Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Marquesan Mystery

Pages: 1 5 replies

B

Hi Tiki Friends,

Long time reader, first time poster. I have recently found a number of Marquesan Tiki's at local shops and am in need of general collecting information about these fellows.

The large one is about 20" tall and made of a single piece of solid teak. Beautifully carved and polished. The two dark guys are actually a softwood painted to look like rosewood. The small one is not great, but another recent find.

I know these guys are known for their reproductive prowess, but to find four in the past two months? Jeez.

Has anyone seen others like these, can anyone tell approximate date of production. I assume the painted ones were true souvenirs, but the large one is a really nice piece. Also, do people only get these on the remote pacific islands? I was in HI for the summer last year and never saw one of these shapes in stores. My pug is afraid of them and my wife thinks they're ugly. Can't blame either of them.

Any info would be appreciated.

B

I am not able to post pics from work, but have similar versions of those that I bought on Mo'orea Tahiti. Nice stuff!

Definitely souvenirs from either Tahiti, or even from one of the Marquesas Islands, where most of the talented carvers in Tahiti and its surrounding islands come from.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some people think to this day that Picasso's works are ugly, others pay millions for them. A Tiki of this type was one of Picasso's first inspirations, and he carried it with him all his life.

wow, thats an awsome story sven ....had no idea picasso carried a marq with him....

Say......you're not kidding me, right? Does that mean you are one of the BOT-less brethren? Cause that's where I first showed that Tiki.
-Sigh. I sometimes do not know anymore if I am being put on by someone who thinks I am repeating myself, or if their post is genuine. If I repeat myself, I do it mostly for the benefit of the newbies, as seen above, or sometimes to remind people of a certain point. Be it as it may, here is a post about Picasso's Tiki:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=27442&forum=2&vpost=363189

B

Thanks for the replies. Any thoughts on dates of production?

Cheers,
Brad

Pages: 1 5 replies