Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Weeki Wachee Weekender II! Underwater Boogaloo! 2011

Pages: 1 2 3 130 replies

No using the H word in reference to that weekend. There will not be a hurricane then. I have wanted to go to WW for far too long and just simply won't have it ruined by a storm!
On that note...sending some positive vibes down there to y'all, Chip and Andy...I think this one will be weak and nothing to worry about. Still thinking about y'all though. Stay safe and dry!
See y'all in just over a week!!
Noel

I'm all booked and ready to go! And the lady who took my reservation is from the town next to my hometown in NJ! How endearing!

We are definitely in for the tikis and mermaids! WOW! Awesome! We will have the mini-mermaid with us!

Neptune Wahine

If we live through the hurricane Fay . . . . . .

Try "Hurricane FayKE-OUT", we did not see one drop of rain, not one! schools closed, govt. closed, crazy people lining up at the gas station, buying out the grocery stores, stampeding Home Depot! Bedlam!

So, I prepared as well. Prepared a Hurricane, a MaiTai and a few rum and cokes cuz I just got plum lazy watchin the crazies!

G

We've cleared the calendar and we're in! We may be late arrivals on Friday though cuz the kids are in school til 4:30 and it takes a couple hours to get there. I'll bring some liquid refreshments to share if you're nice to me. :D

Anybody got a portable stereo, boombox, whatever with a line input? I can bring an ipod loaded with plenty of tunes to groove by the pool.

This is shaping up nice. We're going to hang around on Saturday night instead of scooting down to Tarpon Springs. The Neptune's convinced us.
KG

This IS shaping up nice. I can't wait.

Rob, I have the 1960's version of an Ipod. A portable record player and a stack of Hawaiian, Exotica and Surf Lp's. A little 'old school' action poolside.

Andy

How does homemade key lime pie sound?

Andy, always loved vinyl myself too, but the needle always skips when I hit the brakes.

mmm hook me up with some key lime!!! :D

Our hotel room is booked, Laura, Jen, Andy, and I will arrive after we get off of work on Friday and drive over from Orlando, probably arriving around 6:30-7:00pm with traffic. We're unsure if we should bring food or just drinks, if everyone will be eating earlier in the day, C&A just let us know!

See everyone Friday!

-adrian

Do we need to worry about them cancelling the shows or anything due to the water rising as the run-off from upstate flows down that way? Have reservations made, Friday taken off, and planning to bring cheese dip with corn chips along with fruit salad...will pick up some liquor to pitch into the pile while I'm at it. Trevor is supposed to be rounding up some chisels and mallet so he can learn to carve. Hope no one minds him leaning over your shoulder! Can't wait to see the folks I know and to meet some new ones!

hey... room crawl with the mermaids. can't be bad.

On 2008-08-25 18:28, MobileTikiBar wrote:
We're unsure if we should bring food or just drinks, if everyone will be eating earlier in the day, C&A just let us know!

Either.

Both.

Since people will be arriving all day and into the night on Friday, I planned the pot-luck to be about the same.

Andy and I are bringing pulled pork and fixins which we will need to reheat.... we figure the pot-luck will start about 4 ish and go until its gone or people quit eating, whichever comes first.

The bar is under the same plan, guest bartenders will be encouraged to create something from what is available, and the bar is open until it runs out, or till people start to fall out, or the local gentry shut us down.

I will call the Park today and see if there are any weather related concerns for this weekend.

Trev and I are leaving tomorrow to drive halfway so we can be there at a decent hour Friday. I should get a prize for coming the furthest! lol Can't wait to see everyone!! Andy, you got that big hug and drink waiting for me?? Maybe, just maybe, I will bring you a present....
I gotta get out and dig up a piece of this wild cherry tree I cut down for Trev to bring to learn to carve on. Probably a hard wood, but he's gotta take what he can get unless he wants to find his own! lol He's working on finding tools as well.
See y'all in 2 days!

On 2008-08-25 19:55, Johnny Dollar wrote:
hey... room crawl with the mermaids. can't be bad.

When you think about it I guess they would have to crawl, unless we carried them.

T

On 2008-08-27 04:25, Chip and Andy wrote:

On 2008-08-25 18:28, MobileTikiBar wrote:
We're unsure if we should bring food or just drinks, if everyone will be eating earlier in the day, C&A just let us know!

