Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Trader Vic's Salt & SALT Shakers....RARE????

Pages: 1 23 replies

W

I found these for yesterday at the Bellevue, Washington Goodwill. $3.

They're modern Trader Vic's shakers. Being a bit of a traditionalist I like to think they were freshly stolen from the Bellevue Trader Vic's.

The shakers were taped together and when I took the tape off I couldn't believe my eyes! I discovered that what I thought were salt & pepper shakers were actually salt & salt shakers!!!

Now I'm very curious:

Are these rare?

How many salt & salt sets are out there?

Are they made especially for certain Trader Vic's where the food is particularly bland?

Are there any pepper & pepper shakers?

Do you think Salt-N-Peppa will ever play the Puyallup Fair?

If I go to Trader Vic's in Bellevue do you think they'll know when this pair of salt & salt shakers was made, when they were used, whether they were used in the restaurant or bar, who might have used them, why they used them (bland food, chain smoker with no tatsebuds, trying to catch a bird, etc.)?

I want to use these on my dresser and put lavender scented talc in one, gunpowder in the other. Could this ruin their resale value?

I heard that some people think Trader Vic didn't actually invent the Mai Tai...Is this true?

If I move across country and hire a moving company should I list the salt & salt shakers as "collectibles" or "dishware"? Or maybe even "utensils"???

If I filled these s & s shakers with rum and drank from them using very tiny straws would they then be considered Tiki mugs?

Anyone now where I can get really tiny straws?

RR

No
Yes
No, that would be silly.
Yes, if the money is good enough.
No
No
Yes
List as "please throw across the moving truck."
No
Yes

MUTT!!! That crack-cocaine is really giving you a good edge lately...what with the dump dialog, your fabulous acceptance speech for the Bilge award, and now the rare salt/salt find...I can't seem to pull myself out of this deep depression you have put me in.

I wonder if there's an alternate universe with a bearded evil set of pepper shakers?

I wonder if anything is burning in L.A. that has nothing to do with this post.

On 2008-06-14 22:01, spy-tiki wrote:
I wonder if there's an alternate universe with a bearded evil set of pepper shakers?

And a salty damsel in distress?

I think they are from Trader Vics - Salt Lake City

W

It is with a great sadness and a heaviness of heart which I feel will never be lifted that I tell you this: I must sell the salt & salt shakers in order to make room for a dried fig which sort of resembles the outline of the state of Oregon (yes, The beaver State) and which my father's cousin's half brother-in-law Horace asked me to keep "...Until that day when the Great Figgy Lords of Old return and shower their blessings and delicious Fig Newtons upon the people of Earth." Oh Horace! If I had just one tenth of your faith I'd be a happy happy man.

S

Thank you for your posts, your creativity and sarcasm, always make me smile.

J

Woofmutt.

You are like, so brilliant, 'n stuff!

For reals....

D

oh swell. i have 7 Pepper Shakers.
where's those lost shakers of Salt?

On 2008-10-10 13:58, dogbytes wrote:
oh swell. i have 7 Pepper Shakers.
where's those lost shakers of Salt?

I'll try and help you look but it's really hard when I am "wasting away again in my gorilla suit"

Did you know "some people say that my songs sound so lame!"

In your heart you know he's right.

D

All your base are belong to us

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine 2008-10-11 17:49 ]

D

megasnort.

S

Oh, OK...So it's some sorta priestess/goddess adoration ritual. Jeez! Tiki is so much more complex than Parrotheadism.

Woofmut,

I think what you purchased is a set of salt and pepper shakers from the Trader Vics in Paris France.
The French label both the shakers with an S, which begs the question, how the hell do the French know
which is which??

T

OK spy-tiki, am I the only one that noticed your photo enhanced extensions on these shakers? :lol:

[Over the hill and scraping my way up the other side, but I'll be damned if I'm going down with out a fight!]

MYSPACE

[ Edited by: tikipaka 2008-10-12 14:35 ]

[ Edited by: tikipaka 2008-10-12 14:37 ]

HK

It is with great honor that I can say that I am the proud new owner of the salt and salt shakers that you speaketh of. Carry on.

D

the next time you're over ~ you can pick 2 pepper shakers from the Treasure Chest.. just like at the dentist!

Oh man what an excellent idea fer a fall TIKI EVENT

The Rongorongo Room
in conjunction with
Trader Vic's Bellevue Going Bust
presents...

The TV's S&P Wedding

Come and celebrate the joining of two ceramic couples in utilitarian union... Blah blah blah...Rum and cookies to be served...Aloha wear...Blah blah blah.

UB

On 2008-10-12 14:35, tikipaka wrote:
OK spy-tiki, am I the only one that noticed your photo enhanced extensions on these shakers? :lol:

Those are not shakers, those are the Extremely Rare soy sauce servers.

W

Too late to stake yer claim but Trad'r Bill just gave away one of the very rare Trader Vic's Solo Salt Shaker sets.

Wait, a set of one?

Pages: 1 23 replies