Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

fresh start . . . update - 8/25

Pages: 1 2 3 116 replies

P

well, i'm trying to make a fresh start with all kinds of things here, so i thought i'd make a fresh start carving thread. i have about 4 or 5 projects going, but i think this will be complete first. something i don't think i've ever seen before. some people may not recognize it but it will become apparent.

it's a lakatoi.

i'll do some more carving and some lashing and a couple of inlays and it should look pretty nice. beef bone and all.

[ Edited by: pdrake 2008-05-18 19:06 ]

[ Edited by: pdrake 2008-05-22 20:43 ]

[ Edited by: pdrake 2008-05-23 18:20 ]

[ Edited by: pdrake 2008-05-28 15:45 ]

[ Edited by: pdrake 2008-05-30 12:36 ]

[ Edited by: pdrake 2008-06-07 19:52 ]

[ Edited by: pdrake 2008-06-11 19:45 ]

[ Edited by: pdrake 2008-07-01 22:12 ]

[ Edited by: pdrake 2008-08-04 21:51 ]

[ Edited by: pdrake 2008-08-09 16:45 ]

[ Edited by: pdrake 2008-08-10 12:44 ]

[ Edited by: pdrake 2008-08-11 20:21 ]

[ Edited by: pdrake 2008-08-22 20:05 ]

[ Edited by: pdrake 2008-08-25 22:07 ]

P

people are funny.

man, it's hard to get a good photo of bone. especially at night. here's the sail with the first, fine sanding and the inlays.

P

well, the sail's coming right along. it's amazing how crappy photos make bone look. oh, well, too bad.

P

either my camera sucks or i don't know how to use it. (probably the latter.)

after final sand, stain and polish.

I like it fine PD!

B

Excellent lines Perry, I'm Really liking this piece!

On 2008-05-15 21:49, pdrake wrote:
either my camera sucks or i don't know how to use it. (probably the latter.)

Well one of you has to get it together! :lol: Whats the carved detail at the bottom? Can you get a clearer pic?

Nice idea, it seems to be one of those that would yeild many developments if 'followed'.. I saw a few examples of these types of sail in a Melbourne Museum recently. Beautiful things.

Keep the new thread kickin' Perry!

T :)

P

thanks, hank, ben and tama.

i really shouldn't take pictures of stuff so close. all i see now are the flaws. oh, well, onward and upward.

NOW its a sail - love that mast addition!

R
Robin posted on Fri, May 16, 2008 3:13 PM

That is a beautiful thing.

P

thanks, tama. it's a little split piece of bamboo.

anyone know where i can get coconut sennit? :D

thanks, robin.

here it is with the cord. the toggle will be done later. it will be a paddle.

P

here it is with the paddle and all. next move will be to market, hopefully.

P

I like it. I think the concept works well enough that you could just do the sail and the binding/rigging without all the other stuff and it'd still look great. Sweet job on that crescent inlay too.

B

Hey Man, I Like it even Better finished. Excellent piece.

P

thanks you guys. i think i'll do more of this style. it was fun and i have more ideas for them.

P

well, my hands started to hurt and i was sucking at intaglio and spirals, so i decided to hire a tiny crew of free masons. i think they did an okay job on their first day.

(actually, i tried a new technique. i think it works.)

On 2008-05-18 19:05, pdrake wrote:

(actually, i tried a new technique. i think it works.)

Certainly seems to, whatever it is..

Can you give us a hint at what you're using or have you started keeping your methods secret already..? :wink:

P

yes, my secret carving technique. i tell you, once i perfected my shrinking ray the freemasons came in quite handy.

i used a bit like this:

like a wise man once told me . . . no bit is perfect for any particular job. it depends on what works for the person at the time.

And this relates to what kind of tiki carving? I'm lost. Or you are drunk! We wait with baited breath.

P

ancient chinese proverb:

set yourself as the standard.

P

oh, and i really hope your breath isn't "baited" as that would mean you've been eating worms or anchovies. the proper term is "bated" as it means "reduced, lessened or lowered." which is surely something you should do in my presents. (sic for humor.)

On 2008-05-18 21:35, Tucson Tiki wrote:
And this relates to what kind of tiki carving?

PNG canoe-sail pendant and a whaletail scrolled-up with koru-motif: whats the problem?

Whaletails are perfectly valid to the Maoris carving them down here, ditto the surface decorations.
While the sails aren't Polynesian, Ive seen plenty of other carvers and painters on TC using Melanesian/Micronesian Art and Artifacts as inspiration for their designs, without harrassment. I dont understand why you'd post such a comment? Not very supportive or... anything

Tama :-?

H
Heath posted on Mon, May 19, 2008 2:37 AM

And this relates to what kind of tiki carving? I'm lost. Or you are drunk! We wait with baited breath.

Apparently you've not had the pleasure of spending a hot summer day with pdrake and then tried to have a conversation with him after, uh, I forget how many cocktails we had.

Perry, glad to see you back!!
Keep going with the great work!

P

thanks, tama and heath. i'm really struggling with channeling any negative energy into positive relusts. i guess it will get easier the more i do it.

P

little more progress . . .

back side:

front:

i don't know if i'm going to show work in progress photos anymore. not sure if it's helping anyone.

What the F.....?

Perry, Just keep doing what your doing. It's all good.

P

well, this tale is almost at an end. a little aging, a couple of holes and lashing of the cord and "the end".

I'm diggin' it!!! Looks great!

Thats awesome Perry! ka pai! Well done.

You certainly nail those inlays and thats no mean feat.