Either.

Both.

Since people will be arriving all day and into the night on Friday, I planned the pot-luck to be about the same.

Andy and I are bringing pulled pork and fixins which we will need to reheat.... we figure the pot-luck will start about 4 ish and go until its gone or people quit eating, whichever comes first.

The bar is under the same plan, guest bartenders will be encouraged to create something from what is available, and the bar is open until it runs out, or till people start to fall out, or the local gentry shut us down.

I will call the Park today and see if there are any weather related concerns for this weekend.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[Weather Concerns] Just this cat name Gustav, who already killed 13+ in Haiti....
Keep one eye on the radar and one on your drink!

On 2008-08-27 13:40, TikiLaLe wrote:
[Weather Concerns] Just this cat name Gustav, who already killed 13+ in Haiti....
Keep one eye on the radar and one on your drink!

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

The current track of the storm shows Gustav to be a concern for everyone in the Gulf, but as of today there is no reason to do anything other than keep an eye open.

And, in honor of Gustav, I may have to make a batch of my Jim Cantore Specials to go on the bar.

No worries about Gustav until Sunday or Monday, and then it will be Louisiana to Mexico that have to worry...I am really hoping it will leave Alabama and Louisiana alone and move on down to somewhere in Mexico!
So this carving deal Friday..what time is it supposed to happen? I have reservations in Tallahassee for tomorrow night, so we will be able to get there early enough Friday to join in all the festivities..assuming I can get Trevor up and moving! He really wants to learn to carve, so maybe that will be his motivation lol

On 2008-08-27 18:21, SouthBamaTiki wrote:
So this carving deal Friday..what time is it supposed to happen?

Afternoon. And we'll carve until there's no more light. Or until someone gets blisters.

We will be getting in early afternoon, and people will be arriving all afternoon and all evening. So nothing on Friday is really time specific, it will be an ever changing on-going party of carving, eating, drinking, and generally having a good time.

HK

What is happening on Saturday evening? I think I'll be able to make the trip with Laura and Mitchell in tow. We won't be able to go to the park, but we'd like to see everyone.

What's the scoop? Will folks be heading back to the hotel to congregate? We'll be at Joe & Savannah's, so we just need to know what time to head over.

Josh

we're going here for sure:

On 2008-08-28 07:24, Haole Kat wrote:
What is happening on Saturday evening? I think I'll be able to make the trip with Laura and Mitchell in tow. We won't be able to go to the park, but we'd like to see everyone.

What's the scoop? Will folks be heading back to the hotel to congregate? We'll be at Joe & Savannah's, so we just need to know what time to head over.

Josh

Saturday the plan is to enjoy the park and the Mermaids, then to terrorize one (or more) of the local eateries for a group dinner and then head back to the hotel to terrorize the pool and whatever is left of the bar.

Call one or more of us when your ready and find out where the group is, or will be.

The tiki gods are not shining in our favor, it looks like we're not going to be able to make it after all. Warm wishes to all who make it, and don't forget to post photos!

-adrian

Sorry to hear about that Mobiletikibars..... I'll drink your share of the cocktails and tell you what you missed :wink:

And, thanks to Andy reading this thread over, she reminded me that I never listed Dinner for Saturday.....

Bayport Inn
4835 Cortez Blvd, Weeki Wachee, FL
352-596-1088

This place is recommended by some of the locals and claims to be a bit of Old Florida. It should make for a fantastic evening following a day of playing with the Mermaids.

Dinner at 7:30.

I know it is a bit on the early side..... but when trying to manage a group like ours you do what you can. Look at it this way, we can get done eating and get back to having a good time faster this way.

Edit- wacky bits from the cut and paste for the phone number

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2008-08-28 19:15 ]

Should I broadcast? probably.

[ Edited by: Bohemiann 2008-08-30 14:34 ]

G

We're going to be heading back after Weeki Wachee on Saturday, so we'll miss the dinner. But we'll get out to the hotel tonight as fast as traffic will allow. Everyone practice their NO Rain Dance!

Awesome Time! too bad I was worn out and slept through Sat. night. Woke up at 3:00 a.m. to "The Sound Of Music" blaring on the TV and a car alarm in the parking lot going off. Will post some pics soon!

[ Edited by: Bohemiann 2008-08-31 20:18 ]

W

Well, let me be the first to say thanks to everyone
& that I had a great time. I made it home safely &
will post pics as they develop.

