Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Info wanted about this piece of modern furniture I bought

Pages: 1 4 replies

I've been wanting to expand into creating a mid century modern look in the home, and so I picked up this piece at a thrift store today, my first such purchase. It looks retro to me, but I haven't been able to find much else like it online, except for a coffee table in the same blonde finish. The piece seems to be a laminate or veneer with a pronounced grain. The legs screw into sockets. (Thankfully easily removeable for getting it into my car!) Oh, and it has sliding glass doors.

Does anyone know much about it? I'd love to know more about the era of the piece and about modern furniture in general for those who would like to discuss it.
Thanks.

"I've been wanting to expand into creating a mid century modern look in the home"what part of the country are you in?

It's a nice cabinet, although I wouldn't guess that it's anything noteworthy.

However, just because you found something at a thrift store doesn't mean that it's not a designer piece. I once bought a pair of Knoll lounge chairs for $80 at my local thrift store.

David, I'm in Oregon. In fact, that's where I bought this. In a thrift shop looking for (what else) Tiki stuff. I have been going with a wicker and bamboo look in this room, (a bedroom) and storing my collection on shelves. But I have been looking at some picture books like Tiki Modern and others, and liking how the primitive mixes with 50s and 60s modern in vintage pictures of the period.

I thought that this may be a sort of poor man's Danish Modern type piece? That suits me, since do have a thrift store budget and actually enjoy the process of making finds. Anyway, I'm still finding out what constitutes Danish Modern and Eames etc. I am finding a few good websites for info and pictures of rooms groups from that era to inspire me. Do you think my piece is '50s?

Stu thanks for the input. I figured this must have been rather cheap mass produced stuff since it's laminated or veneer or whatever. I have seen a headboard around here in the same finish that is unfortunately really beat up. Would be sweet though.
Congrats on your find. Those sorts of finds make all the time spent sorting through junk worthwhile!

[ Edited by: ManFromT.I.K.I. 2008-07-09 15:25 ]

your piece is most defintely a 50's-60's piece. and a nice one ,use it.

Pages: 1 4 replies