Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Hunting Etiquette

Pages: 1 42 replies

I had a situation arise at the swap meet which has me thinking whether the event was a case of rudeness, or if it was fair game.

I was going through a bin of matchbooks and I found a bunch of very good ones. I gathered up most of them and was running my hands through the bin to see if I missed any. Suddenly, out from my left blind spot, a hand shot into the bin and grabbed a matchbook. Although I had only a quick glance at the matchbook, it was clearly Tiki.

When I turned, I saw the person who got the matchbook is a well known member of Tiki Central. The person then immediately walked over to the seller and asked how much it was, etc. I was a bit stunned at what had just happened because it happened so fast. But after thinking it over a bit, I can only surmise the person knew I too was looking for Tiki since the buyer didn't bother to go through the bin any further, and I had the matchbooks I had already found in my hand. I doubt the TC member recognized me, but who knows.

So I am wondering if this was a case of a land grab by a TC member, or if it is fair game. The bin was about the size of a rectangular cake pan, so it wasn't like it was a huge box. I would completely expect that if I stepped away from the bin, anything in there would be for the taking. But I was still 'working' it to see what else I could find.

I wasn't all that mad about what had happened, since I had a pretty good haul anyway. And had I seen the matchbook (which I was about to do), I would have taken it and the TC member would clearly be out of luck. But I suppose it still bugs me a bit, and I'm wondering if I should PM the person about it.

Greedy snatching from a bin that you were currently looking through sounds like very rude behavior to me. It’s like the basic rule of courtesy while driving when you come to a stop sign, whoever gets there first has the right of way and the other driver(s) must wait their turn. I hope I never encounter this person while I'm out tiki hunting.

MrsHoptiki

K

It sounds a bit rude. The polite thing to do would have been to ask or wait until you were finished...ESPECIALLY if they saw you were taking the tiki matchbooks. If they were worried you'd scarf 'em all up, too bad...you got there first. Maybe you would have shared a few if they had at least asked or struck up a conversation about your mutual love of tiki. I personally have had things literally ripped from my clutches at some of the Tiki Bazaars at the Hukilau. People can be ruthless at times.

Yeah. I grew up at the flea market (East Coast swap meet). If you're going through a box or a can or a jar of stuff, the rule is: Everybody cools their heels until you're done with that box. (If there's a second box, (jar, etc.) then it's fair game.) Somebody grabbing out of your box would be called a "peckerhead" around here. I'm not sure what the West Coast term for that is.

I

I had a similar thing happened 20 years ago, with a naturalist/fossil collector friend. We had a small group, spending a rainy/misty weekend day slowly going through a section of beach, looking for small shark tooth fossils - good sized ones were hard to find. Then a friend/seasoned collector, who volunteered at the Smithsonian, came up to the path I was searching, looked at the ground slightly ahead of where I was, and swooped down and picked up a large specimen. I was a bit irate - after all, he already had a large collection of fossils, and I was a beginner on a first-time jaunt.

That was the last time I went fossil hunting, and whenever I think of this guy, it is not as a kind, mild-hearted person (which is how I had previously thought of him) but as a guy whose act did more to turn me off to the world of fossil-collecting.

There are different types of collectors. Some people's goals are to obtain the largest collection - doing whatever it takes to obtain the most rare specimens. Others look beyong the immediate self-gratification of possession, and hope to build a community of like-minded collector friends - helping each other out, admiring each others collections, perhaps giving part of your collection as a gift, and viewing a find by one as a find for all. Sadly, I think there are more of the first kind of person than the latter.

Vern

HOK

This just happened today at the Kamehameha swapmeet...A person was looking over a WWII Japanese rifle with Kanji letters carved in the stock, when a reseller just came on the scene and asked the seller how much he is was asking and gave the guy the money!! The first person was still holding the rifle, just asked the price a minute earlier and was inspecting the rifling in the bore. Mrs. Reseller was rude to shoulder hop this item, the seller should honor the guy still looking...Talk about viewer #1 giving "Da Stink Eye" to her. I was walking in the same direction as she was and said good deal. She replied,"this kine stuff, you gotta jus grab"....
she has a pawn shop locally.

Freddie

I've been swap-meeting for 20 years, automotive & otherwise, both as a buyer & a seller. Don't let it sour you on collecting or on other collectors. I've seen similar things many times but, I've also seen acts of kindness, respect & generosity. This guy is a first class jerk & should be forgotten & avoided. I wouldn't bother PMing him. He knows he's a jerk & doesn't care. I don't have time for people like this. It takes way too much energy to stew over such things. Let it go & put your energy into sharing your finds with other friendly collectors. You know we always like to see & hear about others finds. Let's see em!
Mahalo,
Rick

The guy is a butt-head. Call him names, make fun of him, do whatever it takes for you to get past the incident.

