Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Available mod properties (found huge vintage tiki mask in one)

Pages: 1 3 replies

T
txmod posted on Sat, Jun 7, 2008 9:15 PM

I help assemble lists of available mid-century modern properties for a local MCM preservation group, Houston Mod. The idea is to hopefully help match sympathetic buyers with these houses so they don't get torn down. Most of these homes would make good places to house your Tiki collections! I am also going to post the links here too.

I missed something in one of the pictures until I was actually in the house. It is a one owner house I believe, and everything in it is pretty much mid-century era. There is a huge tiki carved mask on the fireplace. If you go to the over $250,000 folder, (the top link), scroll down to 5110 Braesheather, I think it is about 8 houses down, and click on the pic of the fireplace, it is hanging on there. Who knows what the people who live there will end up doing with it.

http://harlistings.marketlinx.com/SearchDetail/Scripts/PrtBuyFulPhoto/PrtBuyFulPhoto.asp?prp=mls&AgentId=trucks&EmailKey=31227998

http://harListings.marketlinx.com/SearchDetail/Scripts/PrtBuyFulPhoto/PrtBuyFulPhoto.asp?prp=mls&AgentId=trucks&EmailKey=31228032

T

Interesting homes, thanks for the link! These homes are a trip down memory lane, my grandparents built an upscale home in Houston in the 50's (my grandfather died in the 60's and my grandmother finally moved out in the late 70's). From the stories my grandmother told me they drove the architect and contractor crazy during design and construction, haha! It was a beautiful example of mid-century design. My grandmother was always boasting about how it was the first home in the area with an intercom system. I remember quite clearly it had a turntable that could pipe music off records to all the rooms. I hope the home is still around, next time I'm in Houston I'll have to go by and check on it.

[ Edited by: TikiTres 2008-06-08 16:08 ]

T
txmod posted on Sun, Jun 8, 2008 9:57 PM

On 2008-06-08 16:06, TikiTres wrote:
Interesting homes, thanks for the link! These homes are a trip down memory lane, my grandparents built an upscale home in Houston in the 50's (my grandfather died in the 60's and my grandmother finally moved out in the late 70's). From the stories my grandmother told me they drove the architect and contractor crazy during design and construction, haha! It was a beautiful example of mid-century design. My grandmother was always boasting about how it was the first home in the area with an intercom system. I remember quite clearly it had a turntable that could pipe music off records to all the rooms. I hope the home is still around, next time I'm in Houston I'll have to go by and check on it.

[ Edited by: TikiTres 2008-06-08 16:08 ]

Do you know what subdivision it was in? Or the street name? So many MCM areas are getting hit HARD with the McMansion builders. Especially west in Memorial and now in Meyerland.

T

I wasn't sure, had to ask my dad because it's been many years since I went by there. It's in Briargrove Park on Green Tree Road. I looked at the street view in Google and surprisingly enough it is almost completely intact just as my grandparents built it, although it is mostly hidden behind some horribly overgrown landscaping.

Pages: 1 3 replies