Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Mermaids & Mai-Kai returns Jan. 23

Pages: 1 41 replies

Join us for our "inaugural" 2009 happy hour bash and celebrate a brighter future for all (including, hopefully, The Wreck Bar). Click to the end of this thread for more details.

Original post:

We know, it's only been a few weeks but we're already getting a mermaid/Mai-Kai/rockabilly jones, so why not just do it? Return to the scene of the crime (Fort Lauderdale) for the first Mermaids & Mai-Kai gathering!

On Friday, July 11, at 5 p.m. we meet at The Wreck Bar at The Yankee Clipper on Fort Lauderdale beach for happy hour (cheap drinks and appetizers) and the mermaid show at 5:30.

Then, around 6, it's off to the Mai-Kai for more happy hour (one 2-4-1 drink and half-priced appetizers until 7) and live rockabilly from Slip & the Spinouts (you may have caught them at The Wreck Bar during Hukilau). If that's not enough, it's Ladies Night all night.

One disclaimer: Marina (the official mermaid of The Wreck Bar) won't be joining us on July 11 but she assures me that her able protege, Kami, will put on a great show. And Marina hopes to join us for our August gathering.

Hopefully we can make this a monthly tradition, as long as the mermaids keep swimming and the Mai-Kai keeps rocking on Friday nights. Aloha!

[ Edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2008-07-09 21:13 ]

[ Edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2008-09-01 12:34 ]

[ Edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2008-09-17 02:03 ]

[ Edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2008-09-29 20:41 ]

[ Edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2008-11-07 00:30 ]

[ Edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2009-01-08 00:03 ]

Excellent! However I will be heading out of town that night. I hope to be there for August!

Having missed the Hukilau this year, missing this reunion, so soon afterward, is all the more melancholy. I hope you all will take pity on us who are cursed by distance, and take lots of pics, perhaps even some video. This way, we can sort of get our vicarious attendance thing on. It's great to know that this great establishment is not being taken for granted by the locals. Thanks!

Aloha everyone! You'll find me right by Hurricane Hayward's side to welcome you to our first "Mermaids and the Mai Kai" evening.

Join us for a night of master mixology, mind-blowing merriment & many magnificent moments.

Mahalo!

K

Can't make it in July, hope to see ya in August!
Have a 2fer for me...
:drink:
K.

For those of you planning on visiting the Wreck Bar to see Kami swim, may I suggest you take advantage of the Valet Service.... You may not make it to the Mai-Kai in time to catch Happy Hour otherwise.

A couple updates:

• We're comfirming our next gathering for Friday, Aug. 8. Slip & the Spinouts will be back at the Mai-Kai and Marina will be swimming at The Wreck Bar.

Whoever can't make it this Friday we hope to see you in August! Spread the word.

[ Edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2008-07-10 11:28 ]

One more reason to attend the Aug. 8 party: That night is also Tiki Kiliki's going away dinner at the Mai-Kai. She's leaving us for San Antonio and we want to make sure she gets a proper send-off.

For more info, check out the thread on that event:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=29220&forum=4&0

Some photos of the Aug. 8 bash can be found below and at the thread above.

The September date will be announced soon.

Looking forward to another fun evening, can't wait...

B

I'm In!

O

Ok... OK... quit twisting my arm already...

I'll be there.

pronounced: oh-tee khe-nee kho

[ Edited by: otikiniko 2008-09-08 08:43 ]

G

Well, bummer. Looks like I'm going to miss you all by one day. I'll be at the Mai-Kai (with family) this Saturday (9-13). If any of you wants to make it a double feature at the Mai-Kai, join us during happy hour Saturday!

On 2008-09-08 08:41, otikiniko wrote:
Ok... OK... quit twisting my arm already...

If I'm done teachin' early enough Saturday I'll attempt to make it a "Twofer" so'z I can see your smilin' mug!

...then I'll go paint!!

As luck would have it hurricane Ike foiled my plans to fly home from florida today, after a short business trip and I am stuck in FL for the evening...oh well, i guess i'll be dropping by for a 2for1 jet pilot!

I wish Mr. Smiley was here with me...

Thanks to everyone who turned up for "Episode 3" at the Mai-Kai ... it was a rousing good time.

The group shot by our lovely server Sheena ...

Loki and Otikiniko set the tone for the evening ...

Kauai-Kelley welcomes special guest Bohemiann, who brought some exciting Mai-Kai related news (as well as a stylish pad on wheels) ...

Chip & Andy with Loki ...

Newbie Deb (left) is indoctrinated by Kauai-Kelley

Mai-Kai General Manager Kern Mattei drops by to say "mahalo" ...

A smoldering Torchy Taboo ...

This night calls for a Sidewinder's Fang (Hurricane Hayward, Kauai-Kelley and Deb) ...

And of course, we were privileged to hang with "the man", Mai-Kai owner Dave Levy ...

