Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Dyno TabooTiki Kruiser Bike Info

Pages: 1 10 replies

So I was talking to this guy doing some work at my jobsite and was showing him some pictures of my tiki carvings and he says to me he has this tiki inspired bike he bought at his brothers defunct bike shop that has been stored in his attic since brand new and only ridden a couple of times around the block. My curiosity arouse having heard of the Dyno bike by Von Franco. His description of the bike sounded cool. I had never seen one in person, only read about them in the Tiki Magazine article on Von Franco. Now, I know who Von Franco is, having met him briefly at some hotrod shows in Vegas. Once he brought it out the jobsite for me to see I had to have it. It's mint. I love it. Now the only problem is that I don't want to ride it cause I don't want it to get screwed up. Looks good just sittin' in the living room.(I'm single). My question is this. When was it made and how much were they new and what are they worth today? Any thoughts

[ Edited by: Tucson Tiki 2008-06-26 16:38 ]

Don't know when it was made but I bought mine about 4 years ago. You should ride it. I get a lot of compliments from strangers as I'm riding mine. "That's a cool bike". I paid too much, between 3 and 4 hundred, can't remember but it doesn't matter if you want it bad.

It was made by Dyno, a division of GT bicycles(http://www.gtbicycles.com/). I believe it was made in 2003, but could be wrong. And if I recall correctly(all off of my bad memory,lol) the original price was right around $300 or slightly under. Now I've seen them list on the secondary market for around 400/500...I almost bought one when the bike stores had them in stock, but I flaked out. Now I've been kicking myself....

I worked in a bike shop back in Australia and sold them new in 2002-2003 i think, i have the Dyno catalogue/calenders for those years and they were featured..
The Aussie Dollar was pretty weak agaist the US$ at the time so they were around $400-$500 new in Oz and are worth around that now, if you can find one!... good score...

I bought mine in Oz, paid $500AUS, it was the last one left and I had to have it.
Which shop did you work in TikiTrav?
It was hell to pay in excess, 1 Bike and 4 surfboards on top of our normal luggage.
Cool Bike, go out and ride it, thats what it's meant for.
Just try not to use the front Brake if you want to keep it looking mint as it will wear the paint work on the front rim.

I worked at Rod Martin Cycles, on the Central Coast in New South Wales, just north of Sydney... That would be funny if you bought it from there!!! Here's a link to pics of mine..

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=26319&forum=18&start=30

Also was featured in an Australian magazine called "Freestyle" it's the current issue..

I just saw this on craigslist today.... not sure if it is sold or not.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/bik/730736737.html

The bike came out in 2002 and sold for around $400.00. It was one of the more expensive dynos because of the extra geegaws like the flashing tiki light on the front fender.

TT

On 2008-06-27 23:29, cheekytiki wrote:
Just try not to use the front Brake if you want to keep it looking mint as it will wear the paint work on the front rim.

I removed the front brake... the front brake is defunct on a beach cruiser anyway..

I fell in love with this bike last year and purchased a brand new one (still in the box) off of eBay...paid to much, but I wanted one to hang off the ceiling in my Tiki lounge. Mine has only been ridden around my living room by my handyman prior to hanging it above the fridge.

I would have saved the box it came in but it was pretty beat up and not worth keeping. I think I still have the original assembly instructions though.

The color and style is just awesome. :tiki:

TT

well...errrrr....hung...
I..ummm...mounted.. mine to the wall, which looked great, sat nicely with one pedal removed which also discourages anyone wanting to take it for a spin..

Pages: 1 10 replies