Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Wanted: Shrunken Head Picture Post!!!!

Pages: 1 14 replies

I am looking to carve some large shrunken heads(kind of a oxymoron I think) I searched and found nothing specifically designated to it. Please post pictures of your shrunken heads so I can get some good ideas for carvings. Thank you ahead of time.-- TT

P

You also may want to try posting in a more appropriate forum, in this case Creating Tiki.*****

Hold on a second all of you with fingers-o-fire, before you flame away at me there is of course a sound and logical reason for my suggestion.

Why this is a good idea for the person who starts a thread:

Many people regularly drop in on Tiki Central just to check the forums that most interest them. Not everyone reads every forum regularly. (Unless I have a lot of time on my hands I usually only check the main forum, Other Crafts, and Hot Tiki Singles)

Because of these selective visits a post such as this can quickly get lost in General Tiki.

With that in mind Creating would be ideal for this post as artists are notorious drunkards who can barely keep their attention fixed for five minutes on any subject other than themselves. (Wink.)

Why this is a good idea for everyone else:

Trying to get your post in an appropriate forum helps keep each forum focused and more useful. If someone wants to finally create their backyard paradise and they're searching for inspiration it'd be super swell for them if all the posts about building, materials, design, et cetera were in one forum. It also helps makers of mass produced cheapo resin Tiki clutter when they want to rip off artists original designs.

And finally: "I searched and found nothing specifically designated to it." You deserve an extra cherry in your Roy Rogers for using Search.

*****Yes, yes, oh gawd yes, I know that shrunken heads aren't technically Tiki. But if Tiki were a planet the size of Saturn I would guess shrunken heads would be one of its many moons. Or at least a somewhat spherical chunk of dirty ice in orbit around Planet Tiki. (A chunk of dirty ice? That reminds me of this bar I used to frequent...)

Here is a statue I did with Gecko on one side and Gecko as a shrunken head on the other side, good luck with your carving, Wendy

Speaking of "Creating Tiki", here is my fabulous shrunken head by Thor.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=26980&forum=18&50

On 2008-05-25 07:23, danlovestikis wrote:
Here is a statue I did with Gecko on one side and Gecko as a shrunken head on the other side...

Wendy you forgot to tell us which side was which? Sorry Gecko...couldn't resist it! If either of you don't mind me saying...that really is beautiful! Now, don't go getting any funny ideas Gecko! Great work as usual Wendy, sick with it my friend!!

Take care - Trader Jim (Make mine a Mai-Tai!).

The title of this forum is about subjects that are not being discussed in other forums. I searched and found nothing that met my criteria. So this seemed to work. Please continue posting shrunken head pictures please.Also can we please limit the topic of this post to just pictures. Thanks

On 2008-05-25 11:13, Tucson Tiki wrote:
...Also can we please limit the topic of this post to just pictures. Thanks

Ooops! Sorry!!

Trader Jim - Make mine a Humble Apology!

One look for one shrunken pic when you can find two!

My Island Headhunter sculpture...

Come on people. I know you have some cool shrunken heads in your collection. Let's see them please!!!!!!!!!!! I need some inspiration to carve!

[ Edited by: Tucson Tiki 2008-05-29 22:03 ]

K

Here are some pix from the vault of REAL Shrunken Heads in Museums.
I hope you find them helpful.

From the cover of the Taboo Album.

From the Hivaro Indians of South America.

Supposedly a white explorer.

Below are two "fakes" that I've made.

Kelly

Cool! The last ones are awesome. That's some inspiration for sure. Man those are good. Thanks. Keep them coming. Interesting to look at for sure. TT

how do you recomend putting in the hair? i recently sculpted one of clay, made a plaster mold, now i have a latex casting of a shrunken head. its hollow on the inside, just looking for the best way to go about doing the hair

[ Edited by: tikithomas08 2008-06-02 14:59 ]

Well I'm not sure about what your doing but I am planning on carving them out of wood and then hot glue it on. I figure some cheap witch wigs from the costume shop should work. If I could get some horse hair it would be great.

BTTT For the hip crowd!

Pages: 1 14 replies