Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Mahalo for Coming to TikiBocce(tm) III - *Buy an Event Poster 4 Charity!*

Pages: 1 2 51 replies

And so, it begins....

TikiBocce III
Saturday, May 24th, 2008 11am
Lund Manor's back 40 in Oakland, CA

With the musical stylings of The MaiKai Gents!

(The new and IMPROVED!) Hinky Drinks will be open, and pouring, at 11am.

Open Qualifying for TikiBocce Top Bocce Honors Tournament from 11am - 3pm, first 8 teams advance to the tournament, which begins at 3:30ish.

Potluck-style, bring something to share (veg preferred, but not mandatory). We'll have grills ready-steady-go!

[ Edited by: Haole'akamai 2008-05-26 09:29 ]

M

And so, it begins...

"My salad days, When I was green in judgment, I rolled in cold blood..."

No quarter!
midnite

MT

Team Quicksand will be there to kick ass, choke in the finals, and come in second place. Again. Will history repeat itself? I'm wearing my pith helmet already, how 'bout you, Ray?

On 2008-04-14 23:50, Mai Tai wrote:
Team Quicksand will be there to kick ass, choke in the finals, and come in second place.

Ah, tradition....

WOOT! Have fun athletes!

Chief Bartender and I are in this year! Loved hearing all about it a few hours after it ended last year while sipping drinks at FI. Bummed we couldn't make it due to family obligations so we are bound and determined to come this year. Thanks so much for hosting!

T

On 2008-04-15 16:04, Brenda's Tiki Hut wrote:
Chief Bartender and I are in this year! Loved hearing all about it a few hours after it ended last year while sipping drinks at FI. Bummed we couldn't make it due to family obligations so we are bound and determined to come this year. Thanks so much for hosting!

Fantastic! Looking forward to seeing you guys on the court.

sounds great!
I'll be there~

K

Can I get an address and when will the MaiKai Gents be performing?

S

What are the chances that my magic slippers will arrive and that I'll be able to be there? One never knows....

Suzanne

We're putting up the evite in the next few days. PM me your email address and we'll put you on the evite. :)

Well, I don't know how to play bocce and I eat animals, but stopping by for some boozing might be a good idea.

T

On 2008-04-30 09:49, TIKI KAIMUKI wrote:
Well, I don't know how to play bocce ...

It has been repeatedly proven that knowing how to play bocce is actually a setback.

We run a few grills, so bring don't worry about bringing a meaty thing to cook.

Drinks. That we got.

MA

And they were great drinks/boozing. Which lead to even greater bocce playing by myself, who owed all my bocce expertise/success to the boozing....oh and my ace partner from Napa. I can't wait for the boozing to begin...er...I...mean the bocce. Oh who am I kidding? Bring on the boozing!!!!!

Fantastic!

T

If anyone would like to be added to our evite, PM your email address to Haole'Akamai or myself.

Anyone local who wants to try to sneak in some practice let us know and we'll make sure you are on the list to be notified. I'll be working on the court this weekend!

J

On 2008-05-01 13:11, TofuJoe wrote:
Anyone local who wants to try to sneak in some practice let us know and we'll make sure you are on the list to be notified. I'll be working on the court this weekend!

Oooh, practice would be good! I'm 3000 miles away this weekend, but I'll be back mid-week. Lemme know when I can get some lessons from the resident pros!

S

Jen, you'd better post heaps of Mai Kai pictures and tell us all about your first time there!

:)

Suzanne

Evite is up! If you'd like to be on the list, please pm me your email address.

Mahalo!

Da da da DA!!

The poster is (finally) here!!

We'll have prints available by TikiBocce III for sale (price is still to be determined), with all proceeds to benefit The LindyHop 4 Life 24 Hour Cancer Dance-a-thon!!

Also available will be vegetable starts as well as other plants (Black Magic taro, papyrus, etc.) for your summer planting pleasure!

• Click here to find out the latest about *TikiBocce(tm) III! ** It's on May 24th!!

[ Edited by: Haole'akamai 2008-05-12 16:19 ]

J

Imagine my surprise to find that Bocce is a prominent plot point in the latest episode of Tiki Bar TV! TikiBocce is taking the world by storm!

Ha! And when we put the Bocce court in the closest connection to Polynesia and Tiki we could get is the photo of a bocce court in the Dominican Republic!

In Honor of the episode, Lund Manor will be serving The Italian Lover at TikiBocce III!!!!

J

On 2008-05-16 15:36, Haole'akamai wrote:
In Honor of the episode, Lund Manor will be serving The Italian Lover at TikiBocce III!!!!

Shweet! I thought that recipe looked interesting and can't wait to taste it!

We got the posters back from the printer, Greener Printer, and they look fabulous!

They are 14" long x 11" high and are printed on "95 # Reincarnation Cover", which is 100% recycled, 50% post-consumer waste, processed chlorine-free paper.

