Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

my 1st & 2nd attempt at carving!!! Tiki Bar Finished...

Pages: 1 6 replies

So here goes, I live in the Uk and have been researching Tiki art and such since my 1st hawaiian Luau last June, I am having another Luau this June but I am taking it a bit more seriously this year...I am going to build a Tiki Bar and I have already carved my 1st Tiki Head!! (unfinished) Im not happy with the eyes...the log was a piece of oak from a tree that was felled in a storm last year...got quite a few left (logs that is)

Yes that is Santa in the background!!! from my Christmas scene...I made him out of paper mache and varnished him...he does look a bit scary!!! was thinking of throwing a hawaiian shirt on him for the Luau!!! lol

I have also made a couple of signs to hang around the place...

and this one...

What do you think guy's ??? (will post finished pic of Tiki head)

[ Edited by: Gooberfreek 2008-05-06 13:51 ]

[ Edited by: Gooberfreek 2008-05-06 14:11 ]

[ Edited by: Gooberfreek 2008-05-09 21:37 ]

[ Edited by: Gooberfreek 2009-01-05 00:46 ]

B

Goober, Excellent First tikik and the signs will work in Any TIki Bar. Cool stuff, keep carvinmg and keep posting. Also see if you can find some softer wood that oak is like stone. Try some Linden wood, you should find it in your area.

Thanx Benzart, just picked up a couple of logs this morning, got the next 8 days off work so Im gonna have another go at it, Im defo doin the eyes different this time, Im a total perfectionist! Im never happy with anything I create...there is always room for improvement...will post pix of next creation soon...

stay Tiki my friends...

Here is my 2nd attempt at carving a Tiki Head guy's...step by step...

Stage 1, start off with a 3ft piece of oak...

Stage 2, basic carvng to start off...

Stage 3, add abit ore detail...

Stage 4, didnt know what to do with large space above eyes so carved a few hibiscus flowers...

Stage 5, close up of hibiscus carving...

Stage 6, teeth and gums...

Stage 7, add a bit of colour...

Stage 8, add black to eyes to make them stand out!!!

Stage 9, at last 1st coat of clear varnish...

I am pleased with this one...I hope I can keep on improving, although the nice weather helped, gave me inspiration along with my new Israel Kamakawiwo'ole CD playing in the background...also managed to pick up some 3m length bamboo which have a diameter of 8cm for just £3.50p each which is cheap as chips!!! I could only find it for £45 a bundle of 6 elsewhere!!! so got myself 6 lengths for just over £20, so operation Tiki bar is now in full swing, going to Selco (like home depot) in the morning to pick up more supplies, will post my Tiki Bar construction pics soon...

S

Nice work Goob you are a natural. That is
only your second tiki you are on fire!

On 2008-05-06 16:17, seeksurf wrote:
Nice work Goob you are a natural. That is
only your second tiki you are on fire!

Thanx for the nice comments on my work... :D Im gonna try a couple more, palm logs are in very short supply over here so I am having to carve with whateveer I can find and at the moment it is just Oak!!! I also need to build my Tiki Bar, my Luau is in 5 weeks...times running out fast... :o

:tiki:

My attempt at making a mobile Tiki Bar...didnt have much room to work with so I used an old table I had that already had wheels on it so it could be moved around easily...the wheels also has brakes on them which is very handy...so here goes,

I put a new top on it and covered the underneath with some bamboo screening...I then added 4 6" wide bamboo poles to hold up the thatched roof...

So there you go, my very own Tiki Bar on wheels...its small I know but fully functioning...

It rained all night, we had umbrellas up everywhere but everybody still had a good laugh...Im the one behind the bar in the very loud pink Hawaiian shirt...the photo board I made for the occassion was very popular...

Took me a while but hey it can be re-used whenever we have another Luau...I think they are gonna become more regular....lol

Pages: 1 6 replies