Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Hot Rod Hula Hop 4 tickets on sale NOW!!!!

Pages: 1 2 62 replies

The time is drawing near.. the ships are setting sail, and the wahines wave goodbye as we all make the journey back to the Island of the Car Gods…

The low rumble of the volcano is replaced by the growl of ancient engines.. it can only mean one thing!

It is time for Hot Rod Hula Hop 4!

The one, the only, and the original.. midwest mash up of tiki bars and hot rod cars!

The infamous greaser's luau returns for its fourth year, and you do not want to miss it!

The Fraternal Order of Moai and the Headhunters cc have skirted the unexplored corners of the globe in search of the savage.. the unusual.. the tropical tiki sights and sounds your mainland soul has been calling out for..

..and now it will be unleashed!

AUGUST 8th and 9th in sunny and tropical Columbus Ohio

Hot Rod Hula Hop 4

Friday Night

"The Feast of the Tiki Gods"

Live performances by:

The winners of the Hawaiian Music Awards Exotica category.. Masters of the birdcall and Princes of Okonkuluku… the fabulous Waitiki!

…playing all of your classic favorites like no one else can.. direct from Hawaii, the voice of the islands... the great Francis Llacuna!

…flying in on his Witco jet, the poet laureate of Polypop.. the alii of all that is aloha.. the voice that makes the wahines swoon and the fellas take up the ukulele.. the incomparable Pablus!

…her hips and hands are insured for well over a million dollars, but her moves are beyond priceless.. her Hawaiian ancestry shows as she dances the same traditional hulas as her grandmother did before her.. the spell binding Leilani!

Plus.. a kalua pig roast, full Polynesian buffet dinner, and all the classic mai tais you could wish for... with fresh mint of course! And this year we are proud to have on hand for sale Trader Vic’s own mai tai glasses to serve his famous cocktail in. Be sure to pick one up as a souvenir, and refill it all weekend long! At a mere $5 a mai tai, how can you say no?

Saturday Night

"The Octane Ritual"

Our reputation for putting on what is simply the weirdest and best show of the summer has been steadily growing by word of mouth. From the soulful sounds of tradewind breezes, to crashing waves of melodic surf, to the raucous rhythms of pure adrenaline, we always seek out the best of both tiki and kustom culture just for you. Explore the boundaries of your musical tastes as we take you on a wild ride… like a trip from the sunny beach back to a beer soaked punk after party. Don’t be surprised if you find yourself with a Blue Hawaiian in one hand, and a raised can of American beer in the other!

Live on stage that night:

The Koffin Kats

The Cocktail Preachers

Waitiki

Go! Tsunami

The Heptanes

And of course.. this show would simply not be the same without the amazing performances by the talented ladies of Barnyard Burlesque!

And… returning champions of the turntable.. DJ Jet Sterling and his pals from The Surfabilly Freakout!

And of course we'll have a lot full of the hottest hot rods and customs!

Not to mention... Tiki gods, tropical drinks, food by the FOM chef (featuring menu items from Trader Vic’s and the Kahiki!), vintage and tiki vendors, artists, and all the PBR and heat you can stand!

Grab advance tickets now at http://www.hotrodhulahop.com

And yes, we know they are cheap. Nobody does a show like this for so little.

We do suggest buying advance tickets to ensure you get to see this show. We do expect Friday to sell out especially fast. It always does, and this year it is bigger than ever. Many people missed out last year, do not be one of them!

Sponsored by our pals at Kahiki Foods, Trader Vic's, DaddyKatz.com, Tiki Magazine, Bachelor Pad Magazine, and Surfabilly Freakout.. big mahalo to all of them for the help!

And for the rodders who bring their cars, we have goodie bags for you provided by Jegs, Speedway Motors, Hoosier Racing Tires, & Edelbrock! Again we say mahalo!

We are still booking select vendors. Space will become very limited as we get closer. You want to ensure you get a super cheap space to sell some goods this year?

Send a message to: [email protected] and title it "HRHH4 vending"

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

[ Edited by: Jeff Central 2008-06-27 10:52 ]

K
Kahu posted on Fri, Jun 27, 2008 4:09 PM

Awesome!

S

Don't forget the TV Mystery Drink served up in authentic TV bowls!

We've got lots of awesome raffle items coming as well, that are yours for the winning...mugs, tiki crafts, jewelry, and more is being donated every day.

Check out our MySpace page: http://www.myspace.com/hotrodhulahop in addition to the website Jeff posted.

Oh yeah! Gotta go!

and there will be pie

C

On 2008-06-29 19:08, Johnny Dollar wrote:
and there will be pie

Oh yeah, with the FOM, that's a given :)

Hey folks, don't let the name fool you, this is a full on tiki event!Just think of all the great Kahiki stuff just laying around in the local thrift stores and junk shops waiting to be rescued, so get yer butts to Columbus. Don't make me come after you....