All proceeds from selling these posters will go to the charity fund-raiser TofuJoe and I participate in, Lindy Hop 4 Life. We're asking $10 each for the poster, and then we will have 25 limited editions, which will be numbered and signed, for $25 each. It's a great poster, it's a great cause. Please consider purchasing one (or two!).

See ya on the court!

J

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but I don't recall seeing the name of the poster artist, and I can't read the signature on the posted pic. Can you tell us who this talented person is?
Mahalo!

Oops! Yes, of course! It's Jason Rodgers, most known for his original embroidered designs for Fez-O-Rama, a stand-up guy, all around!

That poster is FANTASTIC!!! :o

Anything with monkeys drinkin' rum and I'm all for it! :lol:

I'll send my last minute reply from Mrs.Mojo and I.....it's just been a crazy month and now I have an injury to my left hand....but that's not my bocce ball throwing hand....but it is my drinking hand!

LT

Can the posters be ordered and shipped?

On 2008-05-22 17:22, LOL Tiki wrote:

You bet! Let me find out how much a shipping tube will be and then it'll be just postage. :)

J

The appropriately sized mailing tubes are $2.19 at the post office. I just happened to have bought a couple recently and had one handy by my computer. :)

LT

On 2008-05-22 19:33, Haole'akamai wrote:

On 2008-05-22 17:22, LOL Tiki wrote:

You bet! Let me find out how much a shipping tube will be and then it'll be just postage. :)

Kewl - Thanks!

#1 and #2 of the numbered, signed prints have been spoken for! Mahalo!

Tiki Bocce was great. Great food. Great music. Great drinks. Great company. Great location. Only thing that wasn't great was the drive to and fro. I wish we were closer.

Thanks for having us. Looking forward to 2009, winning more games, and less fanny kissing.

and the pix/winners are?

Wow, That was so much fun. Mahalo everyone for bringing such great food and spirit! I'll see if I can get TofuJoe to write up a synopsis. Eventhough Dr. TikiMojo didn't make it, I did see lots of cameras. Please post at will!

Mahalo, again.

A super sensational wonderful time, as always. Big mahalo to the folks of Lund Manor for a great day of hot bocce action (and whatnot). Looking forward to next year!

-Weird Unc

T

Thanks to one and all who came out and made Tiki Bocce III a crazy success.

People came from LA, Sacramento and even San Antonio Texas!

Lund Manor was ready for them. Hinky Drinks was well appointed with a load of booze, some new decorations, a whole new bartender work area and, ye gods, running water!

You can just see the witco board which we turned into a handy mug shelf, our favorite Chongolio painting and some zany lamps Haole'Akamai found while thrifting in Oakland.

We had gallons of punch mixed up and ran a few drink specials.

As things seem to go out at the Drink, an on the fly drink special spontaneously materialized. While stocking up at the Bev'Mo for the party, a bottle of Rhum Clement Creole Shrubb found its way home. Its an orange liquor made with curacao oranges and Martinique rum. Sound like anything familiar? We paired it up with Coruba Rum, lime juice, orgeat and simple syrup and served up a bunch of Shrubb MaiTai's. Didn't take long to run out of Shrubb, but it was good. Thanks to Kevin and Maria for holding down the bar duties!

The MaiKai Gents were excellent as always. Sometimes I think we throw this party just to be able to hear them play more. Mahalo to Judd and the gang.

Good Grief there was good food. TikiWineBear's coconut encrusted portabello mushrooms were amazing. Brenda's Tiki Hut and the Chief bartender brought home made sourdough, yummm. Jen Tiki's ginger dressed Hicama and Mango salad was superb. Apparently Humu brought a salad. I think it lasted about 12 seconds. All I saw was the empty dish. Thanks to everyone who went the extra mile to make such amazing tasty treats

But this party is really all about the Bocce. Tiki Bocce in fact. This year we managed to get the new Bocce Ball set ready in time for play!

At some point when the backyard was full of friends, music, great Bocce you realize that all of the work that goes into this thing is so worth it. Thanks to everyone for indulging my crazy need to merge Tiki and Bocce.

The tournament this year was fantastic. It may be remembered as the year we went from a tiki party where people play bocce, to a bocce tournament where people drink tiki drinks.

Congratulations to Alameda's own team Bali High who played well all day emerging with Top Bocce Honors!

For you sports nerds, you can check out the Tournament Recap and the Box Score

There are so many people to thank I wouldn't know where to start. To all of those who cleaned the house and kitchen as the party rolled on. You are my heroes.

Thanks to Haole'Akamai for the birthday cake!

And thanks to MaiTai, a dress code will be strictly enforced in the future.

And we'd sure appreciate it if you could post any pics you might have snapped.

