Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Ft lauderdale friday the 13th FREE BLOCK AFTERPARTY!

Pages: 1 46 replies

Friday night, June 13th 2008 we will be having a FREE after hours block party featuring authentic Polynesian performers and Legendary Mai Kai entertainers where you can meet personalities of Pop Tiki Royalty including the face of the Mai Kai for the past 30 years, the lovely Kainoa! Direct from Tahiti, the man responsible for bringing the initial group of entertainers to the famous Mai Kai, Toti will be present with two of his re-released CD recordings of Tahitian music available for purchase! Also in attendance, Mai Kai's very first Fireknife Dancer, Chief Faalia, who will be sharing vintage photos and stories of days of old at the Mai Kai. Former Dancer,current carver, fireknife dancer, and musician, Kabuki will be there showing and selling his artifacts and also performing! Steel guitar master, Ed Mayer to be delighting your ears with the heavenly sounds of his strings. and the beautiful Mapuana, also a former dancer and MC will share her aloha through song and dance.

So come out and enjoy the spirit of Aloha with us and meet, talk story, and experience a magical night with all these special guests and many more!!! being the first of 25 guests, you will receive a complimentary goodie bag! And you will be also entertained with live music, hula, and fireshow by Polynesian Proud Productions. Vendors and original art will be available to purchase and see on display at the Kreepytiki Lounge & tattoo! Outside you will be treated to a Hotrod/ kustom car & bike display by Russ G. Events and Orange County Choppers!

TIME: 10 PM - ??

2606 S. Federal Hwy
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl 33316
(954)463-3290

FREE PARKING AND ADMISSION!

DON'T MISS OUT!!

Hmmm......

Sounds Awesome!

Will try to be there fo' sure!!!!

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2008-06-02 20:46 ]

T

Wow,

A wee bit unethical don't you think ?

Tiki Kiliki busts her ass for an entire year planning Hukilau, spends money on advertising and entertainment, gets all the out of towners to fly in, and you throw and "afterparty" on the night of the main event, which is not actually AFTER at all...it's DURING the main event.

"Spirit of Aloha" ? Please....

That's really snakey man.

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2008-06-02 21:51 ]

thanks B. Ben..Tiki yaki we dont plan or itend to steal anything from christie or the hukilau, i have been friends with both since the begining . I wrote christie an email about this prior and the intention is not to take anything or be shady as what we will do starts later after hukilau events are over for the night. we have a relatively new store in fort lauderdale and i cant make it out to hukilau like every other year but still want to do something . Its free im not making any money of any of it I just want to let everyone know that once you are done for the night you can have something else to do . if you dont want to make it out its ok also .

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Jun 3, 2008 6:07 AM

I gotta say, wow. I have been wanting to meet all these Mai Kai OG folks for ages. Toti and Faalia, etc. I'll be sure to be there.

P
pablus posted on Tue, Jun 3, 2008 6:18 AM

When they say 10-???? they actually mean until about 5am.
Those guys don't stop until dawn and they always get a late start.

I think one year they got C'Al adjusted on absinthe.

Anyway - I doubt anyone is going to skip the main event to head to Federal until after.
So now there will be plenty of places to drift to afterwards - room parties - beach - tiki chopper shop.

I need to start catching up on my sleep today.

Jaksin,

I've sent 2 private messages to you. Can you please contact me asap?

Thanks

Will the fresh Coconuts be there??

( laced with Monster & rum ??)

Christie i just checked my pm's and i have no messages from you. Swanky, I felt the same way when i heard about them from Talani and it sucks to not have a little thing for them . I can try and push it as far into the night as possible to not intervene with any Hukilau activities (we do party late). hell if i can steal away some time I will be in hukilau myself along with my brothers Loonatiki and Beon the extended Kreepy Family Tiki Squad..as for anything else, like i posted earlier it is not an attempt to steal away anything from the Hukilau, it is a free party. And with the help and ideas of putting this together of everyone involved: Ploynesian proud , Tiki Squad, OCC, ect we have been able to do this. it totally sucks that this will be the Last Hukilau and we want to do something special for everyone who wants to be there afterwards. as for anybody who isnt into it its ok too. we are not trying to make enemies with this,we just wanna honor those who played an important part in this tiki thing. as for anyone else who wants to start an argument or "internet war" about this save it , I dont fight Via a computer, you want to say something to me do it the ol fashion way in person im not really hard to find. thanks again .