B

Mahalo Chip & Andy for suggesting / motivating this and for such great hotel and dining choices. Wahine Marian, Bayou Tiki (Laura) and I had a wonderful time visiting with new friends and old. The Friday luau was fabulous, and hanging out and drinking beer (yes, beer) with everyone on the lawn of Buccaneer Bay was groovy. A few of us went south to Tarpon Springs Sunday morning for some antiquing and dining. We stopped by the Tahitian Resort hotel to take a look. If you have never been there, it would be best to plan a visit in the very near future. Not sure how much longer it will last.
Aloha until next time,
KG

We made it home, we got some sleep, we restocked the bar and are having morning cocktails....... The computer just went beep to tell us the pictures are ready to share:

First, we set up the room

Then we set up the Pot Luck Luau

Then proceeded to party like the Rock Stars that we are.

A quick trip across the road to the Park

Bohemian's little girls started singing and dancing "weeki wachee! weeki wachee!" in that way that only little girls can really do. Then, of course, the adults had to join in the singing and dancing.... I don't think the girls knew quite what to make of the situation.

The Famous Pose of the Mermaids, the Rising Adagio

And then a whole bunch more.....
Here is my Flickr Set

And Here is a video of highlights from the trip courtesy of Bohemian. He is working on more video, I'll let him post the next link. (This video it fabulous! Thanks Bill!)

And here is the Flickr Group that should have more and more photos in it as everyone returns home. If you are a Flickr User, please join the group and share your shots!

Oh... they knew what to think!

They are used to this particular tribe of "People of Earth". I keep telling her it's supposed to be a secret that we are actually aliens!

Sorry the video is so dark, I did not have my lights and nobody wanted to be blinded by them anyway.

So we decided the Statue needed a little updating

Thanks for the Nui Nui's GatorRob!

I seriously almost wet myself during the interpretive dance portion of the entertainment!

Had a great time down in WW! Thanks to Chip and Andy for being our "Julie" and planning such a fun event! The hotel was nice, the mermaids, especially the former mermaids, were wonderful, and the springs were beautiful. I vote we canoe/tube down some clear river like that sometime!
Here are a few pics:

G

Big time thanks to C&A for getting us lazy bums out of our comfy homes and out to WW! We had a great time. And thoroughly enjoyed the impromptu gathering by the spring Saturday afternoon before we left.

Since we didn't stay Saturday night, I have two questions: Who got the paddle? And did anyone eat my key lime pie??

we are back.

thanks to all for the unforgettable time...

kitty and dolla

E
e33 posted on Tue, Sep 2, 2008 6:17 AM

Thanks again Chip and Andy for setting things up. Hope we make it an annual trip. Great to meet so many new folks.

Cheers,
Don & LuRu

OK, we missed the Annual part of the plan...... but who really counts like that anyway these days?

How 'bout it?

Anyone want to do it again?

Labor Day would be easy enough, long weekend and all.

Or, The Former Mermaids are performing Aug 14 & 15 and I think everyone agrees they were the highlight of the Mermaid Show.

I'd be up for another trip down there. Loved the last one! Or even some other place like Silver Springs or something. Heck, I'm always up for a road trip, and if I get to see you guys that's just icing on the cake!

We would be up for a road trip. Might be able to bring some other Brevard tiki people along with us.

August is open and unscheduled for us at this point in time....and I've always wanted to see the WW Mermaids!

August is Tiki Oasis month. Any other time period would be great...

It might be fun for those of us who aren't going all the way to San Diego for Tiki Oasis. We can't all be international jet-setting men-of-mystery like TikiMango!

chip, please submit the tiki event paperwork in triplicate to the tiki event review board. they will provide you with verification in four to six weeks pending evaluation of your tiki status. ;D

Can I borrow a stamp?

We have two dates lined up and are working a few angles with the hotel and park. We'll do a formal announcement soon.

I am not going to offer a date of when we are going to offer a date because I tend to enjoy an adult beverage now and again so the timing of the timing is bound to be a bit off.

J

Can we do this event this year?
Please, please, with an umbrella on top?

I have to 2nd Jon's vote....I've lived in Fla for 46 years and I've never been there (D has been in the parking lot though)!

Pages: 1 2 3 130 replies