Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

"Grog Log" 10th anniversary

Pages: 1 17 replies

RB

http://blog.beachbumberry.com/2008/04/21/happy-anniversary-to-us/

And maybe an updated version in the works? (See end of post)

[ Edited by: Rum Balls 2008-04-22 06:55 ]

Yeah! That would be great. He should make a deluxe version that has a digital media component.

With girls!

A

An update of Grog Log would be great. As much as I respect Berry's books, I get the feeling from looking at some of the recipes in that first book that they may not be as well researched as those of his subsequent books. And as he admits, he didn't have the benefit of easy internet searching as he does now.

K

I don't know - part of the charm of Grog Log and Intoxica! is their crudeness - they look like they are from the physical cut-and-paste era of page layout work. If Grog Log is updated, I hope Jeff retains the goofy look and that user-friendly spiral binding - Sippin' Safari is a far better book, but hard to use at the kitchen sink while measuring and mixing 12 separate ingredients.

The other sad thing is that this probably means no new Jeff Berry books - just revisions and addendums to the existing foursome. Maybe that rich vein of great tiki drinks is pretty much played out.

Oh well - if Grog Log is updated, I'm with '151 - more girls! Mystery Girls!

H

The current spiral bound version is going to become a sought after collector's item. Buy 'em up while you still can!

S

The original version is still available and probably will be a long time. He is still working on new projects I am sure. Don't think the drink and food books are finished. I'm sure a revised Grog Log will retain the things we like about it.

The newest recipes rely more and more on special mixes. That's good and bad.

Grog Log is like the number 8 seller on Amazon in its category, and the books that are ahead of it are not in its league. That's fantastic! At 10 years old, it is really going strong!

If he's taking input on the revision, I'd say, rejigger some of the lime juice quantities.

The man prints recipes books faster than I can mix them... Imagine the state of things without his books. I think it's going to be a helluva legacy. That book may change bartending in the US. The tropical cocktail is now the standard of excellence.

Way to go Bum!

Technically, it should be the 13th anniversary of the Grog Log if you count the Kinkoesque beta version from 1995. I like the cover better even though it more highlights Bosko tikis than drinks and has a few recipes that didn’t make the cut of the other book. One of the earlier tiki ventures available via The Tiki News.

and it's still kicking ass.

I cherish this Bosko mug, it's the one on the top left of the Grog Log cover:

On 2008-04-25 07:13, bigbrotiki wrote:
I cherish this Bosko mug, it's the one on the top left of the Grog Log cover:

I sheepishly admit that those covers were my main motivation for getting these Bosko mugs too! They look so much better in a scene.

Thank you! My 15 years experience of lighting film sets at least amounted to something! :)

On 2008-04-23 08:15, naugatiki wrote:
Technically, it should be the 13th anniversary of the Grog Log if you count the Kinkoesque beta version from 1995. I like the cover better even though it more highlights Bosko tikis than drinks and has a few recipes that didn’t make the cut of the other book. One of the earlier tiki ventures available via The Tiki News.

and it's still kicking ass.

I agree! I just cruised through the 1995 Grog Log after going through all my drink books.
You just never hear much about it. I think it's great.

Aloha everyone,

Actually there was an even earlier incarnation of the 95 Grog Log it was a loose bound zerox thing that Jeff (Beachbum) gave out to like minded Tiki people. Right after he gave me a copy I was so inspired I immediately signed on for the cover art shown above and the rest is history as they say.

Bosko

M

I celebrated the Grog Log's 10th last weekend by making 3 cocktails from it: Gone the Beachcomber (shown above), Planter's Punch, and the Tahitian. More photos and impressions of each drink can be found on my weblog. On the whole, the recipes in the G'Log are good, but definitely less balanced and sophisticated than those in the Bum's later books. Still, there are a couple of jewels worth digging out in there.

Okole Maluna!

Mr. BH

I still use the recipe for Kapu Kai from the Grog Log every week.

Rum
Sugar Syrup
Lime Juice

Classic!

It's not a weekend if my wife doesn't have her Kapu Kai on a Friday after work!

H

I still use different recipes from the Grog Log on a regular basis, and I am always finding new drinks that I like. I have all 4 books, but Grog Log is the one I use the most.

M

Here's the Painkiller from the Grog Log. Made with Pusser's 80-proof British Navy Rum, pineapple and lime juice, coconut cream, with a pinch of nutmeg and cinnamon sprinkled on top.

The Tiki Tick sez, "SPOON!"

TASTY!!!

Gone the Beachcomber..i`m going to make it tomorrow..i have run out of limes and lemons tonight, too many Mai Tais..

Cheers!

[ Edited by: Little fragrant Tiare 2008-05-02 19:03 ]

Pages: 1 17 replies