This sounds great. KreepyTiki is located directly next door to a bar, a couple custom bike shops, and a roller rink that host the roller derby. Should be an eclectic crowd including me. Perhaps some shuttles would be a good idea??

How far is it between the Hukilau location and this party? Easy taxi ride?

I assume its not walking distance (what is in FLA?), which may be a problem since I'm sure as hell not going to be fit to drive before or after!

I keep having shark nightmares.

Late night dips are freaking me out!!

So, this sounds like a great alternative!!!

See you's round midnight.

Gotta love the Energy that Hukilau brings!!

p.s. then back to the Cabana to rescue RugbyMatt around

4 a.m.........

T

On 2008-06-03 06:05, kreepytiki lounge & tattoos wrote:
thanks B. Ben..Tiki yaki we dont plan or itend to steal anything from christie or the hukilau, i have been friends with both since the begining . I wrote christie an email about this prior and the intention is not to take anything or be shady as what we will do starts later after hukilau events are over for the night. we have a relatively new store in fort lauderdale and i cant make it out to hukilau like every other year but still want to do something . Its free im not making any money of any of it I just want to let everyone know that once you are done for the night you can have something else to do . if you dont want to make it out its ok also .

KreepyTiki....Apologies for the "snakey" comment, that was a bit offsides. My initial reaction was "wow, this sounds really cool, I'd like to go to this", then I realized that the event was starting while I would still be onstage....DOH!...Hence the negative reaction....Anyway, hopefully people will stay until the end of the Main Ballroom show (The Intoxicators are rockin' out after us) before they head over to your party.

Dude, I love me some Kreepy Tiki-always have, and have always had a good time with you guys and would love to go- but the timing on that is just plain whacked, man. An all-day thing Sunday (like the Jetsetter party in previous years) would even be promotable v i a Hukilau. But two hours before the main event ends on Friday when there's still a long day of stuff going on Saturday... That's a rough one on everybody.

K
KuKu posted on Tue, Jun 3, 2008 10:37 AM

On 2008-06-03 08:51, leisure master wrote:
How far is it between the Hukilau location and this party? Easy taxi ride?

I assume its not walking distance (what is in FLA?), which may be a problem since I'm sure as hell not going to be fit to drive before or after!

I'm all for sharing/packing full a cab after the last Main Event band.
Being from the west coast, on vacation, my first Hukilau, time in Ft. Louder-dale and my 50th. birthday weekend, I think it would fun to mingle with the locals outside of the Event area and rage into the night till dawn and see the sun rise over the ocean...

S

Looks closer than the Mai Kai for sure. On the airport direction from the event hotels.

As always Room 130 will be open to our friends and FOM anytime. Perhaps it would be a good gathering point for those interested in the after-party. Just watch out for broken glass....

H

Google maps takes you 'round the arse to get to the elbow on the direx from the Cabana to the KreepyTiki. Looks like a short trip from Cabana if you go south on Sea Breeze then west on SE 17th st.

Its a very short ride. If you are coming in thru FTL airport you will pass it on the way to the YC. When you come over the overpass for 595 it will be one of the first buildings on the right. Can't miss it! Look for the choppers and Roller Rink. The front is painted with their logo and many other interesting images. Cool shop!

hey peeps me and Talani, Loon, and the rest of the fam. are currently trying to see if we can push this thing of ours later in the evening to not make it a problem with Hukilau . I would personally have this today if i could but the fact that its not a kreepytiki only event and the fact that we put this together for them makes it hard to move around because these people have jobs and are not available to be here sunday (fathers day) so we really want to make it all work out and we will try to make sure nobody gets effed! in all this.

What are those drinks called at the MAI KAI

that have RUM, orange juice and coffee??

They kept C'Al and I up for days and nights in the past!!!

Who needs sleep!!!

It's gonna be a FULL weekend!!!!

Yee haw!

And Lakers on Monday, if............see ya!!

Rev thats cool bro i had me sum uv dem i know whatcha mean haha loon and kreepy Marcus are gonna make some crazy effin' punch and drinks to keep it lit they be makin' sure nobody sleeps in lauderdale on friday the 13th ...also thanks for posting the map directions ..like we said once you crazies are ready to turn it up come thru we never sleep

here's the flyer for the party with all the information and exact street address. regardless, if your traveling on US1, you definitely WONT miss it!