K
Kahu posted on Thu, Jul 10, 2008 4:57 PM

Less than 29 days to the best midwest tiki event going on!

K

By request, images of the HRHH4 mug being produced by Poptiki:

Limited edition of 100, available at the event only. We wanted a mug this year that looked like a classic, and Pop did not disappoint. I am very excited to see one in person.

We also have a huge assortment of incredible items in this years silent auction and raffle. It really is going to be a sight to see when all of it is set out for viewing.

In addition to that, Trader Vic's has sent us 2 cases of their mai tai glasses that we are going to offer for only $5 each so that everyone has the option of drinking their Vic mai tais in the classic glass during the event. Given that we are selling them cheaper than retail, and that the mai tais will be only $5 as well, I suspect that they will go fast.

And yes, we will have fresh mint like always.

Ahu

B

w00t!!!

that is a beautiful mug...is that 100 total or 100 of each glaze?

C

On 2008-07-11 14:47, hala bullhiki wrote:
that is a beautiful mug...is that 100 total or 100 of each glaze?

100 total - a short run on a GREAT mug!!!!

T

BFN!

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2012-07-10 13:00 ]

Andy and I are so there!

We've got a pretty strong showing of Florida Ohana going to this event, we hope to see even more when the show starts!

HRHH4 Room Crawl too. Don't forget all the official unofficial fun at the Red Roof Inn Room Crawl.

W

That mug looks delicious! Anyone who hasn't purchased tickets is crazy.

Ok, we're excited about this because from our vantage up along the shores of Lake Erie we didn't think there was much of a tiki pulse in Ohio. But at the Hukilau someone tried (unsuccessfully, it was late and chaotic) to introduce us to what he said were "a ton" of Ohio people, and a few other people told us that there were a lot of Columbus folks around ...

I know it's short notice but we'll be in Columbus this week -- like, tomorrow. We'd been hoping to visit the Tropical Bistro, but see that we're a few months behind the curse of the Kahiki.

Is there a good place to get a Mai Tai? And anyone care to join us?

That's a great listing of bands. I do like The Koffin Kats & The Cocktail Preachers. Plus, the pics of the previous show looks fun!

T

Can't come out tonight.
How long will you be here?
Try to go to The Windward Passage.
It's on Henderson road in Upper Arlington.
No Mai Tais but good cheap food.

K

Friday tickets are nearly gone! Less than 20 left.. this is an earlier sell out than we have ever seen, so if you plan to join us, you will want to grab them NOW!

Last year there were 30 people on the waiting list in case of "no shows". That was with a week to go. This year we will have the waiting list started this week most likely.

So if you plan on seeing Pablus, Francis, Waitiki, Vegas 66, and Leilani...

You'd better do the prepay thing today!

Aloha,

Ahu

On 2008-07-14 15:33, tikiskip wrote:
Can't come out tonight.
How long will you be here?
Try to go to The Windward Passage.
It's on Henderson road in Upper Arlington.
No Mai Tais but good cheap food.

Thanks for the tip! We'll be out just a few days, but plan to be back for HRHH next month -- better see about those tickets!

If you were thinking that you could wait a couple more days for your tickets...... don't!

There aren't many tickets left for Friday, and Saturday night is sure to sell out very soon.

And, if that wasn't enough to get you going......

http://www.daytondailynews.com/l/content/oh/story/living/2008/07/15/ddn071508tiki.html

Word is out, people will be buying tickets, you now have to compete for tickets with the world.

Did I mention that you should buy your tickets now and not later?

C

On 2008-07-11 05:48, KuKuAhu wrote:

We also have a huge assortment of incredible items in this years silent auction and raffle. It really is going to be a sight to see when all of it is set out for viewing.

Yes, indeed!! Ahu is spot-on about the incredible list of stuff we've got for the Silent auction this year!

We've got some awesome donations, including some one of a kind, limited edition swag that is hard to to come by!!

Some of our donors are TC artisans with some really great stuff, including.... Ken Ruzic, ThorStore, Velvet Glass, Velveteen Lounge, Poptiki, tikiwinebear, Lake Surfer, Squid & Tiki Farm - just to name a few!

If you're coming to the Hop (and we hope you are!), bring some extra cash to take home some very cool new tiki wares!!!!!

Looking forward to my first Hot Rod Hula Hop!

A new set up for me and some great new items for sale!

See you in Ohio!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2008-07-16 23:31 ]

C

Here's this year's Fabulous promo poster - for your viewing pleasure.....

The FEAST OF THE TIKI GODS is now SOLD OUT!!!!!!!!

