Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Take a few minutes and Photograph It!

Pages: 1 2 60 replies

J

As did I- at the Harbor Playground, Port Jefferson, NY.

Yea I have to start taking photos of the cool stuff that is still around.

TT

After a little research, I discovered that these Rockets are (were) all over the US and several in Australia too... I wonder who supplied the plans for these?

J

What a great thread!

Just a thought, it might be useful to add a dedicated sticky thread for 'Tiki-Sightings'... where people can post photos like these and make it ongoing? (If there is one already... forgive me!)

Anyway, I'm glad someone else said it first, there are so many things I would love to have seen in person had I been into tiki (or alive for that matter) even 25 years ago... Things that just don't exist anymore like restaurants, hotels, resorts etc. If people don't snap these things, newer tikisters like myself will never know what they missed out on!

Jimzip :D

I found this next to a medical building and as the cliche goes "I've past by this place a million times before I saw it".

LT

On the corner of E. Mission and N. Broadway in Escondido; I don't know what it was originally. When I was a kid I remember seeing lots of these types of drive-in restaurants all across California. My favorite was probably the Giant Orange - now long gone - in Tracy, (in between Stockton and Modesto).

J

On 2008-08-26 14:32, Tiki Trav wrote:
After a little research, I discovered that these Rockets are (were) all over the US and several in Australia too... I wonder who supplied the plans for these?

Werner von Braun?

I

I just finished reading an essay from photographer John Rosenthal (The Sun Magazine, Sept 08 issue) where he talks about photographing various worlds before they disappear. I thought I'd share a few of his words, as they fit the thread here....

"I wanted the photographs to say See, this was here, and that was there. For a photographer, that seemed a simple enough and legitimate task. The moment we allow ourselves to forget the intimate details of a Somewhere, Donald Trump and his ilk, waiting in the wings, will happily make an entrance and build us a new and improved Nowhere - monolithic, impersonal, luxurious, and white."

LT

Joor Muffler - Escondido, CA

On 2008-09-06 10:32, LOL Tiki wrote:

Damn, I looked for that guy, but I was on Parkway Alley. No wonder I couldn't find it. :lol:

This sign is still up, for now. They put up new signs near the road that are the simple paint on plywood, rather than spend the money to fix up this one.

There is an old motel a few blocks from my house that had a huge neon sign. It has since been replaced with a regular sign just like everything else in town. Procinema29 is right, take pictures now, because the cool stuff you see will be replaced with a cookie cutter building or sign.

LT

On 2008-09-10 18:46, blindy the pirate wrote:

On 2008-09-06 10:32, LOL Tiki wrote:

Damn, I looked for that guy, but I was on Parkway Alley. No wonder I couldn't find it. :lol:

Joo can't find Joor Man if joor on the wrong road!

LOL Tiki!

[ Edited by: LOL Tiki 2008-09-10 19:01 ]

Duke:
They are restoring a Harvey House out in my neck of the woods. When ever I get the bug to do an afternoon road trip I'll do some snooping around. Here's their site: http://www.harveyhouseofslatontx.com/

Kenike:
There is/was a park located somewhere in Garland that still has/had a rocket. After I finish this job I'm currently working on, I'll look around online to see if I can post more info.

I drive by this place every once in a while. Other than the rock wall and the Motel sign there’s not really much to it but I like it.

R

hey boris i like it too!

Pages: 1 2 60 replies