Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

July 25th, Curse of the Surf Tiki: Satan's Pilgrims @ Hula Hula, Seattle

Pages: 1 10 replies

Surf's Up! Other than a few recurring performances by local bossa-pop band Lushy, Seattle's Hula Hula bar rarely offers live entertainment. Because of this and because of Hula Hula's Surf 'N' Tiki decor, not to mention its smaller than the usual live music venue capacity (220 people), a very special show will be taking place.....

Friday, July 25th, 8pm
Curse Of The Surf Tiki!
Featuring...
Satan's Pilgrims
The Mercury Four
DJ Terence Gunn
$12
at
Hula Hula
106 1st Ave. (1st & Denny)
Seattle, WA

Tickets are available online:

http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/37506

[ Edited by: DJ Terence Gunn 2008-06-18 11:18 ]

sounds cool
I'm gonna try to make it up for that.

they are also playing a outdoor street festival in Portland on Sat. the 26th.
more info here.

http://www.surfguitar101.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5832

Jeff(bigtikidude)

K
KuKu posted on Sun, Jul 6, 2008 8:59 AM

Sounds fun! Too bad I can't make the show but that poster/flyer ROCKS!!! and I would love to have one for my collection. Are there any for purchase and if so would you let me know...?

One day, there will be a cure for tiki,
That's the day I'll throw my rum away...

[ Edited by: KuKu 2008-07-06 09:00 ]

On 2008-07-06 08:59, KuKu wrote:
Sounds fun! Too bad I can't make the show but that poster/flyer ROCKS!!! and I would love to have one for my collection. Are there any for purchase and if so would you let me know...?

One day, there will be a cure for tiki,
That's the day I'll throw my rum away...

[ Edited by: KuKu 2008-07-06 09:00 ]

Natalie from The Mercury Four designed the flyer.

http://themercuryfour.com/site.html

My energy is still rather sapped from last weekend's Seattle Area Home Bar Tour, and the couple weeks leading up to it, but my enthusiam is growing more and more stronger for Friday night's special event at Hula Hula.

I believe, as of today, there is no longer an option for online tickets (and many have sold already). If you were somehow able to get one today or within the last couple of days, your name will most likely be on a 'Will Call' list, as the ticket(s) won't reach you at home in time. (But don't contact me with questions about that, as I'm not handling that side of things for this event.) There's also been rumour that tickets will be $15 after 9pm, but $12 between 8pm and 9pm. I don't know if that's going to be true, but I heard some of the (other) organisers talking about it. In any case, expect a queue, and show up early, if you can!

This is going to be one helluva show; and in a decent venue for a change! And up close and personal with Satan's Pilgrims is a treat in itself. See you there!

Aloha!

-Terence.

Sadly I was not able to afford to go up to the NW for the 2 SP shows.
hope it went really well.
and was wondering if there is any pics and or video?

here is some from the Portland street festival.
http://www.surfguitar101.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=6418

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2008-07-27 12:33 ]

Aside from rushing round at the last minute finding an extra power strip for the Pilgrims, the show was a success! Hula Hula not being a live music venue, I was really surprised how smoothly everything went. (When I've sat in and played with Lushy we never had any issues at Hula Hula; but then again, Lushy isn't a surf rock band, and no cover was ever charged -- hence no door people necessary. This time it was two bands, and was plenty damned loud, and there was door and security staff.) We were expecting a larger turn-out, of course, but the crowd that did show up was plenty (150 or so); and a good crowd it was, too. A very positive experience, as well as a learning one, and hopefully one that will influence further shows along similar lines at Hula Hula. And, as I said before, up close and personal: no stage, no barrier, no distance; this is the way I like my live music. Hula Hula's bar area is raised, whereas the area where the bands played are sunken, so there's plenty of opportunity to see everything going on, without the necessity of a stage.

There was a young lady filming the show; and I did see several phone cameras, etc., so I'm sure something resembling images -- moving or otherwise, with sound or without -- will turn up soon.

Thanks Terrance,

I hope its ok to post your review of the show on sg101.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2008-07-28 12:07, bigtikidude wrote:
Thanks Terrance,

I hope its ok to post your review of the show on sg101.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

No objections. However, I didn't say anything about the bands' performances. Both bands were in top form that night. Each band performed one long set. The Mercury Four was absolutely on fire and manic that night, but WAY TOO LOUD. Satan's Pilgrims -- despite having three guitarists -- played at a much more agreeable level; they played their hearts out, as they always do, with passion and professional restraint, and played many fan favourites. And yes, they wore their capes.

Both bands did play in semi-darkness; but then again Hula Hula is a tiki bar. In fact, there were stage lights that could've been used, but the operator/sound man who uses them for Hula Hula's karaoke nights was off that night, as his presence seemed superfluous for such music -- i.e., un-mic'ed and instrumental, amp-based.

Once again I have to reiterate the layout and atmosphere of Hula Hula for seeing a live show. Aside from the decor and atmosphere, one can move about with ease; one can sit or stand and see a show from many different areas and views; one can order good drinks and receive them in a reasonably timely manner, from actual friendly bartenders and staff; one can order pupus; one can step outside for a smoke in a small, but designated area with chairs; one doesn't have to queue up in long lines to use ill-equipped toilet facilities; etc., etc.

Though Hula Hula does have some short-comings as a potential live music venue, and, of course, has a smaller capacity than some (and a damn pool table that takes up space and needs to be moved for a performance), it really works quite well for a more intimate showing. For me, the live performance/music is only one aspect of a good night out; quality of the venue and its staff is another.

I suppose, in many ways, people who attended this show may have felt a little too at ease, too comfortable, too free to move about, to get close to the bands without fighting the crowd, not being accustomed to do these things at the more popular, but grossly overrated usual Seattle live music venues, at which such a show would more regularly be seen. Myself, I'm glad I'm not accustomed to such things, nor tolerate them easily.

S

too many big words and fancy writing for Pea,
did ya like it or not?
I thought it was a GREAT time!
I liked how you could see the band from anywhere.
I like that drinks are improved again!
I like that I had fun dancing in front.
I liked that I brought the bands pbrs
I like that the bathrooms there are clean
I like that the weather was awesome!
I like that the bartenders and cocktail servers were great!!!
I didnt like when the drunk wheelchair guy put his face in my boobs, but whatever, he was probably just tanked. Luckily that was the end of the night, so no big deal.
I loved the music of both bands.
I rmemeber Satans' Pilgrims being louder before, but I also remember their capes being shorter. ARe they getting OLD?
hehehehehe
Thanks to Hula Hula for letting both bands play,and letting us have our own lil private-like party

Pages: 1 10 replies