D

That really bites that this event is leeching off Hukilau!!!

[ Edited by: Digitiki 2008-06-06 15:09 ]

digitiki so sorry you feel that way . i guess you didnt read the fact that this party we are having is gonna go on late and you can rest assure that our intentions are not to harm hukilau . but you are entitled to your opinion and conclusions as is everyone else. believe me that this is not a "leech" attempt as i am not charging or selling shit in fact im giving away things(not just my time)along with a bunch of other good people . do what you want but to keep these people in the dark for whatever reason is not in the spirit of things. if you or anyone here attends this you will see that this is not any kind of profiteering so to call it "leeching" is actually uncalled for , furthermore I can assure you that Hukilau attendees are not the only people who care about this.

I have stayed silent until now. This is purely a statement of how it is. This is NOT a Hukilau After Party - those will happen all night at the Cabana. This is a direct hit to the event.

I know that Kreepytiki didn't plan this party to intentionally harm me or Hukilau but their actions could quite possibly have a crucial financial effect on this event. You see, when you use a hotel you sign a contract for a minimum amount of food and beverage sales, on top of that you pay a rental fee for the room. The ONLY person financially responsible is me - Christie White, the producer. No one else writes the checks or pays for anything. If I don't meet the minimum then I have to pay the amount for which we are short. With Kreepytiki giving a FREE (and I have to say incredibly awesome show) this will cut out my possible local ticket sales and as some of you have already stated - you'll be going also. Would you go to a free party that resembles EVERYTHING Hukilau or would you go to Hukilau that costs you $25? Exactly.

I have cancelled the ballroom show at the Bahia Mar and we will now celebrate at the Bahia Cabana again on Friday night. The minimum and the rental approaches $10,000. I cannot chance the risk. I sincerely apologize if this dissapoints anyone but I cannot face a financial ruin this year and the "After" party is certain to draw people away - people=revenue. Even if people leave an hour early to attend their party - that's an hour that people are not drinking - even 30 people would make a significant impact on the numbers.

I'm not quite sure what this will do for the Charles Phoenix show, I will have to announce that later, but the show WILL GO ON!!!! I have spoken with the bands for Friday nights performances, with Torchy Taboo and the sound company and they are all behind me. I have spoken with the Mai-Kai and they are 100% behind the Hukilau event.

This is unfortunate as Kreepytiki has been with Hukilau since the beginning in Atlanta. We have nothing but Aloha spirit between us. I just wish they would've asked me what was best. Did Jaksin from Kreepytiki Tattoo contact me? Yes he did. Did he tell me what they were planning? No, not even close. Did we discuss date/time? No, absolutely not. I wasn't even given a chance. I would've loved to have supported this party and attended myself but I'd much rather be with the ohana at the Cabana that Friday night and with the entertainers that have come such a long way to put on a show for us. After all folks, this is our last year to enjoy it.

Details and all of these changes will be announced via the newslist and at Hukilau Registration. That's my 2cents on the matter.

We will all have an incredible time - I'm hoping for your support.

Yee-Haw & Aloha,

The Hukilau

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki 2008-06-06 17:17 ]

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki 2008-06-06 17:21 ]

Wow - i just got the email that Christie has to now cancel the Friday night show of the very last Hukilau thanks to this conflict.

Nice work dick-heads.

Friday night is not cancelled - it will take place at the Bahia Cabana - same lineup, same stellar show!!!

Nicely phrased, Christie.

I, for one, am going to pass on this "After Party." I personally feel this separate event could have been scheduled for another day and time -thus, not hurting the main events at Hukilau that count on every bit of attendance. If only all of you knew the amount of planning and sweat that goes into just this one night alone.

Have a nice time. I'll be supporting The Hukilau's officially sanctioned events on this last voyage.

*EDITED to correct spelling.

[ Edited by: I dream of tiki 2008-06-06 18:20 ]

K
Kenike posted on Fri, Jun 6, 2008 6:33 PM

Personally, I've always enjoyed the Friday night events at the Bahia Mar....tables, chairs, indoors...I hope the weather is good both nights at the Cabana. I admit I'm disappointed with this change but will not be discouraged.

No wonder Christie is making this the final Hukilau...I can't imagine dealing with this kind of aggravation.

Have your own event some other time. You are steppin on Hukilau's toes. Steeling their guests. Can't you see the damge you are doing to Christie? Aloha ??

