Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

New Tiki place opening in Manhattan?

Pages: 1 6 replies

This is my first post -- please let me know if it's in the wrong place. I happened across a new place called Sensacion, billed as "a tropical bar and restaurant," at 953 Amsterdam (near 106th St.) yesterday. They hope to open in June. Not 100% sure if it will be tiki per se, but they were painting the ceiling and the door lintel in a Hawaiian theme. Anyone know anything about it?

[ Edited by: RikkiTikki 2008-05-25 15:09 ]

Your friendly NY ohana stand ready to explore any potential new establishments.

Just a guess, but from the name the place may be more Cuban/Latin than tiki, but we'll put our best people on the case...

I had a quick search but did not come up with anything - do you have a website or other info?

I'm not an alcoholic, I'm an enthusiast.

[ Edited by: leisure master 2008-05-25 18:25 ]

T

106 & Amsterdam.... more P.R. than Tiki!
Who goes above 96 st. anymore?

On 2008-05-29 05:15, TikiLaLe wrote:
106 & Amsterdam.... more P.R. than Tiki!
Who goes above 96 st. anymore?

Hell, I usually don't go above 14th...

Actually, "Central Park North" (ugh, I know) is a much different neighborhood than it was even only a few years ago...but I don't expect much tiki to be up there (yet?).

Haha...I'm a little better than Leisure Master, I never go above 23rd. But seriously, Manhattan gentrification is moving north. There is quite a lot to do on 96th and above nowadays.

umm paranoid did you use to live above 100th street?- COME on now!- ps Shag is comin to NYC in November (yes november!) you plannin on goin? -lets
I'll try to check on the "tiki" place north soon!

On 2008-05-31 07:30, sneakyjack wrote:
umm paranoid did you use to live above 100th street?- COME on now!- ps Shag is comin to NYC in November (yes november!) you plannin on goin? -lets
I'll try to check on the "tiki" place north soon!

haha, yep, you called me out on that one, Sneakyjack!

Heck yeah I'm there, I'm not going to miss out on a Shag show!

Pages: 1 6 replies