Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tiki Lee's Carving Post: 1st carving since '09!?

Pages: 1 2 53 replies

Aloha Friends!

Well, it's been a couple o' years since Coon Tiki and my first gathering of forbiddon knowledge of tiki carving, and I've got a few works under my belt since then. So, I thought I'd put all of my projects into one place and add each new piece into this one thread instead of making a new thread for each one like in the past.

So, let's catch up, shall we?

I'll post one picture from each post and provide the link so I don't have to repeat the whole sequence of progression for each one, or this thread would be way too long right off the bat! This way, you can read the thread or just scan the photos or whatever...

My First Tiki

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=19696&forum=7

My Second Tiki

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=21248&forum=7

A Little Hookin'

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=21417&forum=7

My First Chainsaw Attempt

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=23991&forum=7

A Progression of Witco-Style works from first to latest...

Here's a series of two-footers I carved for the auction at last years' Tiki Oasis

I started this one at last years' Tiki Oasis and finally finished it in the Spring.

The latest is this Witco-Style Pineapple Tiki that I finished last week.

I'd love to try and do this one in Redwood or Cedar instead of the rock-hard Douglas Fir that I have to use, but you just can't get the soft wood in big enough planks down here in Vegas. I might have to make a special wood-buying trip next time I go to Cali.

That about brings us up to date. I skipped a few pieces to keep the post brief, but I see that it didn't help. Anyway, now I have one place to post all my future creations.

To The Future...!

Until then, my friends!

[ Edited by: Tiki Lee's 2008-07-13 00:49 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Lee's 2008-07-22 23:25 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Lee's 2008-08-05 14:49 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Lee's 2009-04-16 01:36 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Lee's 2009-09-05 22:18 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Lee's 2009-09-06 20:03 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Lee's 2012-03-24 16:07 ]

Hey Lee, I like your Witco style stuff, especially that non-Witco Maori mug mask, ...and the fish is cool in its simplicity.

On 2008-06-21 00:47, bigbrotiki wrote:

...and the fish is cool in its simplicity.

*And it displays awesomely on my workshop wall, way down here in Aotearoa! :) As such I have a soft spot for your Witco-style work Lee.
Great way to reintroduce and organise your carves.
That first mask of yours is great, testiment to the fact that you were born to do this.

Nice post TikiLee, happy to see that you kept carving after that little
bonfire at Coontiki I. I really like your Witco inspired collection,
please keep us "posted" on your future creations.

Sweet stuff, Lee!

S

I like the use of boards in tiki art. What type do you use?

Hi Lee. I'm just starting to get out of Other Crafts a little bit now, and I'm sorry to admit I've never seen your work until now. I have a very hard time believing that your first Tiki is really your first... it is fantastic! You're an excellent craftsman.

Mahaloz Plenny You Guys!

BigBro- props from you always thrill the heck out of me- thanks! The Maori Mask went to our own Sophista-Tiki for the last art swap.

Tama- Speaking of art swaps... It still boggles my mind that something I made is in N.Z. In YOUR workshop, no less! Whatta honor!

Conga- You rock! I'm so jealous (in a good way!) of all the cool carvings you've done!

4WD- Now that you mention "Sweet", how's my Sweetie?

Sungod- I've been stuck using rock-hard Doug Fir since I can't get good sized Redwood or Cedar here in Vegas. I'm DYING to try it to see if I can get my sharp corners softened.

Robb- We just spoke a few hours ago and you KNOW that I'm your biggest fan. It's so cool that you kinda like what I do too!

S

Nice Lee, you have a good variety of carves in your collection.

Ain't no kinda to it, Lee.

Do you have anything new happening, or are you "enjoying" your wonderful Tiki room too much?

Hello Tiki Lee, I was admiring your work and thought I'd drop a note saying that it is inspiring my own chainsaw carving into new directions! I want to ask, where do you get your wood, such as the blocks of fir, and the palm? I've been looking around for more big chunks of palm and other soft wood, butt so far have been unsucessful, any suggestions? Please let me know, my email is [email protected], I look forward to swapping ideas with you!

-Captain FOREMAN

B

Hey T-Lee, It has been fun to watch your progress from that first Coon Tiki, My, have you come A Long way. It looks to me that you were Born to the Witco Style. Excellent stuff. Just do more and Quicker!
:lol:

Awww, yall's is too nice!

