROG! I always was a sucker for Norman's stuff. Really looking forward to this issue.
Cheers.

T

Hey grog, The picture of Ben looks like a photograph but still done in a painted style. Is that something that you were able to do in Photoshop? What are the phtots taped to the canvas of?

Great Cover Ernie!
slow and steady wins the Race!

Excellent. So why don't you have more stuff on display here?

A

The cover is awesome! Excellent work! Can't wait to get my copy...

M

GROG DRAW GOOD. GROG HAS TALENT

FAN-%@#&%$-TASTIC Cover. Beautiful illustration Grog!
Can't Wait to get my subscription. I'll try not to spill Mai-Tai on it, or get my greasy 'chicken' fingers on it!
Really great work GROG! Ben, you know what we all think about you!
Perfection all around!

G
GROG posted on Wed, Apr 16, 2008 10:30 PM

On 2008-04-15 08:57, teaKEY wrote:
Hey grog, The picture of Ben looks like a photograph but still done in a painted style. Is that something that you were able to do in Photoshop? What are the phtots taped to the canvas of?

It's all Photoshopped Teakey. The picture on the canvas was from this photo, and I used some filters and drew on it in Photoshop to make it look a bit more hand-drawn.

The photos at the right are Ben's "Inspirations and influences". His wife Vicki, his dad, his mom, a map of Hawaii, and his kids.

Thanks everybody who has responded on here with such favorable remarks. If you're going to Tiki farm's parking lot sale, Nick will be debuting the mag there, so if you get one and run into me, I'll be happy to sign it for you. Bamboo Ben is on-the-road doing some builds, so you'll have to get him to sign it at another time.

K
Kahu posted on Thu, Apr 17, 2008 5:08 AM

Photoshoped or not, it still takes skills to put it together and make it all look good, I am sure I said it before, but heck it is worth saying again, Good Job Grog!

That's awesome.

Why anyone would want to immortalize Ben is beyond me though.

T

On 2008-04-16 22:30, GROG wrote:

On 2008-04-15 08:57, teaKEY wrote:

It's all Photoshopped Teakey. The picture on the canvas was from this photo, and I used some filters and drew on it in Photoshop to make it look a bit more hand-drawn.

The photos at the right are Ben's "Inspirations and influences". His wife Vicki, his dad, his mom, a map of Hawaii, and his kids.

Thanks everybody who has responded on here with such favorable remarks. If you're going to Tiki farm's parking lot sale, Nick will be debuting the mag there, so if you get one and run into me, I'll be happy to sign it for you. Bamboo Ben is on-the-road doing some builds, so you'll have to get him to sign it at another time.

Wow.....GREAT Cover....what a great concept. It's amazing to see Ben's parents are just as tiki as he is....cool !

T

Nice work Ernie! Looks awesome!

S

truly fantastic! nuff said!

Grog do excellent work. Tiki-Tonga like Grog's cave paintings also.

O

Good job Grog. You should do a commercial for Adobe.

" Photoshop, so easy, a caveman could do it"

G
GROG posted on Tue, May 6, 2008 6:10 PM

Thank you everybody who has complemented GROG' cover illustration for Tiki Magazine.

Plastic surgery ala Photoshop---It took 4 photos to make 1 good Bamboo Ben.
First pic shows the pose GROG start with, and then GROG have to add different arms and a different head.

And this was the photo of Eli that GROG use in the mirror.

Ben and Vicki were a great help in getting me some of the photo reference GROG needed and gave GROG nice input.

GROG really appreciate Nick asking GROG to do the cover illustration.

[ Edited by: GROG 2008-05-06 18:27 ]

M

Still waiting for Honolulu Borders to rack it. :-?

Got it! That is some stunning bamboo work!

Great to see included, a fine expose of The Smokin' Menehunes, with Kevin Bullat on steel guitar.

[ Edited by: msteeln 2008-05-08 12:55 ]

RB

It is an amazing cover...I keeping looking at it, and finding new things to appreciate. Grog do good!

N

I also wanted to give big props to Grog. I can't tell you how many people love his new cover. I don't know if its a combo of Grog's great cover, interesting subject matter, the talented writers, photographers, or artists that contributed to this issue but, this issue is about to be our fastest sold out issue! Its been out less than a month and we have less than 200 copies available (we printed 12,000). Hope to see everyone at Tiki Caliente this weekend.

Nicktiki

RB

Nicktiki, that's great news! Hopefully that means you're making money and will keep publishing for a loooong time.

On 2008-05-08 06:39, nicktiki wrote:
I also wanted to give big props to Grog. I can't tell you how many people love his new cover. I don't know if its a combo of Grog's great cover, interesting subject matter, the talented writers, photographers, or artists that contributed to this issue but, this issue is about to be our fastest sold out issue! Its been out less than a month and we have less than 200 copies available (we printed 12,000). Hope to see everyone at Tiki Caliente this weekend.

Nicktiki

Aye Carumba!!

Grog Rocks!!!!!

..and Tiki Mag Too!!!

p.s.

What was the tiki bar at the Sheraton in Palm Springs called
back in the day...

This is a pic from there.

N

Ben,

Too bad you weren't at Tiki Caliente. A lot of people mentioned that they wanted you to sign their copy of the new issue. They'll have to catch when things slow down.

Nicktiki

H
harro posted on Mon, May 12, 2008 8:51 AM

Nicktiki

Is there an outlet in London, UK to pick up this issue and the last few? Since I've been travelling I've lost touch but used to pick up each issue when I was in Aust. I think the last one I got was the shag cover.

N

Check Cheekytiki or Hot Rod Tiki in the U.K.

Nicktiki

Well, you see, Nick, with both Ben and me in the same issue you have absolutely, positively devastating sex appeal and skill level that's just hard for most people to resist. I mean, I would totally buy it... :)

Pages: 1 2 54 replies