Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Tiki style in vintage cookbooks ( image heavy)

Pages: 1 12 replies

I have had a few old cookbooks kick'n around for a long time and thought I'd throw out a few pics.
The first is from the Betty Crocker New Outdorr Cookbook 1974. Enjoy.

Next is from a vintage Weber outdoor cookbook. 1972. Check out the S&P shakers.

From the Ford Times Cookbook put out by Ford Motor Company circa 67-74. With recipes from the Mai Kai among others.

Dobb's House Luau.

From Random House International Recipe Card collection. Circa 1977. Front and back. A cool beverage and a tasty snack.

I know there are tons more cookbooks with treasure to be had. Thanks for looking.

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2008-05-18 07:58 ]

One for pupus from Drinks of Hawaii 1972. Not much info but kinda cool. Not really a cookbook but food anyway.

I love vintage cookbooks.

Here are some photos from the Hawaii Kai cookbook.

T

I have a vintage Trader Vics Cookbook...I'll have to post pix of it soon....goof stuff.

Tiki Food is some of the most photogenic meal presentations ever.

Goodness Uncle Trav, that is one horrifying pork section. I like it better when they don't dress them up, keep them wrapped in banana leaves and present succulent meat already removed and ready to eat on my platter, that may or may not be decorated with a few hibiscus flowers. What was Weber thinking? And how old do you think that poor pig was to fit on a Weber? That's just wrong, very, very wrong. Ok, well part of me finds it kind of cool, but that's the savage part, the rest, well they don't call me sissy for nothing!

I do not care what the food is.......
....as long as it has a 1/4 tsp of monosodium glutamate for that "spicey flavor"!!!

I gotta find my cookbook with Michener writing the intro.

La Verandah is a tad concerned -- some of that exotic foliage all that lovely grub is resting on is poisonous. Oh well.

I was really excited when I saw this cookbook on ebay a few weeks ago. Then I realized that it was from the Mai Kai Trading Company and not The Mai Kai. But it still looked pretty interesting, so when I saw one pop up a couple of days ago at a really cheap Buy It Now price, I decided to get it. I'm kind of tempted to spend the rest of the year making every recipe in it.

There's not a ton of tiki imagery other than the cover and the little guy who appears on every page of the book.

Salted tapioca and anchovy paste? YUK!

L

On 2009-06-19 19:12, MadDogMike wrote:

Awww I LOVE Mr. Yuk!

i want to but one of these and there are 3 editions: 1946, 1981 and 1982. i figure the 1981 is a reprint of 1946, but the 1982 edition is edited. do you know the difference between the editions?

I ate at the Kapok Tree waaaayyy back in the day one time. wish it were still open...

S

someone needs to start scanning these out of print cookbooks and maybe the forum needs a library of pdf's of them that everyone can access ....

Pages: 1 12 replies