Ok, Elvis tiki from Ft Lauderdale, I'll disregard yer comment cuz you are hiding under a fake profile and this speaks volumes of you. so i wont waste my time.

Kiliki, i would've worked something out with you if you had responded to my email (you never did). Only after you found out what we had planned did you decide to write me. I would never messed this up intentionally. what i'm doing will bring a new breed of people into tiki, and keep bringing people to South Florida even though the Hukilau will be no more. Besides, I wasnt only planning on having Hukilau attendees here, there's a lot of people who have walked into my store and been turned onto tiki and have supported this Party and other events that i have put together. Tiki central die hards aren't the only people important in this world of ours. I will not lose sleep over who attends and who doesn't. and to be honest, I don't want elitist tiki people who will look down their nose at us like if we were from another planet here anyhow, so attend if you want don't if you don't. THIS PARTY WILL GO ON! what we have planned here is a tribute, honoring the people who played a MAJOR role in this culture and people who can share their experiences with us because they have NEVER been invited to a Hukilau event, even though they are local. so all of you who support us come see us! we're gonna have a great time!

K

Wouldn't an "Afterparty" start at Midnight and not at 10pm
when the main acts go on at the Hukilau Friday event?

Look into your heart of hearts and acknowledge the truth.

No offense intended, but your words in the recent post suggest that one needs (or always needed?) an invitation to attend The Hukilau. I think those of us who know the event attest that this is not ever been the case. Hukilau is a public, not private, event.

And let's all of us not ever forget that The Hukilau is still a business with costs.

Elitism. That's a separate argument meant for other aspects of tiki.
In this open, and hopefully remaining calm, conversation of opposing point of view, an outsider could easily construe the timing of the Kreepy Tiki "after Party" event as a competing for the spot light. Not an accusation. An observation.

Its very apparent nothing any of us says here is going to stop either event from occurring, so not even going to go there. At the same time, please allow the other side to voice the concerns that the event that so many are traveling far and for is being effected, if not compromised, by a separate event with an overlapping time frame and gratis admission.

EDIT: Again for spelling & grammatical correction

[ Edited by: I dream of tiki 2008-06-06 21:12 ]

M

I think this is a sad situation, and as an event planner, I'm very sympathetic.

Both sides have stated their positions, and Christie has sent out the update to her mailing list.

I don't want this thread to turn into a pissing match- If you're reading this, you know the score, and you can make up your own minds about the situation, your feelings, and choose to attend whatever you want, or both, or whatever.

All I'm saying is, I just don't want to see another ugly damn thread, so my itchy thread-lockin' finger is twitching.

Ok, so let me see if I've got this straight. Even though the Hukilau has been on the calendar for a year, this scheduling conflict is Christie's fault because she didn't email you sooner and/or she didn't respond to one of your emails. Do I have it right so far?

And you're doing this as a public service, to expose more people to tiki culture. Am I still following you?

Excuse me for being slow but, just so I'm clear, are your intentions purely philanthropic or does this have something to do with the fact that you just opened a tiki themed retail shop and this happens to be the weekend that hundreds of tikiphiles will be in Ft. Lauderdale all due to Christie's hard work and financial investment. I mean, why charge people to come to your party when Christie has already spent the money to bring them here in the first place.

But this has nothing to do with money, right? You just want to expose more people to tiki culture during what is the largest, previously scheduled tiki event in the nation. I mean, if people wanted to find out about tiki culture next Friday, they'd be shit out of luck without you, right?

[ Edited by: Elvis-from-Hell 2008-06-06 20:14 ]

I just doubled checked the Hukilau website to make sure before I posted - but it's clearly marked on the schedule that Friday evening's event run from 7:00 p.m. to midnight. That schedule has been posted for several months, if not a year. So to claim that the KreepyTiki event which overlaps this was meant as an "after party" can't be a true statement unless you think 10:00 p.m. comes after midnight.

And to claim that this scheduling snafu is somehow Christie's fault is believable only if you're the kind of person who also thinks we're winning the war in Iraq.

Gimme a break. This is such a sleazy move it's beneath contempt. Hang in there Christie - we all support you.

I posted some of this in a PM, but I wanted to say some of it out loud......

Keep the flame war off the threads, send them in a PM. Everyone getting excited and yelling will get an admin to lock the thread then we will have no further information from anyone. That leaves everything to rumor and innuendo, which is fun, but will not help this discussion.

