Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Polynesian art from XVIII and XIX century in Paris

Pages: 1 11 replies

V

This summer in Paris at the Quai Branly museum, there is the great exhibition already displayed at the British museum last year, currated by Steven Hooper, under the name of "Polynesian Encounters".

This is a collection of more than 250 items, very rare, such as the feather mask from Hawaii, lots of idols, ivory jewels...

I really recommand this exhibition to anyone who could be in Paris from now till mid september.

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Jun 14, 2008 6:09 AM

Any chance of taking pics (not allowed?) or linking us up with how we can buy the show catalogue, mon ami?

Dang, I really gotta go and visit that place, this would be such a perfect occasion! I am quite proud that they are selling Tiki Modern in the book store of such an important ethnographic museum. :)

V

here's one link to get the English version catalogue, really interesting, with plenty of pictures : amazon

S

Thanks for the tip Virani.

Musee Quai Branly already has an awesome permanent exhibition so this should be over the top! The best part for me was seeing the hundreds of Polynesian and Asian percussion instruments being restored in the glassed-in center column of the building. I'm shooting for mid-late July. I believe they are closed on Mondays.

Big Bro:I got a copy of Tiki Modern there :) Incredible gift shop!!

V

Squid, you should tell me when you're in Paris. I'm always up for tiki talking and drinking!!

V

oh, and you're right. the bookstore is great. I even got vintage books there, such as a 70's tiki drawing book for children from Hawaii. Very nice.

S
squid posted on Tue, Jun 17, 2008 3:30 PM

On 2008-06-17 04:37, virani wrote:
oh, and you're right. the bookstore is great. I even got vintage books there, such as a 70's tiki drawing book for children from Hawaii. Very nice.

So you're the one who got that book!! Just kidding...

I will definitely let you know when I head out there. In the planning stage at the moment.

B

Hi everyone,

Here are some pix of the exhibition "polynesia, arts and divinities" at the musee du quai Branly in Paris.
I was there last week but my spirit is still at the museum :lol: , I hope to visit it again before the end...

Contrary to a book, what is interesting is that you can see how a tiki's back looks like... Interesting for a carver !

A maori knife/ scarificator :

Some tikis (Marq and Rapanui/Easter Island) near the Cafe/ restaurant "Les ombres" :

Only a few pix of the exhibition that shows hundreds more... but to take pix in museums it is often forbidden in France. My cell was hidden behind a magazine :wink:

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

myspace

Tiki Addict Corner

[ Edited by: benella 2008-07-22 07:02 ]

V

Merci Ben ! Nice job !!
I'll try to do some more when I'll go back again soon.
you should go quickly to the Rapa Nui exhibition that is untill the end of the month at the Galerie Louise Leiris. It's free and a fantastic collection (47 rue de Monceau).

B

Merci Virani, I didn't remember there was a rapanui exhibition there. I'll go to it as soon as possible :wink:

Ben.

I just received my copy of Pacific Encounters: Art & Divinity in Polynesia 1760-1860 from Amazon. What a great reference book! Plenty of history and very nice images of artifacts and period documentation. This book was made as a companion to the exhibit, so from past experiences, this exhibit must be awesome. I envy all able to see it.

Virani, thanks for providing the Amazon link.

Pages: 1 11 replies