Stay tuned for details on Episode Four in October ...

H. Hayward,

Thanks again for organizing an excuse to come over! Great to see you, K. Kelley and the Gumbo Limbo It will be a monthly pilgrimage for me. Hopefully the Camper will not look so "Ghetto" the next time. The exterior looks like that middle stage of beard growth. After some good advice from chip the restoration paint job will be true to the original 1966 version with a little Polynesian flair. With over 8 coats of various types of paint it is taking awhile to strip down. It will be awhile before I venture out with it again with gas prices so high. I literally watched my gas gage dropping.

I will post a few pictures soon but did not take many. The Black Magics.....distracted me.

[ Edited by: Bohemiann 2008-09-17 05:58 ]

Mermaids & Mai-Kai: Oct. 24th

Ahhh, Sorry guys. I will be in NY on Biz but if I get to Otto's I will raise a mug in your direction.

I am a man of my word, although it was a Pangs Punch!

Had to get their new Branded Mug to commemorate the evening.

Thanks to LiesureMaster and Nicole for being sports and joining us last minute, injured even! Otto's is everything we remembered plus a new layer of.....whatever that stuff is. Missed Nell, but we will catch her the next time when we have more solid plans and can warn folks we are coming.

When is the next one, I am starting to have Black Magic withdrawals! I need to get down and take some pictures of a few specific things down there so....

Hey, when is the Wreck official getting wrecked? I didn't miss it did I? Perhaps we should do something, chain ourselves to the bar, protest, sacrifice a small animal....or just a cocktail if you are offended by my un-PC pagan brutality, or at least a last gathering cocktail and swim in the pool, some shannanigans and then we overpower them and loot the place!

[ Edited by: Bohemiann 2008-10-26 03:26 ]

B

HELLOOOOOOOOOO ??

where is everyone? wake up Ft. Lauderdale, I'm coming down tomorrow!

sorry for the late notice, life has been very chaotic. I have to go down to take care of some business and take a few pictures no matter what. It would be great to see everyone but don't feel bad if you can't make it, I understand that everyone was just there for Halloween and this is last minute.

Hope some folks can make it but honestly I can have a blast if it's just me and the Molokai girls!

When is the next one, I am starting to have Black Magic withdrawals! I need to get down and take some pictures of a few specific things down there so....

Hey, when is the Wreck official getting wrecked? I didn't miss it did I? Perhaps we should do something, chain ourselves to the bar, protest, sacrifice a small animal....or just a cocktail if you are offended by my un-PC pagan brutality, or at least a last gathering cocktail and swim in the pool, some shannanigans and then we overpower them and loot the place!

It will either be Nov. 21 or Nov. 28. We hope to figure that out soon.

I'm very anxious about the Wreck Bar as well. We'll have to grill the bartender - or Marina - the next time we're there. Oh no, grilled mermaid. That doesn't sound good at all.

FYI, 2009 Hukilau announcement is coming soon. Look for a special surprise headlining band this year.

Aloha!

Give me shout later in the afternoon and I will let you know if I can make it. I have to get a Hall Pass.

T
Toshi posted on Mon, Nov 10, 2008 7:34 PM

I just moved to Fort Lauderdale right around the corner to the Mai Kai, I'd like to get a drink and talk sum tiki.

On 2008-11-10 19:34, Toshi wrote:
I just moved to Fort Lauderdale right around the corner to the Mai Kai, I'd like to get a drink and talk sum tiki.

You lucky dog. It's a 60-mile trek for me. I'm sure you'll find the daily happy hour the most economical way to ingratiate yourself.

Feel free to come over on the 21st and introduce yourself. We'll be the looneys in the back of The Molokai.

I will not be able to make it down the 21st but will raise a mug in your direction.

Marina has a special mermaid show lined up for us on Friday so don't miss this opportunity while The Wreck Bar still lives in its current vintage state.

It will be a "new mermaid debut" with a new recruit joining Marina and Kami in the pool. That's right, a three-mermaid show! Marina says it will be a "training/orientation swim" for the newbie while she and Kami'lani will do their normal show. After her initial swim, if all goes well, she will then be "dubbed a mermaid" and given her new fishly name.

Not sure what happens if it does not go well, but it will be fun to watch. Marina says: "She's really exited - and so are we!"

There's no telling how much longer the mermaid shows will continue. The Yankee Clipper is scheduled to undergo an extensive renovation soon and rumors have it that there will be an entirely new interior design, including an overhaul of the iconic mid-century lounge.

We hope that by showing our support for Marina and the historic nature of this establishment, we can influence ownership and management to at least consider keeping it intact. Check out the mermaids every Friday during happy hour. For more info on Marina, go to her sites:
http://www.medusirena.com
http://www.myspace.com/medusirena

A new thread has been posted on the future of The Wreck Bar. Check here for more information and updates:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=30484&forum=1&start=last&0

T
Toshi posted on Wed, Nov 19, 2008 7:01 PM

Darn I have to do an art walk this Friday, I'll try to make it next month, I'll get down to the Wreck bar and check out the mermaid show maybe next week and give the manager an earfull.