Tama :)

That's so awsome! i didnt realize how small it was.
DAMN that's crazy!

A

And He Who Wastes His Weekends wonders why I have not started my own thread!

Please Perry continue to do what you do and PLEASE continue to show us your progress shots. It really helps all of us out...even those of us that just let the wood chips fly.
Awesome stuff!!

P

thanks, tikifreak. i'm happy with it so far.

tama, as always you're an inspiration. i was getting discouraged after having to dig out the second inlay.

duddy, keep up the good work and don't limit yourself. thanks.

i'm glad you're learning antone. thanks for the kine words.

well, after the peaceful cetacean i've gone warrior. wonder what that says about me. well, at least i'm trying to channel positively.

On 2008-05-19 20:05, pdrake wrote:

tama, as always you're an inspiration. i was getting discouraged after having to dig out the second inlay*

Thanks PDrake, although Ill have to pass the credit along to those who inspire me..

*Aha, the behind-the-scenes frustrations the punters dont get to see. Good on you for setting your own standards high; again I fully understand the temptation to say 'bah, that'll do..", but no-one ever improved by resting on their laurels.

P

this will be perfect for the lego fijian warrior. stylish and functional. it's ebony. i can't believe how black this wood is.

P

finally can work again after 2 days of 40mph winds.

almost done with the gata charm, the little warrior who gets this will be the most stylin' lego in the box.

*saw indy today. great movie!

[ Edited by: pdrake 2008-05-22 20:44 ]

Hey, another beauty Perry, thats great. (I thought it was a full-sized one until you showed the comparison. got quite a surprise!)

Keep going, you're on fire!

P

thanks, tama. i'd like to do a full size one some day. i don't have enough ebony right now.

i'm done with it right now . . . until i can figure out how to put it on a necklace.

looks like a pretty cool plastic, skull splitter. the ebony is a beautiful wood. almost looks like resin when it's polished.

P

started a new project today. hope to finish it this weekend. weather has been suck here.

it's a canary wood patu. about 11" long.

R
Robin posted on Sun, May 25, 2008 6:37 PM

Very very nice intricate work. We seem to have a bit of a similar aesthetic...I love that sail form,(I made some in jade, different kind of sail though) the little war club is a beauty and the detail on the whale tail is awesome.

P

oh noooo!!! can't let my thread fall off into page 2!

thanks robin!

i'm still working on the patu, but i need to get a new set of small chisels. meanwhile, i've wanted to make one of these for awhile and this has been sitting around for a few months so i'm going to finish it off in the next day or so.

On 2008-05-18 21:58, pdrake wrote:
oh, and i really hope your breath isn't "baited" as that would mean you've been eating worms or anchovies. the proper term is "bated" as it means "reduced, lessened or lowered." which is surely something you should do in my presents. (sic for humor.)

Ah ha , a wordsmith eh :) I like it . 'Bated' , as in 'abated'... it makes sense now . I never did like the taste of anchovies , and those worms , they never stop wriggling :D

S

Looks like a great start and i love the subject.

On 2008-05-23 18:19, pdrake wrote:
started a new project today. hope to finish it this weekend. weather has been suck here.

it's a canary wood patu. about 11" long.

Pdrake ,
that style of patu is known as a Wahaika , (fish mouth).
As I understand it ,
the mouth in question may be either , the hook at the top of the curve , above the wee Tekoteko head , which can grapple with your opponents wrist or weapon .
Or , it may refer to the notch on the opposite edge , which due to it's angled slit appearance can resemble a fish mouth .
That notch can also hook a small weapon , but more so , it can , due to its plier effect , snap or dislocate a finger or wrist joint .
The point at the top of the curve is a slitting knife , for throat belly etc.
The blade is sharp enough to crack the skull open , just as you would with your boiled egg at breakfast :D
The bird beak at the end of the haft may as well be a sharp one , after all , the whole weapon is a weapon .
With that in mind , use a heavy hard wood . I did a basic one years ago , and it was too light , not a weapon at all , just a toy.

Good sketch there mate , I look forward to seeing the real thing :)

well thats my penny worth , ended up being more than I intended.
cheers ,
Jock

Ps .. I just notice that you posted that a week ago , its probably finished by now :lol:

[ Edited by: Toataiaha 2008-05-28 19:53 ]

P

thanks seeksurf. surprisingly this subject is turning out to be more difficult than i anticipated. lot's of odd angles and tight corners.

i'm trying to make both sides carved. not as much detail on the bottom.

thanks, toataiaha, i love the info. this wood is not too heavy so it will probably be a display piece. it's still far from done.

H

Looks great!
If you don't mind me asking, what are you carving the honu out of?

On 2008-05-28 22:15, pdrake wrote:
thanks, toataiaha, i love the info. this wood is not too heavy so it will probably be a display piece. it's still far from done.

No worries mate .
The thing is with edged Patu , they are Blades , not clubs .
Same with the Taiaha , it is a double ended , two handed , LongSword .

Jock

P

heath, it's beef bone.

P

On 2008-05-28 22:41, Toataiaha wrote:

On 2008-05-28 22:15, pdrake wrote:

No worries mate .
The thing is with edged Patu , they are Blades , not clubs .
Same with the Taiaha , it is a double ended , two handed , LongSword .

Jock  

and they were usually carved from whale bone, like a kotiate.

i also thought the style of club i was carving was a patu-paraoa, but i'm just a white guy in las vegas. :D i'm sure there are lot's of things i don't know and am always happy to learn from the source. kia ora mate! seriously.

Pages: 1 2 3 116 replies