Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

12 More Bars With A

Pages: 1 11 replies

Just finished a new drink menu for our restaurant/bars. I've included a Mai Tai that I'm very excited about. Time will tell if our guests would rather have the syrupy, fruity, out-of-a-bottle version that many bars make, or this great cocktail!

the photo above is accurate except lime wheels were used and we'll be using a lime wedge. The recipe I've decided on is:

1 1/2 oz. Appleton Estate V/X Rum
2 oz. Myers's Dark Rum
1 oz. Orange Curacao
1/2 oz. Orgeat
3 oz. Fresh Lime Mix
Garnish with a pineapple chunk on a wooden skewer and float a big sprig of mint on top.

The lime mix we make fresh every day by squeezing fresh limes and mixing with simple syrup and water. I'd rather have a lime squeezed for each individual drink made, but I don't think my bartenders are ready for that. (Eventually, they will be.) I like the two rums together... it's what I usually use at my home bar. The pineapple chunk is not traditional, but it's quite tasty to eat with the drink, keeps the guest thinking "tropical" and helps this drink look different than our mojitos. (We sell a lot of mojitos.)

Anyway, this is my little bit towards spreading some INTOXICA!

[ Edited by: Bongo Bungalow 2008-04-26 09:44 ]

Dang. That's a pretty stout mai tai - nearly double the alcohol content of Vic's original recipe.

I agree about the Myers - V/X combo. Those two rums work wonders together, and are a more economical alternative to Appleton's Extra.

I have a hard time believing that the above picture contains 2 oz of Myers. It seems too light in color.

But whatever, that recipe sounds fine. Bottom's up!

On 2008-04-26 13:17, DJ HawaiianShirt wrote:
I have a hard time believing that the above picture contains 2 oz of Myers. It seems too light in color.

But whatever, that recipe sounds fine. Bottom's up!

lets make em right now and take photos before I'm drunk. I meant before they are drunk! They mai tais a mean.

A little more color maybe.. but..nice one!

Cheers! :drink:

[ Edited by: Little fragrant Tiare 2008-04-26 14:16 ]

On 2008-04-26 14:15, Little fragrant Tiare wrote:
A little more color maybe.. but..nice one!

Cheers! :drink:

[ Edited by: Little fragrant Tiare 2008-04-26 14:16 ]

Yes, yes, this photo does make the drink appear too light. This snapshot wasn't used in the menu. It is was taken as I worked out the garnish. The recipe above is the recipe all our bartenders are being trained to make. We have about 70 bartenders. Of them, 12 are receiving higher level training this summer. Those that complete the course I've put together will receive the title of World-Class Bartender. That select group will be the ones who will be free to create higher quality cocktails, etc.

K

What are the proportions of lime juice, simple syrup and water in your lime mix? Seems strange to add water to the lime juice and simple syrup, as that just dilutes them. Maybe it allows the mix to flow better?

G

Hey Bongo, there is hope in the world when someone like yourself who runs a chain of restaurants gets it. I haven't tried your fortified version of the Mai-Tai, but if you're steering the public to good rum and fresh lime juice, I applaud you!

On 2008-04-27 18:40, GatorRob wrote:
Hey Bongo, there is hope in the world when someone like yourself who runs a chain of restaurants gets it. I haven't tried your fortified version of the Mai-Tai, but if you're steering the public to good rum and fresh lime juice, I applaud you!

It really is! i want to try this Mai Tai, i just need to get myself a new Myers.

Drank my lunch today! Here's a pix of our Mai Tai made to the exact reipe:

Think what you want about the darkness of Myers's... this is how the drink comes out. Damn tasty too!

Thanks for posting this recipe. It is a fine drink, I'm sipping one as I type this. It has a very good balance and a nice finish:) I made mine with the rums called for with TV's Orgeat, Bols Curacao and for the lime mix I used 2oz fresh lime juice and 1oz 1:1 simple syrup.

Why thank you RH! I'm just back from one of our restaurants in south Bend where Breanna made me a nice one.

Pages: 1 11 replies