Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

help with the Narrow Escape's white wall

Pages: 1 9 replies

BS

The Narrow Escape unfortunately has this white exterior wall of the house..would love to cover it up with something, maybe a climbing vine, but not something that will tear the siding apart or attract pests..don't think I want more reed fence..

Are you on concrete or pier and beam? Looks like some clumping bamboo either in the ground or in narrow tubs would break things up nicely.

M

On 2008-06-09 21:10, RevBambooBen wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paint

Funniest thing I have read in a long time - Thanks Ben!

Hi, adding to Ben's 'word' of wisdom--you could make that area of your house look like one or more facades of island or plantation style out-buildings with paint and signage and possibly rustic shutters or bamboo trim around the windows. Enough to create the illusion and compliment the rest of your tikified area.
As an example--I'm planning to build a backyard deck as though it were a dock (reaching out and around our hot tub) with a small boat 'moored' to it to sit in. The area of the back of my house that surrounds it will be altered with awnings, trim, paint and signage to look like dockside tropical buildings.
Good luck and have fun :)

Okay smartarse. I could do paint, but I'm not sure where to stop..I'm not ready to do the whole house and it would look pretty weird with three white walls and one tiki-colored wall.

Pupu, I love your idea, that sounds like it's going to be awesome. If I had the space I would totally steal it.

Von, I've always been afraid of planting bamboo, are you suggesting it could pop up under the house? What about my neighbor's yard?

I like PPP's idea about his dock...it's all about faking it. Some faux painting here, some rustic shutters there, & planting anywhere. Cover the patio in sand and make the back of your house look like a little grass shack with floatsam hanging all over it and a surfboard propped up next to the door...several tikis and defintiely some bamboo. I'm sure whatever you do, it will look great...there is potential in your space...you just need to get the right vision. :)

On 2008-06-10 08:14, bamboo stu wrote:

Von, I've always been afraid of planting bamboo, are you suggesting it could pop up under the house? What about my neighbor's yard?

Use rhizome barrier, even if you choose to put in clumping bamboo.

"Sealant tape is provided free with any barrier order"

Man these guys are living in a fools paradise! I have seem Bamboo separate an improperly installed stainless steel clamp set & kept on going - Tape? LOL!

M

Stu,
Take a look at what these guys have in fencing.
http://www.calibamboo.com/
I used their bamboo fencing that comes in rolls on a chain link fence using zip ties to attach and it came out great.
The "how to install" section of the site was helpful.

Pages: 1 9 replies