Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Living Room Polynesian Transformation Complete (lots of pics)

Pages: 1 2 replies

After having so much fun building our outdoor Tiki Bar, we decided we would 'tikify' the entire house.

We finished the Dining room about 2 years ago.

Next up is the living room which was done over 2 years in 6 steps. Some of the steps over lapped. Since this is our main living space we wanted to make it tiki, but keep an elegance to it, so we had to be careful not to cross the 'tacky tiki' line.

Enjoy!

Step 1: French Doors.

After moving the fish tank in front of the dining room sliding glass doors we had no direct access to the backyard/boat dock. So the main living room window need to be converted to doors.

Step 2: Home Theater

This was my favorite step. 46' Sony Bravida LCD TV. Sony 5.1 surround system with 5 in-wall speaker craft speakers. All the media components are down the hall in the former linen closet.

Step 3: Wall Paper

We went with a real seagrass wallpaper. We were not home when it was installed so there are no in progress pictures. Here is a before shot and then a close up including a Crazy Al wall switch cover.

Step 4: Custom Bookcases

These were built in Gainesville by my Father-in-law. The door inserts are from the left over wallpaper and the door pulls are from Crazy Al.

Step 5: Thatching the ceiling

We used the same method we used in the dining room. 4 x 8 sheet of polythem and matting from Franks supply. Dap contact cement to hold it all together. The seems are covered with pine 1" x 2" stained tobacco road.

Step 6: Art Work

The finishing touch, except for the perfect ceiling fan we are still trying to locate.

Our art collection contains:

4 Flounder Art signed and numbered prints from flounderart.com
2 Thor signed and numbered prints from the Thor store in Honolulu Hawaii
2 Richie Fahey prints from Hukilau 2008
2 signed and number Doug Horne prints from swampfire.com
2 Donella Vitale prints from Hukilau 2008
1 Original J. Tingler from Hukilau 2008
1 Mitch O'Connel signed and numbered print cover of Tiki Magazine Vol 3 #1
1 Poster from Volcanoes National Park in Hawaii
The Official Poster from Hukilau 2008

Mesh of Entire Room:

Next up is the office which is going to have a more overloaded tiki room look, puffer lamps, glass floats, mugs, idols, etc.

Mohoe Lana Tiki Bar

[ Edited by: 420greg 2008-07-04 05:33 ]

My wife just pointed out that I forgot to show the new drapes, so I guess there are more pictures to come.

Holy Puffer Fish!!! Your whole place is a class act. That aquarium is just brilliant. Wonderful art collection too. ZAZZZZZZ!!!!

Pages: 1 2 replies