Then, when you have burned out all of that negative energy, post pics of what you did manage to score. It sounds like you got at least a couple of good matchbooks out of it.

There are a lot of record collectors around here and when the starting gate of the estate sale opens it’s first come first serve. Many times I’ll be the second one to the pile and be screaming “hurry up” in my brain behind the early bird but since the playing field is level I can deal with it. But on a few occasions I’ve had a sneaky hand snake around me to the stack I’m looking through and I either give them a subtle “excuse me” or a snobby “I beg your pardon” depending on my mood and that seems to do the trick.
So I’d chalk it up as a bad experience and just be happy it was a matchbook instead of severed head mug that someone screened you out of and grabbed.
And if the “well known member of Tiki Central” with the matchbook is reading this, we’re all on to you.

Yeah, if you think that's ruthless, don't start collecting records. I've encountered the biggest jackholes at record swapmeets and flea markets. My belief is that every collector should have some sort of decorum no matter how bad we want to dig in. I have narrowly missed fist fights due to people pushing their way in when it was out of line. I guess that's why I stay away from those places. I would rather spend more many than deal with the crappiness. Good luck in your hunt!

I have seen this at estate sales!! You can put the things you want in a box and if you walk six inches away just enough and turn back , the box is gone and paid for or the person holding your box thinks you are crazy and then the seller thinks the same..

If the item you have interest in, true interest, is not in your hand then you actually do NOT have true interest!!

Matches for example....the ones you want go in, on something you are holding. Maybe another bin, box, bag (shady),bowl, book, album, while are on your ass, matches in your crotch while you are slumped over with legs spread so people KNOW you mean business!! And growl and talk to yourself, crazy like. Curse a little. That helps keep people away. This is just an example for someone who is truly dedicated in swapmeet/estate sale shopping. :)

Or if you are adedicated fanatic just reach in someone elses pile without shame.

I worked all day today, 9 hours, I swear!!

Who got the Bali Hai salt and pepper shakers, daaamn you with fist in the air!!!

On 2008-05-18 16:20, tikipedia wrote:
I'm wondering if I should PM the person about it.

Yes. You should have done that first.

I hope it was me!
Buzzy Out!

H
Heath posted on Mon, May 19, 2008 2:30 AM

Whoever did that is a jackass!
Call them out here in public, that's what I would do.

K

Folks, I know people REALLY get angry about this sort of thing, but I really believe all Tikipedia wanted to do was get the communities opinion on what is etiquette and what is not. I'm not not speaking for Tikipedia or anyone else, but calling them names on a public forum isn't good etiquette either. I'm sure they know who they are because as Tikipedia stated they are a well known member of Tiki Central. If they read this they'll understand that most of us think it was rude and could have been handled much better.

At our local flea market, we have what I deem “flea market rats”. This is a group of tightly connected resellers that know what each other buy and are always on the lookout to scavenge whatever they can for each other, since most are resellers.

These guys are the ones who are pulling stuff out of the seller’s cars, trucks and boxes before said sellers can even start to set up. And they swarm. Like roaches, each trying to outdo the other. Aside from records, comic books and jewelry come immediately to mind for this particular behavior, although military and old toys items rank way up there as well. If they don’t shoulder hop you or yank something out of your hands, they will persistently try to purchase something from you after you have bought it. For most of the items I purchase, I literally have to be standing there when something is being put out to have first crack at it. Since the flea market rats are well known to the steady dealers, many items for sale are held back until the rats have a chance to look at the stuff first; often times buying the stuff for far less than the other guys would be willing to pay.

Fortunately here, most tiki stuff is largely ignored. It hasn’t been until the past year or so that dealers have really caught on to tiki and they don’t really have an idea of what is and isn’t, although most buy it hoping to make some large money on it. And sometimes they do score some pretty cool stuff.

No, it isn’t cool to reach over and grab something away from someone looking through a box or container. I would have no problem grabbing something away from someone who did that to me either. Of course, I would politely explain why I did it.

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and I would try to be polite)!

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2008-05-19 07:28 ]

T

I almost feel like this is a like ebay sniping. I hate having two seconds left on an auction and having some bot program bid for someone for $0.25 over my bid. Its just stinky, and feels unfair, but then again, can't do anything about it.

Lets just hope the match book they got was overpriced! :P

CSI: Long Beach

Scene 1: The ruthless tiki collector storms through the flea market, and spots the “holy grail” of matchbooks in a large bin. Just as Tikipedia is reaching for it, the Evil One elbows him out of the way, knocks down a few elderly nuns, and grabs the matchbook. Then she stomps on a few kittens and puppies just for fun.

