Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

fresh start . . . update - 8/25

Pages: 1 2 3 116 replies

'Patu paraoa' is simply whale bone club . The design is , whatever it is .
In your case , it is a 'patu rakau waha-ika ' a 'wooden fish-mouth club '
A point here is that the term 'club' is a misnomer . Whoever came up with that one must have been looking at a blunt one .

This transcript from Te Papa Museum may interest you .
there is a short video too

""
Erana
And we’ve got a couple of hand held weaponry here, in particular the kotiate. Now those of you who may not have seen a kotiate before, as you can notice it is of a different shape, has a couple of niches in here. Dion how does the kotiate work?

Dion
For all the boys who are doing kapa haka, they are most probably familiar with the kotiate. It’s… the English terminology for it is what we term as a cleave. We don’t use the term club, ‘cause club basically means that you don’t need to aquire any sort of prowess when you’re fighting. But with the likes of the kotiate, the wahaika, the patu parâoa, the patu râkau, the mere pounamu, all those other types of patu, there’s skill that’s required and you need to master them. Basically, the functionality of this particular taonga, is that…say for instance if you have the taiaha which I had previously, if it was struck down towards you, basically you could offer a block (if you can just catch that in there). So I would catch the taiaha…and there is a groove, (I don’t know if you can see it, but there is a black sort of curtain behind me) but anyway it would be caught in this area here. And that’s why the young guys would work on their flexibility to strengthen their wrists so as they could actually snap…like so - you’re most probably familiar with this – and basically destroy your opponent’s weapon. ""

http://www.digitalconversations.org.nz/vc/weaponry/mov/4/?video-size=transcript

na Jock

keep up the good work my friend.work work work

P

thanks, marcus. hope you guys are doing great!

thanks for the post jock. that's a lot of great information. i really appreciate it.

P

here are a couple of pictures with daylight.

P

almost done.

H
harro posted on Fri, May 30, 2008 1:19 PM

sweet inlay work pdrake!!

me likey.

S

Nice, very cool looking, so white and the shell WOW!

P

thanks, harro and seeksurf.

i cut both pieces of paua from the same shell next to each other so they'd kind of match grain wise. it's all about learning and trying new things.

it's extra white and very shiny now that i've given it the final polish. i just have to finish the lashing and it will be ready to move to market. just about 15 minutes of work left. i say i have about 4-6 hours into this piece. if it ever sells i'll be making about minimum wage. oh, well, it's either this or dunk fries at a local fast food joint. (not that there's anything wrong with that.)

That is a really nice piece. Good work man!

Pdrake- awesome job! Did you already get the shell with the rough side already polished or did you sand it down yourself. I had issues when I tried to sand the rough side down with all the bumps and pockets, it was hard to tell the thickness (for me anyways) just wondered if you had any pointers because I'm about to do some shell work.

Thanks,
Craig

P

thanks matt and craig.

craig, i buy the shells already sanded off. they run about $15US. they aren't polished, just sanded down. i'm sorry, i don't remember where i bought them. i think it was from ebay.

J

Sweet inlay work!

H

I didn't realize how small this piece is until you posted the shots of you holding it, and then you had to do some inlay...
That's awesome!

On 2008-05-30 23:47, Heath wrote:
I didn't realize how small this piece is until you posted the shots of you holding it..

And I didnt realise it until Heath pointed it out.. Great work P, perfect shaping.

B

AND I didn't real;ize it was So Small either, All the more impressive. Those TINY Inlays are FUN and I know I would be spending hours on my hands and knees looking forthe darn things after dropping them every few minutes. Nice piece.

P

thanks, ben, yeah i had to chase them around a little. i finally got to the point i did my work over a box. that way when i dropped stuff i only had to fish in the box.

i really didn't think it was that small, i didn't think about it i just did it.

thanks tama and heath. it's funny how it worked out. i'll post a pic when i get home. when it sits on a flat surface it props itself up with the front legs. it actually looks like a real turtle.

the inlays were kind of rough, but each one i do i get better at. (i'll never say they're easy.)

P
pdrake posted on Tue, Jun 3, 2008 6:49 PM

wow, i'm all the way on page 2 now. *sniff

well, thought i'd start something a little tiki for the grumblers in our group.

this is mo's trip to the dentist pendant sketch. i think i'll do the teeth in a mammth ivory inlay.

P
pdrake posted on Sat, Jun 7, 2008 7:51 PM

while mo's at the dentist i have been chipping away on this. 2 5/8"

crappy photo, sorry.

