Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Win This Tiki Tomorrow, Online Raffle, pg 2

Pages: 1 29 replies

Aloha TC Artists!!! I posted some pics of the build out of our new location a while back, and wanted to post some pics of the "near" finished project (seems like it is a never ending project;) Hope you like :)

The first is a pic of a tiki I am doing for our grand opening giveaway this Wednesday at 8:30 (a tiki that I almost threw out after seeing Benz's lono!). We will actually raffle it away with free tickets at the door... you can purchase extra tickets for $1. This will be my first tiki to be sold/raffled, and I really, really hope it goes to a good home :) Its not finished yet,,, so we will have to do a pick-up at a later date... hopefully a Tiki Terrace customer/TCer will win it!!! Some pics with and without lighting.. it stands about 5'

Then here are some shots of the place... hope you like!!!

This is our stage... we host a Polynesian revue every Friday and Saturday,,, music most Wednesdays, etc...

Here are a few shots of a series of 4-person booths we built from scratch... This was probably the hardest part!

Here are some pics of the tables and backrests for booths... all carved by brothers and I. oh, and I definitely cant forget to mention that BETE did all the white dots you will see on the tiki booth posts! If you need a dot painter for your next project, I can give a reference for BETE! A fine dot painter indeed!

Here is a corner shot.

A shot of our little bar

A pic of my favorite OA piece we own

Here is a pic of the window blinds we made to keep the lights out... and they open so we can still wash the windows!!! Gotta give bamboo ben lots of credit for providing great trim work for us study!!!

A shot of some fiberglass/airbrush tikis we did that were at the old location.

Here is a pic of a canoe we made with some OA decor in the background. Unfortuately, BETE did not do these dots.. the dot work on this canoe definitely lacks.

This is a pretty cool accessory, i thought... A friend gave these to us from an artist in New Zealand... they fit perfectly for the 10' Maois.

So that's it for now... we still have yet to add lanterns, two volcanos that are being glassed, giant sea shells, etc... but time is against me now that we are up and running. So hopefully we will get to this sooner than later.

If you can make it to the wednesday grand opening, please stop in and win this tiki!!! It needs a good home. If you are non-local, please stop by when in town... I really love chatting with the carvers! Ask for Scott... You guys are da best!!!

Aloha!
Scott

[ Edited by: Tiki Terrace 2008-07-28 18:39 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Terrace 2008-08-11 09:27 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Terrace 2008-08-27 14:09 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Terrace 2008-08-27 14:11 ]

T

Thanks for the pics Scott.

Had a great time over there when I stopped in last month, looking forward to coming by and catching the show one of these weekends....

B

Excellent stuff man and that Lono is excellent too, Glad you don't torch it. Your place is really looking Top Shelf And you guys have put in so much sweat equity that it means something unli9ke if you had paid to have it done. Now lookit the skills you have learned and gotten Excellent at I must Say! SWEET!

T

Best looking Tiki Bar that I should be stopping in on.

Will be in Chicago on Saturday the 21th for the 4th Annual GALA at the DvA Gallery

Will have to check it out and have some of those Ginger Sesame Wings - original wing dish you won't see anywhere else

I'll be the tall guy coming in that day.

Oh my gosh....that place is amazing. You and your brother (and the dot painter) are certainly the talent. Wishing you the best in your business and hope to get to see your wonderful place some day. Thanks for the pics. Beatiful tikis. :)

Thanks guys for the kind words! I have one more shot of the tiki before it goes tomorrow... The tiki will be holding a spear when finished... just finished drilling for the dowel... plus a couple other minor things to make more presentable for tomorrow... unfortunately, it wont be done, but time is against me.

Thanks and hope to see you tomorrow! And hopeing a carver wins this tiki !!!!

Aloha, Scott

Awesome digs - your efforts will be well appreciated Im sure!

S

Great Pic's of the Place.

Nice work on the tiki he looks incredible under the lights
I'm sure someone is going to love this.

Thanks Tama and Seeks! Seeks, you mentioned in one of your posts of your method to ultra smooth finish... simply tons of hand sanding. so I gave it a try, and I got to give it to you... you must have muscles upon muscles in your hands and fingers! That gets painful quickly!

So here are some updates on Tiki #1... still have detailing to do. Plus a spear. But the bulk is done.

Here is some fun news:
I have started tiki #2 and will raffle it off on Aug 28. All the raffle income goes to the American Heart Association, so hopefully we will get a good turn out and Tiki #2 will also find a good home! We are going to streamline the event and run the video live on the internet... from our wesite. So anyone can tune into the event and even purchase raffle tickets via paypal, and do it from the comfort of your home,,, out of state, etc.. Tickets will be a dollar per... so its cheap and for a good cause!

Thanks
Scott, Tiki Terrace

[ Edited by: Tiki Terrace 2008-07-28 18:42 ]

T

You place just like your tikis is just amazing. All your hard work his paying off.
Kudos to you!!!