Kidding aside now, I am the person who bought the matchbook. Tikipedia is right, it was rude of me to reach into the bin when he was still looking through it. I have been in that situation and I also get annoyed when someone else does it. I humbly submit to a public flogging on this board.

I offer him an apology, and will gladly give him the matchbook and buy him a drink if he will accept.

Where was the said "Holy Grail of Tiki Matchbooks" from? Can you post a pic?

PTD

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2008-05-20 08:14 ]

That's why all the good stuff was gone by the time I got there! Damn, I was there by 7:30 and all I came home with was two Otagiri surfer girl mugs from Harveys Lake Tahoe. Oh well, there's two of them coming up in June.

On 2008-05-20 08:13, Psycho Tiki D wrote:
Where was the said "Holy Grail of Tiki Matchbooks" from? Can you post a pic?

PTD

Sorry, no "holy grail", that part was supposed to be a joke. It was from the Kona Kai.

I humbly submit to a public flogging on this board.

Flog, flog, flog, flog. Take that!

On 2008-05-20 07:40, ookoo lady wrote:
CSI: Long Beach

Scene 1: The ruthless tiki collector storms through the flea market, and spots the “holy grail” of matchbooks in a large bin. Just as Tikipedia is reaching for it, the Evil One elbows him out of the way, knocks down a few elderly nuns, and grabs the matchbook. Then she stomps on a few kittens and puppies just for fun.

Kidding aside now, I am the person who bought the matchbook. Tikipedia is right, it was rude of me to reach into the bin when he was still looking through it. I have been in that situation and I also get annoyed when someone else does it. I humbly submit to a public flogging on this board.

I offer him an apology, and will gladly give him the matchbook and buy him a drink if he will accept.

This is a fucking classy post.
And Ookoo is a fucking classy person.

Even if she is a rude bitch!! :wink:

..sb

Nice Ookoo. It takes a stand up person to admit to something that (as we all know) can get made into a huge deal really quick.
Cheers to you and honesty.

Ookoo Lady? I thought she was just one of those tiki legends you only hear about. Legend says that this "ookoo lady" you speak of is the most hypnotically entrancing tiki collector out there, she catches other collectors off guard with her beauty, charm and charisma, disorienting "Joe tiki hunter" into a state of dimwitted complacency. She collects tiki from the unsuspecting happy go lucky tiki hunter, like yourself, with her nimble hands, devilish smile and her quenchless hunger for the tiki. You see my friend, losing your concentration and focus wasn't your fault, she has powers far too strong for mortal man. Anyone unlucky enough to cross her path during one of her tiki feeding frenzy's can only come to know the darkest horrors that await only the ill fated and doomed. Refusing her handshake and hospitality will only anger her beyond reason. Your only answer is to take the extended hand and cocktail that she offers and hope you bore her and she tires of you quickly tossing you aside. With any luck she'll forget she's ever met you. Otherwise, once you've crossed her path there's no safe place to hide. Good luck.

did you just refer to tikipedia as a dimwit??

G
GROG posted on Tue, May 20, 2008 12:29 PM

GROG willing to spank Ookoo lady if that will appease everybody.

On 2008-05-20 12:28, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
did you just refer to tikipedia as a dimwit??

Why is his name Joe?

Kudos to Ookoo Lady for stepping up, and kudos to Tiki Central for having a benevolently corrective influence on the Tiki Community. :)

G
GROG posted on Tue, May 20, 2008 12:55 PM

On 2008-05-20 12:50, DawnTiki wrote:
Why is his name Joe?

, ---here is the comma you forgot to put after "Why".

And GROG 2nd what Bigbro said.

[ Edited by: GROG 2008-05-20 12:56 ]

I'd like to know why his name is Joe as well.

D

On 2008-05-20 12:55, GROG wrote:

On 2008-05-20 12:50, DawnTiki wrote:
Why is his name Joe?

, ---here is the comma you forgot to put after "Why".

[ Edited by: GROG 2008-05-20 12:56 ]

Whew! Thanks Grog! That damn comma! I missed several in my first post too. I've under estimated the power of the comma. I promise to never make that mistake again.

[ Edited by: DawnTiki 2008-05-20 13:09 ]

comma chamelion...

It 's great that Ookoo Lady apologized and offered to make things right but lets not bury this thread under a bunch of crap to distract from the original topic.

It is nice though to see some Bali Hijinks folks who haven't posted for awhile!

it's nice to see folks from california posting! :D

M
Murph posted on Tue, May 20, 2008 4:16 PM

On 2008-05-20 13:23, Johnny Dollar wrote:
comma chamelion...

comma sutra...

OK, now that the kissing-and-making-up is done..... when do we get to see pics of this matchbook?

I am surrounded by Parrot-heads and have to live vicariously through the pictures of others.