Anyway, here's the latest. It's a little 12 incher made of that rock hard Douglas Fir. You can see the sketch of it on the wood in the photo above. I finally figured out how to get the "elusive" soft edge that comes naturally from burning when you use cedar or redwood. I actually had to carve the softness in by hand with the saw blade. It was a pain and took a long time, but you can see that it made all the difference in the world- for the better. I also used that Howard's Orange Oil/Beeswax stuff to finish it with. I like the look MUCH better than the satin varnish. It makes it look alot softer as well. Too bad it's a pain to apply in all the crevices! Varnish just goes right on in a snap and flows into all the nooks & crannys. The Orange Oil/Beeswax has to be forced into all of 'em and it's not fun.

Dang! -why can't I just find some good sized redwood so I don't have to do everything the hard way!

Mahaloz!

Good lookin' mask, Lee! I like the way you did the cheekbones, really distinctive.

What size lumber was that, 2x8?

4WD- That was a 2" by 12" Doug Fir board. It was just long enough to get the Pineapple, that last short mask, and the last "drawing" on the board a few posts up. I actually just finished that one, but I haven't put the orange oil/beeswax on it yet. I'll post a picture of it soon.

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Jul 20, 2008 5:03 AM

Leester -

There are lots of places you can pick up cedar here in San Diego. Git some 2x12s while you're in town! Can't go wrong - it's cheap as a morning bike ride.

And remind me to show you around a few local classic antique shops if you have the time.

So here's the finished carving of the last drawing on the board in the post above. Now that I know how to get softer cuts, and am using Howard's Beeswax, I'm alot happier with the results.

It's about 2' tall, and 12" across; rock-hard Doug Fir again.

Which reminds me, I actually found a 2" x 8" x 8' REDWOOD Board today, so I FINALLY get to try out this softer wood in a format larger than a dang fence plank! Yipee!

I'll be back soon!

[ Edited by: Tiki Lee's 2008-07-22 23:32 ]

S

Looking good Tiki Lee, have fun with the redwood.

TL

O.K.- so the redwood ain't as soft and easy as I had thought. BUT, it was much easier to burn. The doug fir takes a long l-o-n-g time to get the desired effect, and redwood bubbles up "like that".

So here's what I've been toying with these past weeks...

each one is about 1' to 1 1/2' tall.

I've also been making pendant-sized pieces to sell at T.O. 8. Each one is different, but they all kinda look like this:

I just have to decide how to thread 'em. A hook-eye in the top, or a dangerous drilling expidition thru the core? I don't have a drill press, so I'm afraid that I might wreck a bunch with a wobbly drill hand thru fragile charred wood.

I'll be back soon with more!

S

Nice work! Sounds like you are having fun experimenting
with the wood and technique.

T

Lee, I just started delving into trying to work wood into a Witco look as well, but you're obviously way ahead of me, these look fantastic! I've been playing with cedar the last couple of weeks and today tried calling around for redwood (ironic now that I've read this thread and see that I'm basically following a few steps behind you). I found a couple of places that stock 2x8's, but won't sell to the public. One told me I could get Lowe's to order it from them for me, so I'm going to pursue that. Anyway, very impressive work you're doing!

[ Edited by: TikiTres 2008-08-08 08:34 ]

T

By the way, are you carving with a chainsaw? I tried it but just can't control it like I want. I finally switched to making the main cuts with a router and then deepening and shaping the cuts with assorted sanding & carving bits chucked up in a moto-tool.

Nice work, Lee!

Killer! Look great. They look like little chocolates! Hmmmm, THERE's an idea! Tiki chocolates.

I think your new redwood stuff is bitchin' Lee!

Hey, anybody in San Diego wanting to take a closer look at some of Lee's cool work, stop by Freaky Boutiki & tell 'em Hodaddy sent ya to recieve an Ohana discount card reusable till global warming submerges our store!

Aloha Gang!

I finally got around to actually carving something these past weeks. Fighting foreclosure is a Royal Bitch and I don't recommend it to anyone because it messes up Everything in your life. Anyway, it's been almost a year since I carved something and I finally got the chance to get back to it. Can you say "RUSTY?" Man, I've forgotten a whole lot. I have to get back to Palm Logs before I forget everything I've been taught.