We're happy to report that The Wreck Bar has been named "Best Happy Hour" and Marina the "Best Mermaid" in the "Best of 2008" issue of City Link magazine and Metromix.com ...

http://southflorida.metromix.com/events/photogallery/best-of-entertainment/796160/content?photo=2

http://southflorida.metromix.com/home/photogallery/best-of-people/795378/content?photo=3

Well, we all knew that Marina is an awesome person.....er Mermaid, Its appropriate that the "Mix" is recognizing it. I'll be on the look-out for that calendar!

Hopefully the press will help efforts to fill seats and sell drinks so the "Powers that be" will see the value in keeping the Wreck. Time would certainly treat their wisdom and vision kindly if this landmark were preserved.

As for the "Best Place to ride out a Hurricane" category....... I think we all know better, eh?

My inner smart-ass must comment on the "Best Tiki Bar" category.

The picture illustrating this "Slice of the South Pacific" has a black dress clad young lady pouring a glass of red wine. priceless.

• Add a few distractingly gorgeous bartenders and a near-perfect rumrunner and Bamboo Beach becomes the perfect place to wile away a weekend afternoon.*

I am always up for distractions and agreeable to "wile-ing" so I might stop by the beach someday for an average....I mean near, but not quite, perfect rumrunner, but I prefer weekdays when the crowds are thinner.

Keep the torches burning Hayward!

[ Edited by: Bohemiann 2008-11-30 05:58 ]

"Best Tiki Bar" - you have to remember that this is a typical "Florida" Tiki bar. Basically a large thatch hut with a bar. I will give them props, because the place does have some character. It is an excellent "Beach" bar! Located right on the beach with a large pool and the drinks are not weak. Not TIKI!!!

Due to the holidays and other scheduling conflicts, we're taking the month of December off but hope to return in January with a special Mermaids & Mai-Kai event.

The Wreck Bar, feared to be facing the wrecking ball as part of an upcoming renovation of The Yankee Clipper, may be saved after all!

Check this thread for updates:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=30484&forum=1&start=last&8

And join us Jan. 23 for the next Mermaids & Mai-Kai happy hour to toast this local landmark.

Attendance was a little slim at our first 2009 happy hour:

Actually, those are exclusive photos of the Mai-Kai's brand new chairs and bar stools, installed just before our Jan. 23 get-together. See more photos of the ongoing renovations here:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=30482&forum=1&start=30

But we are a little disappointed at the turnout lately. So now that the Mai-Kai restoration is in full swing, you've got no excuse to miss our next gathering. Check back for details soon.

T

So is the Wreck Bar still open for business? I'll be in town Feb 8th and had hoped to check it out, but heard all the rumors of "renovations".

The Mai Kai is OPEN!!!

G

On 2009-01-29 10:09, AlohaStation wrote:
The Mai Kai is OPEN!!!

Tom, 3power said Wreck Bar, not Molokai bar. Different place. :wink: The Mai-Kai is open EVERY day, say amen.

Mai-Kai is open during renovations.

Wreck Bar is currently open, not sure if or when it will be closed as work on the hotel continues.

Port Corche is done and looks fabulous, has the canoe back in its proper place, most of the lamps hung, and of course the smiling faces of your valets.

The outside seating is being worked on currently, the wood flooring is being replaced and some of the bacbac and bamboo on the walls is also being fixed/repaired/replaced.

The Molokai is just about complete, the back dining rooms are just about complete and the new chairs look spectacular.

And, this is still just talk so nothing official yet, but the old chairs and barstools may be sold auction style..... still just talk so don't hold me to it or ask for dates and prices.

G

On 2009-02-01 12:42, Chip and Andy wrote:
Port Corche is done and looks fabulous, has the canoe back in its proper place, most of the lamps hung, and of course the smiling faces of your valets.

Don't be a tease. Show us some pictures!!

Re The Wreck Bar, which will be undergoing a completely different renovation (we fear) than the excellent restoration of The Mai-Kai and Molokai bar, it's indeed still open as the Yankee Clipper overhaul has not yet begun. So please show your support for Marina and the other mermaids while you still can.

Here's some news: This month we must unfortunately skip our usual Wreck Bar gathering but for a very good reason (drum roll please) ...

Those surf-rockin' simians from the Space Coast, The Disasternauts, will be making a rare appearance at The Molokai at The Mai-Kai on Friday, Feb. 27!

So we plan to make that evening a full-blown Mai-Kai party with perhaps a "Hukilau kickoff" theme. Come check out all the amazing renovations and get your monkey on.

More details to come.

Here's the thread with more info and the cool flier for The Disasternauts at The Mai-Kai ...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=31250&forum=4&hilite=mai-kai

Pages: 1 41 replies