Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

eBay: Real Edgar Leeteg Velvet on Ebay! ends 7-15

Pages: 1 14 replies

TS

Not my auction, but since its a pretty rare find, Thought I'd throw it up here for people who might be interested.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280243494594

leeteg or not....that is one ghastly piece of art.....must have been an early leeteg...before he learned how to paint!!

T

I don't like the chin

On 2008-07-10 19:17, teaKEY wrote:

I don't like the chin

..there you go ...puttin down chinese people again!!!...shame on you....

TS

Not my taste either, BUT, I figure someone out there is lurking and scratching their heads saying "that aint too shabby"...Or"I don't care what she looks like...It's a Leeteg!"...Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. It is the first Leeteg I ran into this year...How often do they appear on ebay, if anyone watches for them?

A frame change would make all the difference in the world with that piece.

On 2008-07-10 22:09, 1961surf wrote:
A frame change would make all the difference in the world with that piece.

..you can't polish a turd !!..... a frame change would only temporarily distract the viewer from the ugliness within it's boundaries....which still remains regardless of how one chooses to dress it up...i say buy it, and paint over it and start over!! har!

Dave, not all of Leeteg's paintings were works of art.Just like all the women
that he womanized and painted weren't always pretty by todays standards.This
is definitely not one of his better portraits of tahitian women that he has
has painted by any means.I think the jaw line is off too.He was however pretty
accurate on the portraits of his women.You have to just accept it for face value.
He was the godfather and originator of painting polynesian women and other subject
matters on velvet however.Too bad you don't have the book that I have about him and
his life.You would have a better appreciation for his work.I will tell you this,the
latter part of his life he lived in paradise and lived a life we only dream of.
It's really too bad the way he died though .

On 2008-07-11 09:57, 1961surf wrote:
Dave, not all of Leeteg's paintings were works of art.Just like all the women
that he womanized and painted weren't always pretty by todays standards.This
is definitely not one of his better portraits of tahitian women that he has
has painted by any means.I think the jaw line is off too.He was however pretty
accurate on the portraits of his women.You have to just accept it for face value.
He was the godfather and originator of painting polynesian women and other subject
matters on velvet however.Too bad you don't have the book that I have about him and
his life.You would have a better appreciation for his work.I will tell you this,the
latter part of his life he lived in paradise and lived a life we only dream of.
It's really too bad the way he died though .

i think you are being alittle assumptive about me....i know more about leeteg than you may think..i too have the books about him, went to the only opening of his retrospective works years ago in huntington beach, i have the gallery companion book/program from that show as well and have many years of experience and schooling in the arts under my belt to boot!!.....now it may be just my opinion about the piece...but it's an informed opinion none the less and i believe i have paid the required dues to make such commentary...regardless of who agrees with me.

when you are done going for distance, you have to go for acuracy.

I am glad that you are educated in the subject -most people are not.Don't be so defensive
however.You probably know much more then I do.I am not here to question your knowledge,
integrity or make personal attacks on people.I am a admirer and collector like most others
out there.I am fortunate enough that I have found the amount of velvet paintings that I
currently have-which I have posted on another prior thread.

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2008-07-11 13:04 ]

.it's very hot in hell and the heat makes me irritable sometimes...

..no worries.

T

Personally I think the reason the chin looks so pointy is because of the shading on the right cheek. He should have lightened up that area to get rid of the "wicked witch of the west" appearance. There's also a heck of a lot of gumline showing, but that may be accurate to the subject of the painting. And the lack of any highlighting of her body makes it look like a disembodied head floating in an odd location on the "canvas" (felt). But hey, could I do better? Highly doubtful :)

For you future viewers of this thread who are cursing the fact that the eBay link you're clicking on in the first post is long dead, here are the pictures from the auction:

And the description:

"Edgar Leeteg
This Auction is covered by a Satisfaction or Money Back Guarantee and is offered with No Reserve Price. Up for Auction is a beautiful Signed Original Oil on Black Velvet Portrait Painting by Well Listed Tahitian Artist Edgar Leeteg (1904-1953). This artwork is in excellent condition, no sign of paint loss, damage or repair. There is some minor scuffing to the velvet at the borders. Leeteg is a highly collectible artist whose works rarely become available with auction records at Butterfields and the like, and an auction high price realized of $2,487 (Butterfields 9/19/1990). We are offering this wonderful artwork in a No Reserve Auction, high bidder wins the auction and the Edgar Leeteg Original Velvet Painting. The Artist is Listed in:

The frame measures 14 by 14 1/2 inches, the art, 13 by 13 1/2."

UPDATE: for any future viewers of this thread that are curious, the painting sold for 519.09.

[ Edited by: TikiTres 2008-07-15 08:37 ]

M

"Ok, I want to go ahead and sell.

Sell what?

What I just bought."

Thought I recognized this one, sly guy that I am. Truly, it was only ten days ago that I bid on it. Well, the photo is turned right side up this time, that's got to be worth something.

Near impossible to find!

Leeteg sells 8/31

Leeteg for sale 9/10

Pea-NUTS, ice cream...Dibs!
midnite

B

I love the latest Leeteg that this cat is selling, but DAYAM...have you seen the Hamelton watch he also has up for auction...I know it's not tiki, but how sweet is that huh. I'd give my left nut for that...that's my left nut, not $12K.

Pages: 1 14 replies