Anyway, here it is:

It's about 36" tall by 12" wide in Redwood. I made it for my folks' patio. They have a small orchard of Orange Trees, so my Wife Gloria suggested I make this guy holding an Orange. And there you have it... Not too bad, but not as good as I wanted it to be, either. Gotta keep practicing without the dag-gone long down-time in between!

Nice, Lee, I like it! Good to see you back!

move over WITCO!
Nice job Lee!
Happy to see you
whipping up a creative frenzy
after a long break....

YAY!

Real nice Lee! I guess you don't have to toss your stuff on the campfire
anymore :)

BD

nice stuff lee. love all the designs you use, gotta agree with little lost tiki. did you ever find the cedar or redwood planks? you might try glueing a few pieces together to get your desired width. just a thought.

bd

Mahaloz, Guys!

4WD & Conga: I wish I had kept up on the carving like you all. I might be making better quality stuff instead of staying the same and I wouldn't be so jealous!

BD: I used a 2" by 12" by 3' Redwood board for this last one. I picked it up in Cali after the last Tiki Oasis; that's how long it's been sitting around waiting to be carved!

LLT: If I could carve like you paint... wow. I'd be set for life!

Thanks Again!

S

Right on Lee looking good.

Aloha Again!

Well, I just got my piece done for the current Tiki Art Swap, and realised there's a lot of stuff I did for this year's Oasis that I never posted. I didn't get to go to Oasis, so it's mostly all going to the shop to collect dust and not be sold like the rest of the stuff I have there.

Here's the Frankie's Menu inspired art for the swap:

It's a redwood plank and measures 18" by 12".

Here's a shelving unit I made specifically for all 8 of the mugs that you get a Frankie's. I haven't gotten the last two yet, so two classics had to fill in for the photos!

All three sides are carved!

Here's how it looks in the grand scheme of things in my Tiki Room:

This next one is about 4' tall. I didn't get any good shots of it before I took it to the shop. I'll have to take my tripod down there and photograph it properly.

I also made two "Jungle Rot" tikis that are down at the shop. I'll take a few shots and get 'em up here soon.

Mahaloz!

H
Heath posted on Sun, Sep 6, 2009 9:00 AM

Great carves Lee!

Way kool stuff Lee,the mug shelf is fantastic!
Cheers Watango

TL

Mahaloz for the compliments!

Here's the other pictures of the other two that I made for Oasis that didn't get there. They are both part of my "Jungle Rot" series. That's about all Vegas Palm is good for.

This Squatty Guy sold today after I took this picture!

And finally, here's the big 4-footer all varnished up and hanging on the wall with all of his brothers and sisters; waiting for someone to come and give him a new home...

Mahaloz Plenny!

B

Hey T Lee, Cool stuff, it's Nice to see you posting your works again, Really Love that "Jungle Rot" series. Now don't forget those Other photos that you are going to take!

S

Looking good tiki lee, love the pad full of cool art works.

TL

Thanks Again, Seeks!

Benz, thanks for liking, or pretending to like, the Jungle Rot series. :wink:
Those latest picture ARE the "other ones" I promised to post, by the way. Did I forget something I told ya that I was gonna post?

B

OK, I thought you had a whole herd of tikis hidden from us you were gonna take photos of and post. Dreaming I guess? :lol: Just trying to get you back carving more stuff!

Tiki Lee, You've got some cool carves goin on here. Keep slayin the wood it's Great for the heart and mind!!! Keep it up, Aloha, Mooney

I just wanted to post a better shot of the big 4 footer with proper lighting at home since the lighting in the above photo at my shop isn't the perty-est!

He's up for sale on eBay right now. I hope he sells!

Lee, I love what you do, the styles you choose to create are good choices and go well with a particular flavor of vintage.
Yea "jungle Rot" series . very cool. I want one please.
Dawn

Wow...
it's been over three YEARS since I've carved anything, and even longer since I've carved palm!
Today, I got the overwhelming urge to start wackin' away at a little two footer....

Feels good to be at it again.

Good for you Lee! I know that keeping my hands busy is good therapy for me and probably good for you too. No progress pics?

Go Lee Go

Well, it's not exactly what I had in mind, but for going dry for three years or so, I guess it's not too bad...

Mahaloz!

H
Heath posted on Sun, Mar 25, 2012 9:11 PM

Looks good Lee!

Pages: 1 2 53 replies