[ Edited by: Tahitiki 2008-07-28 19:12 ]

H
hewey posted on Mon, Jul 28, 2008 7:28 PM

Thats amazing mate, well done! I've loved your posts when you come on here and show us your work. But seeing it all coming together now, its just awesome! :D And the giveaway tiki looks great! Someone is going to be very happy!

Wow. Just wow. I need some more palm tree trunks. I see I have a long way to go before
I can do something nice like that!

I love the Tiki, it looks "alive." I can't believe that I haven't been
to the Terrace yet, but it's on my list.
Your carvings and decor really look like everything was salvaged from a
classic bar.

wow and wow

I love your new place. Definately a must visit if I ever get over to your locale . . ..

The Moai's - 10ft tall? and the detail in the booths looks fabulous!

Well done!

KS

Very cool. I made a note in my calender to tune in to your live streaming webcast. I can't wait to come up and visit! The place looks awesome!

Wow! I just found this thread. What-a-place! Since when did Chicago become a suburb of Polynesia! I would LOVE to be sippin Mai Tai's in thar.
Excellent, excellent work.

Dang it! I think Chicago is just a tad off my Los Angeles-Florida Road Trip route. Does the I-20 go that far North? I might have to get a new map showing that it does.

Awesome place! I hope it stays open for many years to come.

S

Man i thought i put up a post on this page ?
I have looked at it more than 3 times.
Love all the pics of the lounge and this
tiki you carved its outstanding work.

Thanks for the views and comments!

Tiki #2 is in the rough stage now. He is about 7'. I call him the Mo'o. Based on song Ha'u Ha'u Eh... a song honoring the King and his "physique". The dancers do this song in the weekend show and its a great tune!

*** We are raffling this tiki for the American Heart Association with 100% of the raffle income to the charity. Tickets are $1. And we are running the raffle on-line. Will also be streaming a live video (might be slightly delayed) of the event. So you can view the live event from our website and buy raffle tickets via paypal. So please tune in... and its for a good cause.
If you are in the area and want to attend the event, we are giving away free mugs, free Wiki Wiki Tiki Tees, $4 Mai Tais, entertainment, and more. Should be a really fun time.

I'll post more details, but for now, the event is Aug 28 and the drawings will be at 8:30 central time.

So here are a few pics of the tiki in the rough. Thanks

I'll post more about the event and more pics as they come. Thanks!

T

Niiiiiiice!! And it's a babe magnet too! You are definitely gifted, that's some real magic there. :D

S

Hard to see in this pic. Ehem. Just what is he holding?

Thanks for the replies. sorry about the pic. The tiki will be holding a lizard/gecko.... a mo'o. Its loosely based on a Hawiian tune that speaks of the gecko. Ha'u Ha'u Eeh. Fun song!

I got a little more done with the detail of the gecko and hopefully it will look like a lizard when done. Will get pics and post soon. Thanks!
Scott
PS swanky... we are following the follynesia and spreading the word over here in Chicago... best of luck! if you get flyers printed, send and we will post.

Sweet! Gotta love those lizards.....

If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything.

[ Edited by: Tikilizard 2008-08-15 10:22 ]

last reminder about the online tiki raffle. Again, all proceeds go to the American Heart Association and tickets are just $1. You can get your tickets on-line at http://www.thetikiterrace.com

I had a chisel accident a couple weeks ago (I'm still pretty new to and clumsey with chisels)... ended up with 8 stiches which slowed the progress. But have been at it lately. No major progress.... just working detailed chisel work. Need to finish base carvings, his back, carvings on head-piece, and misc. Then will sand/stain. Here is a pic with some progress and will keep posting.

Still hoping a carver wins!

Thanks

B

Scott, this is REALLY an Incredible Tiki, your Carving talents are Outta Sight and to be Envious of by Many of us. :P Big Thanks for doing this, Much Respect for you. UNBELIEVABLE!
I Gots my tickets and will definitely join you on-line. I will be PROUD to have this tiki of yours.
HAppyHappyHappy

Thanks Benz! Hey, guess what... I have my first Benzart now! I got one of your Maoi head necklaces just yesterday and am wearing it with pride. Its awesome!

So the winner was a guy from Texas that bought tix on line. The winnner of the painting was a local woman that was at the event. I'll keep posting progress pics as I finish the tiki up!

Thanks again for the support everyone! About $1500 was raised for the American Heart Association! We will do it again in 3-4 months. Will keep you posted. Aloha!

B

Thanks Scott, I'm Really happy you got that one, It's the red fezzed Moai right?
Your tiki really is Excellent, I Love the deep detail and the way you undercut the lower jaw and set in the eyes and overall you really took the detail to the limit, Nice going!

B

This tiki is excellent !

Great work.

Benjamin.

B

So who was the lucky winner?

T

Kinda like the sign in front of the corner bar. "Free Beer Tomorrow"

Pages: 1 29 replies