Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Which ESQUIVEL CD should I buy?

Pages: 1 18 replies

just wondering what the best esquivel cd out there is?

tc

Based on the music I've been able to downloa..er, find, you can't go wrong with any of it. I'm new to the Exotica scene myself, but Esquivel is definitely my favorite.
Buy any of his CDs, you won't be disappointed!

Both "Space Age Bachelor Pad Music" and "Music from a Sparkling Planet" are compliations from various Esquivel recordings, so they have a lot of strong, great songs on them that reflect the space-ageness of Esquivel perhaps more than his original albums. I'd recommend either of those....

~Hanford

As a total Esquivel fiend, I definitely have to recommend 'Cabaret Manana.' It has a bunch of his later stuff, which is even more off the wall. It also repeats a few of the songs from the albums Hanford recommended, but the new stuff is well worth listening to a couple of ones you've heard before.

I picked up ESQUIVEL "Loungecore" by camden originals in HMV and its a good selection of ESQUIVELS work and it about £7 and they seem to have it in stock quite regularly, I suggest buying that then spend a fortune hunting down and buying the viynl.

TC

thanks gang for all the responses which i certainly use to weigh my options!

cheers,
tiki chris

D

Of all the Esqivel I've heard, I have to say, the Christmas album showcases him at his zoom-zoom-zoom-pow! quirkiest. Also it has a nice campy space age vocal introduction lisped by the spectacled Spaniard himself!

Actually, he was a Musical, Maniacal Mexican... :wink:

"Loungecore" is a brilliant buy (and readily available on amazon.co.uk, for a wonder) -- it's the only one I have and I'm no expert but an obsessive fan of my acquaintance gives it a big thumbs up even though "it's only a compilation" (snob). Best track of all time IMHO? "Nature Boy". And I mean of all time, any artist, any galaxy...

I guess I'm late on getting back to this one but we've just had a five day weekend bacause of the Queen's Golden Jubilee over here -- it's enough to make a monarchist outta me...

F

I went to Amazon and another website, cheap-cds.com. Cheap-cds has good prices and with many albums they feature mp3 snippets of each song, instead of just five or six. I really like that site. Anyway, I checked out the Esquivel selections and settled on a duplex: "Other Worlds, Other Sounds / Four Corners Of The World". To me, it was one of the more "sedate" of his albums; I wanted that because most his music is too friggin hyperactive in a way that I don't care for. He'll settle into a nice soft groove, then WHAM stick in all these unnecessary sound effects and stinging brass that ruins the mood! He does this over and over compulsively and it seems he was incapable of doing anything else. He was one fine pianna player, though.

[ Edited by: floratina on 2002-06-19 13:29 ]

See it in Sound, a 1999 CD release on House of Hits (BMG) of music from 1960. Fun with stereo and sound effects. The cut "Amazon Paddle Boat" is a stand out.

B

Bellybongo.com has MP3's of Esquivel's "1968 Esquivel!!" up for download this week.

http://www.bellybongo.com/links/sharity.html

Magnus, the guy that runs the site, puts a different exotica/odd LP up for download every 7 to 10 days.

K

the guy that runs the site, puts a different exotica/odd LP up for download every 7 to 10 days

I love that site! There's a few others I check on a regular basis. All offer free downloads of hard to find records. Here's some links:

Milwaukee John
Basic Hip Didital Oddio
Raymondo's Dance-O-Rama
Bellybongo LP Sharity
Sem Sinatra's Solar System of Sound
Dana's Downloadable Album of the Month
Your Pal Doug's Record of the Moment

If anyone knows of anymore free dowload sites please post a link!!

KK

I second Selector LoPaka-
See It In Sound.
(If I could only have ONE)

Go with Other Worlds Other Sounds. I believe this was his first LP recorded in 58-59? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. It is released on CD, but I think it's really best experienced on vinyl played through an old tube Hi Fi. I play all my exotica/lounge music that way. Just a personal preference.

I picked up an Esquivel CD today that is two LP's - 1968 ESQUIVEL!! and The Genius of Esquivel, both in "estereofonico". It's on the Latin Jazz International label (a personal favorite of mine).

Happy Birthday to Juan Garcia Esquivel!

great website on him
http://www.spaceagepop.com/esquivel.htm

the audio essential primer on the man
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000048DR/ll-20

but if you can get any of the individual albums - do it....

man - i am feeling the urge to do some major thrift store record shopping.

T

On 2005-01-20 18:41, Futura Girl wrote:
i am feeling the urge to do some major thrift store record shopping.

Thrift shopping for wax
The itch is without a cure
There is always more

In about, 2 years, I've got almost 1000 vinyl in my collection, 95% thrifted, all hand picked, very few scratches.

Pages: 1 18 replies