J

Hey Tofu Joe, there was some "fanny kissing" involved in that 7th game (the one that says "lost scorecard"), so I think it's safe to say the score was 7-0! :P

T

WHAT ?

How did I miss this thread entirely? I'm 100% Sicilian from NY...My last name is frikken Bacchi fer chrissakes...we played this at family picnics all the time !

Wow, that sounds like fun. What a great idea !

Man, I have to pay attention more.

T

On 2008-05-26 21:20, JenTiki wrote:
Hey Tofu Joe, there was some "fanny kissing" involved in that 7th game (the one that says "lost scorecard"), so I think it's safe to say the score was 7-0! :P

Ah yes, I remember that now. :wink: Boxscore updated.

On 2008-05-26 21:28, tikiyaki wrote:
WHAT ?

How did I miss this thread entirely? I'm 100% Sicilian from NY...My last name is frikken Bacchi fer chrissakes...we played this at family picnics all the time !

Wow, that sounds like fun. What a great idea !

Man, I have to pay attention more.

Well, make sure you're on the list for next year. Us being Latvian and German-Scotch, we need more "family" on the court, if you know what I mean...

MA

A very big MAHALO to Haole'akamai and to Tofu Joe!!!! My wife and I had a great time. Thank you for being great hostess and host. The drinks were exceptional as always, mahalo to everyone for bringing such wonderful food, and the bocce tournament was thrilling. I can't wait for the Tikibocce IV. Dennis and I hope to restore the Cannibals to glory and win a huge trophy. Mahalo!!!

PS: Thanks again for the little trophy and I promise to behave at Tikibocce IV. ;>)

M

youse kids iz krazy!

So bummed we missed this. Sometimes life just happens though. I will save up all my bocce mana for the next one(if I am invited)!

On 2008-05-28 18:31, TIKI KAIMUKI wrote:
So bummed we missed this. Sometimes life just happens though. I will save up all my bocce mana for the next one(if I am invited)!

No need to save all the way to next year; we'll have other Bocce adventures in Polynesian paradise that is the Lund Manor Back 46 before then.

By the way, where are the pictures? I know people were taking them? JenTiki, you out dehr?

J

The only pics on my camera are the two you took of me "rolling" the court. Frankly, I hated them both, so nobody is gonna get to see those. I think the photographers were mostly your cultie buddies. Get them to send you some.

(A little late) But a BIG mahalo to the Lunds for another wonderful event!! My bocceball skills really sucked this year... I guess not enough Mai Tais and too many pupus and Diet 7up. Great turnout. Good to see everyone there, however briefly I got chance to talk with everyone. And great sounds by the Mai Kai Gents too!

We finally had chance to grill up our variation of Sabu's Spicy Coconut Chicken Skewers (use TC's search for recipe). We used portabello mushrooms instead of chicken (veggie dishes were requested), and cut the 'shrooms into BIG bite sized pieces (note: during the marinating process, the pieces really shrink, so cut them LARGE). Also, didn't use skewers... simply used a "grill sheet" and placed the marinated 'shroom bits onto the sheet, then rolled them in (already prepared) roasted coconut while they were still hot.

We also made chicken bites, but used a chipotle seasoning instead of curry powder. They turned out pretty good! (Sorry, gotta have my meat too.)

Mahalo to Thayer and Scott!! and Happy Birthday to you again, Scott!

Myke

M

The mourning period for Team Quicksand has passed so I can now speak of that day, albeit with some difficulty. Perhaps I am best suited for officiating, who knows? Gave it the old college try, twice, but it was not to be. Alas, one looks to the future, TikiBocce4...a new beginning?

As much of my time was spent taking bribes in exchange for favored calls, err..objective officiating of others' matches, my snappies are few. The fair Michelle had control of the snappy machine, but most of her shots are of yours truly flailing about in a confused state of bocce defeat. Still, I captured a few good ones and put together one of my limited edition collages for everyone to enjoy:

This year's Tikibocce, notwithstanding the premature exit of Quicksand, was a resounding success. The food was superb as were the Hinky Drinks. Every time I go to Lund manor I get to experience a new Mai Tai variation. This year's version was extra super good. Special kudos to the two Hinky Drinks mixologists, well done!

Great to see the MK Gents again. Fun times are always at hand with those guys around providing a soundtrack to the festivities. The only thing I would improve would be the weather...I think. Congrats to Team Bali High for their amazing display of tenacity and bocce brilliance. Phil and Jeff, while at times just on the brink of defeat, managed to pull out victory after victory and end up bocce champs. Theirs was a well-deserved championship, exhibiting the best qualities of good sportsmanship and cutthroat bocce strategy.

Of course, a great big hug and thank you to the proprietors of Lund Manor. Thayer and Scott put on one heck of a good time. Shame it is only an annual event as I am ready for Tikibocce3.5!

Wait 'til next year!
cpt. "player to be named later" midnite

Pages: 1 2 51 replies