Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

APB Mai-Kai vandalized

Pages: 1 32 replies

W

BOLO
Friday night some scum bag stole one of the new ash trays from outside of the front doors of the entrance to the Mai-Kai.
They were made [& painted] with a lot of love & cement, 200 lbs.

How low can you go.

BEWARE the curse on any one removing them !
REWARD : Multiple barrels of rum offered for information
leading to it's return.

T
teaKEY posted on Sun, Jun 8, 2008 6:21 AM

Well it can't really sell and can't really be shown and displayed so it won't really be worth having. Does Suck.

Bad mana for the taboo breaker, for sure. This kind of monkey business has been going on ever since Tikis were put in front of buildings. The Trader Mort Tiki was a famous case here on TC, luckily it was returned! I had a United Airlines fountain Tiki stolen out of my front yard. Here is a 1962 newspaper clip that reports the theft (and subsequent bust of the evil doer) of a Tiki in front of the Beverly Hills Luau.

To reiterate again, it is strictly uncouth to liberate any Tiki from operating Tiki temples!

UB

He probably just got bored and walked over to Scores.

B

^^^ Too Funny^^^^

MAHALO'S I Needed That....

T

Comedy Gold!

HC

tongues are missing !

See Will, if you had made me one to begin with it would have never come to this! :wink:

I helped move those things and have to say that whoever took it was pretty motivated. Those suckers are HEAVY!

On 2008-06-08 09:59, Unga Bunga wrote:
He probably just got bored and walked over to Scores.

Apparently those 2 guys like the tiki more than the girl.

On 2008-06-08 09:08, bigbrotiki wrote:
Bad mana for the taboo breaker, for sure. This kind of monkey business has been going on ever since Tikis were put in front of buildings. The Trader Mort Tiki was a famous case here on TC, luckily it was returned! I had a United Airlines fountain Tiki stolen out of my front yard. Here is a 1962 newspaper clip that reports the theft (and subsequent bust of the evil doer) of a Tiki in front of the Beverly Hills Luau.

To reiterate again, it is strictly uncouth to liberate any Tiki from operating Tiki temples!

Ok...So where is this 68 year old tiki thief now??? Maybe the mom of a TCer???LOL!!!

UB

On 2008-06-09 10:57, Jungle Trader wrote:

I just swiped the photo off the net.
It might be the Tiki Lounge in Modesto.

UB

On 2008-06-09 13:41, Unga Bunga wrote:

Uh oh! Recent photo on Tiki Lounge's website.

HA! Ya know, I don't care what persuasion he is, but I wouldn't want him to make my drink. He might use a chest hair as a swizzle stick. Forget that!

RR

It is obvious that this image has been doctored. Who would bring Starbucks into a tiki bar?

ST

Doesn't the health department require hair nets...need an XL for that gut.

Good eye Rob Roy, I didn't catch that. Starbucks makes gay milkshakes. notthatthere'sanythingwrongwiththat

I wonder if you guys would be having such a blast with this if the missing artefact would have been a Tiki you had made yourself, by the sweat of your brow, and for free?

Look on the bright side Sven, it's keeping the thread alive, and don't think we really don't care about something getting stolen, and from all places, the Mai Kai.

He started it.

M

Ha, that tiki will end up traveling the world. We will start to see it on post cards from tahiti or hawaii. LOL

S

Well if you find the sucker who did it, let him know there's a HUGE-ASS lynching party coming to town this weekend. But say it with a smile :)

On 2008-06-10 19:28, mymotiki wrote:
Ha, that tiki will end up traveling the world. We will start to see it on post cards from tahiti or hawaii. LOL

I hope so, if only for the entertainment value. And the hopes that he would eventually make it back home.

But, and I don't say this to stop any of the fun, that particular piece of the Mai-Kai weighs close to 200 pounds.

That is the equivalent of something like 7, maybe even 8, Humuhumu's.

Ok.........so we were there last Friday night........but I swear I did not take it. After drinks I don't remember if it was still there or not. Unga......Scores has been replaced...

TB

Thieving scums!
Any new leads on the oxygen wasters who took it?
Trader Bob

On 2008-06-09 13:54, Unga Bunga wrote:

On 2008-06-09 13:41, Unga Bunga wrote:

Uh oh! Recent photo on Tiki Lounge's website.

Let's see the Village People comprised;

The Police Officer....the Cowboy....the Indian....uhhhh the Construction Worker...Then there was one more member...not quite sure what his schtick was....ummmmmm, oh wait! The Part Time Overweight Bartender right?!?!

W

Not a word.
And to top it off, about 6 months after that the other one was ripped off too.
I may make another set this year. I've thought of ways to bolt them to the ground and cement over the bolts.
We see.
Keep your eyes open. It would seem they should show up some place, some time.
Thanks for thinking about them.

T

You should anchor and or bolt all of your tikis down.
Especially in a commercial setting.
I know that tiki is not very top heavy but a child could
knock it over running around.
And it could land on said child.

My wife and I went to an event and someone knocked a tiki
down and it fell on her toes.
It almost cut two toes off.
Cost us close to two thousand dollars.
Plus my wife can't wear ANY of her old shoes.
Had to buy all new ones, Big roomy ugly ones.
Don't know if she will ever be able to wear high heels or boots again.
That foot still hurts to this day and it's a year later!

So anchor those tikis!!!

G

Will, it was either you or Kern who told me there are surveillance cameras out there now. Not that they would prevent anyone from stealing them again, but we'd at least get to see who the culprit was. Maybe a little technology is called for... wire it up to the security alarm (or go wireless) using a magnetic contact sensor so that if it's moved when the alarm is on, the alarm sounds and the cops show up.

There is still the issue of these guys weighing about 200 pounds each. They are not something you just going to walk up and slip under your jacket and then disappear into the night. You gotta want them to take them.

T

Frat house prank?
The Engineering class in my old school would pull off outrageous pranks every year to mark graduation - one year they stole the teacher's old VW bug & hung it under a bridge, suspended in mid-air.

"...
APB Mai-Kai vandalized
..."

what means "APB" ?
and what was "vandalized" - you only report about a THEFT !

T

APB = "All Points Bulletin".
If years of watching cop shows taught me anything...

8T

I would agree that they were really very cool and I too would enjoy owning one (legally). But I suspect the first one faked his disappearance because he hated having the smokes smashed into his skull. After his escape, he then plotted his friends disappearance and waited for the right opportunity. They are now basking in the sun on a remote beach and they are wearing hats as a disguise and to keep the butts from piling up again.

If I was going to move such a heavy thing as these, here's how I'd get it done. FAST. Roll up in a truck with a lift gate or Tommy lift. Take a dolly and get it under the edge of the tiki base and just roll it over to the lift gate. Up and gone in under a minute! Now this is not to say I would do something like this, only that I think that way some times. And if you think I just unveiled a brilliant idea for the next heist, believe me a crook will have had it figured out faster than I could type. If these are ever replaced, bolt the new ones down and take extreme measures to do so.

Pages: 1 32 replies