No! you can't see the matchbook!! I haven't said how Cool I think Ookoo is, yet!!
SO Ookoo I think you Rock and if I were you I'd keep the matchbook, too!! Unless you want to give it to me. Hehehehehe

T

"At our local flea market, we have what I deem “flea market rats”. This is a group of tightly connected resellers that know what each other buy and are always on the lookout to scavenge whatever they can for each other, since most are resellers."

We got one of those that just moved into town.
Well, kind of, I like the guy and his wife.
But they now go to every flea market/antique show on
the first day.
With their big SUV AND trailer and FILL both up then
they take it to their shop and want to sell it back to
us at a profit.
They even split up to maximize their tiki plundering.

I know it's their right, its just they messed up the hunt.
For me it's not just getting the stuff it's the hunt as well.

H
Heath posted on Wed, May 21, 2008 6:13 PM

Wow, reread my post...
I was kind of a jack-ass myself, no more posting for me after spending the evening drinking Guinness and Jameson's.

Let's hear it for ookoo lady, stepping up and taking responsibility.
Restoring my faith in humanity one person at a time!

K

Let's hear it for ookoo lady, stepping up and taking responsibility.

I second. What's more, she did it in a polite way.

There was a lot of unnecessary name-calling on this thread. Tiki Central rules state:

Be polite. Please refrain from insults and name-calling. Be polite even if someone is insulting you or someone else "started it". If someone is really bothering you, then U-Mod or contact us, but be polite.

I keep forgetting about the U-Mod function but I will definitely be using it in the future, especially on threads like this. Tiki Central isn't about this kind of crap. It's a free exchange of ideas but there's a right way and a wrong way to go about it. I would encourage everyone to think long and hard before you post comments that could be considered rude or impolite, and leave out the name calling. When you read something that angers you, your first inclination would naturally be to fire off a reply calling the person in question an a-hole, a jack-ass or any number of colorful phrases. THINK before you click "SUBMIT." And THINK about how the other person feels being called these names, especially when they're a "well known member of Tiki Central" as was stated in the very first post.

Ookoo Lady,

I didn't intend for anybody to be pilloried for this, but thank you for fessing up and taking responsibility. It is very gracious of you to do so.

While I wasn't really mad as to what happened, I suppose I was a bit irritated at the time because it was done by somebody who has collected for a long time, and by somebody I presume would know better. However, I realize we all have our moments from time-to-time.

I suppose my objective of this post was to vent somewhat, but more to send a reminder to fellow collectors to be courteous while hunting. Although this field is increasingly competitive, I do think it is imperative to maintain the fellowship with the ohana.

So apology most certainly accepted. And I'm glad the matchbook found a good home. Hope to see you at the next venue (Oasis!).

On 2008-05-20 07:40, ookoo lady wrote:

I love junking, but shopping alongside all the professionals just isn't any fun. These days I avoid being at yard or rummage sales when they first open. The pros rampaging through a sale make me feel slimy by association.

I still manage to find more cool things than I have room for. Most of the time the pros are so focused on blitzing one sale after another they overlook neat stuff.

I've had people attempt to reach and push past me. Fortunately I'm good at blocking them. A couple of times at junk shops items have been taken from my cart. Now if I have something extra tasty I grab some random clothes off the rack and hide the good stuff.

A few years back I payed a couple of bucks to get into a rummage sale early. The pros were running through the place like marauders. In the furniture section I was looking at a floor lamp when I heard this guy yell "That's my lamp! That's my lamp!" I looked over and saw a small man about 20 feet away frantically gesturing in my direction. "That's my lamp! the little man yelled again. He then grabbed one of the volunteers and yelled "I told you I wanted that lamp! How much is it?" The volunteer seemed a little confused as to who the screaming little man was and what lamp he was talking about. I was doubtful the little yelling man had even been near the lamp. As the volunteer and little yelling man made their way towards me I discreetly used my thumbnail to scrape away the $5 price tag. The little yelling man had pulled out his wallet and again yelled "How much is it?" The volunteer looked for a price on the lamp. I pretended to look as well. "There was a price tag on it, " I said, "It must have fallen off." I looked around the floor. "How much was it?" the volunteer asked me. "Twenty dollars," I said. The little yelling man payed for the lamp and I wandered off pondering the ethical dilemma of lying in order to get an awful person to pay a church an extra $15.

Kudos to tikipedia for being classy about relating this subject and to Kenike for helping wrangle the thread back on point. I appreciate good manners and carefully thought out posts. It keeps Tiki Central fun and useful and not just another internet flaming free for all.

On 2008-05-23 23:28, woofmutt wrote:
I appreciate good manners and carefully thought out posts. It keeps Tiki Central fun and useful and not just another internet flaming free for all.

(Sorry Woof, couldn't resist. :) )

Pages: 1 42 replies