If you have to choose sides, choose.

If you want to make both parties, go to both. Both events run into the wee hours of the night so it shouldn't be too difficult to see some of each.

If you do decide to go to the Block Party, please take a cab. Parking is limited in that area, and the Police love to set up DUI check points near there. Sitting in jail will not be a good thing regardless of which 'side' you take on this issue.

Now, carry on..... I think Elvis from Hell was speaking last, that means its Kreepy Tiki or Tiki Kiliki's turn......

T

On 2008-06-06 19:09, kreepytiki lounge & tattoos wrote:
I'll disregard your comment cuz you are hiding under a fake profile and this speaks volumes of you.

I usually don't anger easily but I am there now. If you want to talk about "speaking volumes" the long time Hukilau attendees know your number.

You can't talk your way out of this one. YOU scheduled an event in direct conflict with an event that has been planned for over a year. All for a "free" good time?

It has nothing to do with "eliteism" it has to do with common courtsey for Christie and the other Tiki Ohana that so appreciates her work.

Once again, the almighty buck transends ethical business practices.

Tiki Bob

O

On 2008-06-06 20:44, Chip and Andy wrote:
...rumor and innuendo ...wee

Maby it's all the paint , but Dude you are my idol! You managed to get rumor, innuendo and wee in a single post...

I love this place :drink:

On 2008-06-06 21:30, otikiniko wrote:

On 2008-06-06 20:44, Chip and Andy wrote:
...rumor and innuendo ...wee

Maby it's all the paint , but Dude you are my idol! You managed to get rumor, innuendo and wee in a single post...

I love this place :drink:

I would love to take full credit, but its the Mai-Tais.

The beautiful Mai-Tais.

I'm sorry, but that whole deal is just lowdown and rotten. Cabana is far and above better anyway, because one can hear the f'ing completely fantastic lineup from a swimming pool or hot tub with a refreshing rum drink in hand (that be me!!). All the after/during parties take place there. Everything from the penthouses to the balconies lit up. A blast. The OFFICIAL Hukilau after party, as everyone knows, per the tradition for the past four years, actually takes place both nights 50 feet out in the beautiful, moonlit Atlantic Ocean off Ft. Lauderdale Beach. Awesome. Beautiful. So, all that being said, you know where I'm gonna be. Hot parking lots just not for me.

J
Jawa posted on Fri, Jun 6, 2008 10:39 PM

Wow...

I have really good memories of the two Drasnin performances, Waitiki, Haole Kats, my wife Nereia and I dancing with everyone at the Maikai last year while waiting for the second show, and many more! When I realized Nereia and I could not make it this year, I was sad. When Kiliki announced it was the last one, I was more sad.

Then I get the "Critical" email, then see this thread.

If the only big tiki event anywhere close to me generates this kind of bullshit nonsense, maybe it will be another year before I check TC again.

Jason
Tampa, Florida

This is a real shame, we are so looking forward to coming out for the Hukilau, and it will be a shame if it cannot all happen now, can't we talk Christie round to putting it back on, by the sounds of it nearly everybody is going to stay st the Hukilau now anyway, and with the way this post is going, it doesn't sound like many people are going to go to the AFTER PARTY, the last Hukilau and poor old Christie gets this to deal with, it's not fair!
Please Christie, we all support you! Keep the Friday night show!
See you all next week!

M

On 2008-06-06 18:11, tiki_kiliki wrote:
Friday night is not cancelled - it will take place at the Bahia Cabana - same lineup, same stellar show!!!

KreepyTikis - you need to have a sit down with Christie ASAP and work this thing out to her satisfaction. If not, then we go to the mattresses.

Jets vs. Sharks, Gambinos vs. Columbos, Krumps vs. Clowns ("break it on down"), TC'ers vs. KreepyTikis. Dudes - are you really ready for that?

Settle it now. Make peace before you unleash the great tiki war of '08.

M

OK, as promised, I am locking this thread before this goes any further.

The stated opinions and plans of both groups are posted in this thread for your information. Again, make your own informed decision. If there are any changes with Hukilau or the Kreepytiki event, I ask that the organizers post that in a new thread. You may obviously continue to use PM to ask questions, but remember that if anyone reports getting threatening PMs from a TCer, it will be reported to Hanford, so just be civil.

Good night and good luck.

Pages: 1 46 replies