There are still tickets available for the Saturday event but they are selling FAST!!!!

http://www.hotrodhulahop.com

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

[ Edited by: Jeff Central 2008-07-18 09:31 ]

Cool poster! Belongs into Selector Lopaka's Tiki Rock poster gallery!

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=9232&forum=11&start=45

K

Big thanks to our pal Big D at FNHarsh for this years poster! His work is incredible.. and he will be vending!

http://fnharsh.com/

Collection of posters here:

http://www.gigposters.com/designers.php?designer=7354

I am so very grateful to all of the artists involved this year, the images and products are nothing short of amazing! Poptiki's mug done to look like it came out of a long gone obscure tiki bar, the fliers and ads by Senpai Lee, the website by Skully, and the poster by Bid D...

Whew! All of it is spot on and far cooler than I could have expected.

The shirt art for this year is likely gonna be from me... I am not sure I can hang with these guys! Maybe I'll ask D if we can use the poster art for the shirt.

Anyway, Saturday tickets are close to sold out now. We normally do not close the doors for Saturday, but if they keep going at the rate they went this past weekend, we may need to consider it. Crowded is one thing, but packed is another. I want everybody to be able to see the bands.. if it keeps selling like this, we might have to cut it off to keep it comfortable.

Join us, won't you?

Ahu

ok!

P

Don't forget that Saturday, Aug. 9th is ITD©TikiBong.

Always a good day to jam around a swimming pool filled with mai tais.
Or a fountain filled with scorpions.
Or a glass filled with nui nuis.

K
Kahu posted on Fri, Jul 25, 2008 7:59 AM

14 days and counting down!

Cannot wait to hear Pablus play again.

Cannot wait!

S

Heads up Ohio Ohana, OakTiki and I are in for both days!

And we'll be bringing some very special surprise guests both days. Sounds like there are going to be a number of us in from the MD/DC/VA area as well.

Counting the minutes... .

Can't wait!

I can't wait to see you all there! My first Tiki Event, in my home state of OHIO!!! Yeah...

S

Sounds like everyone just met one of my "very special surprise guests."

Buckeye Bern Tiki is my 'little' brother.

He can talk story about growing up with the Kahiki too!

On 2008-07-28 18:26, Sabina wrote:
Heads up Ohio Ohana, OakTiki and I are in for both days!

And we'll be bringing some very special surprise guests both days. Sounds like there are going to be a number of us in from the MD/DC/VA area as well.

Counting the minutes... .

Can't wait!

That is AWESOME Sabina!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

I knew you couldn't stay away from your Ohio Ohana for very long!!

This promises to be one hell of a party!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

S

Heck, in some alternate universe I'm still an Ohioan, and the Kahiki still exists, and, and, and... .

Still feels like going 'home' every time I head back, so much more so for having Ohio Ohana that is so welcoming! You folks throw ASTOUNDINGLY excellent get togethers and events! You're fabulous hosts!

Strikes me as the perfect 'first event' for some of my Ohana to experience.

This sounds like just the place to be on Saturday!!! I can't wait!!! 6 Days, but I am not counting or anything. Just noticing....Looking forward to seeing you Sabina, and OakTiki!!!!!

So is the "mini" Buckeye Tiki - who doesn't realize that she is being called that...

The first lady of Buckeye Bern Tiki is unaware of the inevitable, the exciting, the fun, the elusive First Tiki Event as well. I will try to introduce them into the land of "The Lounge of the Seven Pleasures" before meeting up with you this weekend. Keep in Touch...

Look at what I found....

T

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2012-07-10 13:17 ]

S
Sabina posted on Sun, Aug 3, 2008 4:38 PM

Yup, Buckeye Bern Tiki and his "mini" (who needs her own Tiki name!) have been to the Lounge of the Seven Pleasures. But he left out my favourite of those pix, it's a little dark and moody, but it certainly captured the moment- my bro and his Trader Vic's rum barrel-

It may have had two straws, but I'm pretty certain BBT took care of most it himself.

T

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2012-07-10 13:18 ]

T

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2012-07-10 13:19 ]

T

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2012-07-10 13:21 ]

T

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2012-07-10 13:21 ]

C
croe67 posted on Wed, Aug 6, 2008 7:56 PM

t.skip, are you kidding?? Even though I drove to C-bus....I think I may have some boxes to ship home - AWESOME lights!!

S

Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

Is it now? What about now? Is it now YET?!?

Tick, ...tick, ...tick!

Tikiskip, those are fantastic! Can't wait to see 'em in person!

Won't be long now!

T

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2012-07-10 13:19 ]

Wow. This event was nuts! How am I going to recover for Oasis in a few days?

Yooowwwza - what a great time! Thanks to everyone who donated their efforts and spirit to this year's event. Great memories - and already looking forward to doing it again in '09!

...and yes, recovery may take a while

Pages: 1 2 62 replies