P
pdrake posted on Mon, Jun 9, 2008 6:02 PM

all done.

i tried to make it look a little like ancient whale bone.

P
pdrake posted on Mon, Jun 9, 2008 6:39 PM

here's a couple of shots in the blazing vegas sun.

P

these are cast out of pewter. i'm saving up for my other casting equipment and will be doing silver stuff soon.

obviously they are pre-clean up.

hot, hot, hot

only one minor burn so far.

Hot, Hot, Hot! What a cool idea, pendants? Ive got a few of those 'chiklets' in resin here. Cant wait to see the silver ones, but pewter is probably more in my pricerange..? :wink:

Nice to see someone using metals too.

P

thanks, tama. the silver ones will be very faily priced.

here's one with a little polish and clean up.

i'm going to experiment with a few different finishes. some different patinas and such.

metal is an interesting medium to work with. the best thing is the screwups can go back in the crucible.

H
Heath posted on Wed, Jun 11, 2008 9:18 PM

Damn Perry, those are sweet!

S

Very cool i like the luster.

P

thanks, heath and seeksurf. they're fun and i'm having all kinds of ideas for new ones.

here's 3 done so far. it's amazing how much time metal takes to clean up. i used to think it came out of a mold sparkling and smooth.

not

the movies have lied to me.

Those are cool!!

B

Nice looking stuff Perry, Love the Old looking Bone and the Pewter is a great change. Good job.

Hows the casting going Perry?

P

it sure is hard to carve wax in las vegas during the summer.

(subtle update)

Sir Drake, I'm impressed. In the words of Gladys Knight and the Pips, "keep on keepin' on"

M
mieko posted on Thu, Jul 3, 2008 11:42 PM

Awww - I just saw the turtle! Really like him! You've got some amazing stuff going! I'm very interested in metal, as soon as I get some time.... :) (Just like stone, bone...)

P
pdrake posted on Mon, Aug 4, 2008 9:46 PM

thanks, meiko. i sold the turtle. the girl was so cute when she got it. her boyfriend bought it for her.

here's the latest finished piece of jade. (well, not quite finished. it needs a hole and a lanyard.)

it's new zealand jade. these large, smooth pieces are much harder than they look. the big, smooth space can show off the flaws so much easier.

Wow Perry - as always I love your stuff!

Keep it up brother!
KS

P

wow, thanks. that makes me feel good to hear someone loves my stuff. that's huge to me.

P

also working on this:

it's cocobola and that's without any finish on it. that wood is beeeyoootifulll.

P
pdrake posted on Tue, Aug 5, 2008 6:22 PM

starting on this tonight. i've had the design drawn out for almost a year.

TD

ohhh! the hook looks Great!
got a stylish kind of edge to it, really cool

On 2008-08-05 18:22, pdrake wrote:
starting on this tonight. i've had the design drawn out for almost a year.

I am REALLY looking forward to seeing how this works through. What is the stone?

KS

Love the hook! Love Cocbolo - the colors range from dark brown and orange to purple and yellow.

P
pdrake posted on Tue, Aug 5, 2008 7:06 PM

beep . . . beep . . . beep

time to make the donuts.

thanks, tikiduddy and kiwi, the stone is pounamu.

P
pdrake posted on Tue, Aug 5, 2008 9:08 PM

finished the patu except for the toggle. tried a new lashing kind of inspired by one tama did. his was two piece and i made mine one. kind of a pass through loop. eh, it's okay.

S

Keep them coming pdrake looking great!

J

Great stuff! That circular piece will be fantastic.

Mmmmmmmm, donut... That design is sizzling Pdrake, very saucy indeed.

Love that binding on the mere too! :wink:

Is the donut done?

Is the donut done?

Is the donut done?

(sorry - too many weeks with kids underfoot has sent me mad)

Looking forward to seeing your next shot

KS

P
pdrake posted on Sat, Aug 9, 2008 4:44 PM

thanks seeksurf, johnnyP.

tama, i should post a pic of the back of the lashing. thanks.

he's not done yet shaman. back on the bench to stare at me for awhile. i'm going to take my time with it.

here's a baby donut i'm working on in the meantime, it's BC jade.

can anyone guess where's it's going and the inspiration?

P
pdrake posted on Sat, Aug 9, 2008 5:38 PM

this is the back side.

Pages: 1 2 3 116 replies