Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Hula Charger in Pottery Barn Magazine with Coconut Drinking Cups

Pages: 1 10 replies

If you have received the recent Pottery Barn Magazine please turn to page 41 where it says Hula Charger and the description is incorrect. It says that "the chargers and baskets are made out of the same grass as hula skirs". This is incorrect as hula skirts are made from ti leaves which after lots of use will split when they get dry looking like grass. Other than this misinformation the Hula Charger and Coconut Drinking Cups are awesome! We do not have a Pottery Barn in the islands so if you happen to be near one let me know how authentic they are.

Welcome to TC HinHina...thanks for the great post.

Just checked out Pottery Barn (I love that store...have purchased from them for many years). Here is the picture from their website.

I loved the chargers so ordered 4 for my lounge table. I liked the cups too, but the website said this item no longer available. :(

On 2008-07-12 20:14, HinaHinawahine wrote:
If you have received the recent Pottery Barn Magazine please turn to page 41 where it says Hula Charger and the description is incorrect. It says that "the chargers and baskets are made out of the same grass as hula skirs". This is incorrect as hula skirts are made from ti leaves which after lots of use will split when they get dry looking like grass.

Way to break down the Ti Leaf hula skirt.
Nice page cite, too.

Aloha VamipressRN

Mahalo for your welcome to TC -

Oh, you ordered the chargers, let me know the quality when you receive them. You might call the main number and ask about the coconut cups. The store might even have them if you called and had them send to you. I want to order but no can ship to the Pacific Islands. I usually contact ohana on the mainland to buy and send.

Chris
Your acknowledgement of the ti leaf hula skirt, do you hula? I am a kumu and get excited when those of non-Hawaiian decent (or are you Hawaiian?) acknowledge these things.

Anyway I do think the chargers are awesome in the picture, waiting to hear from VampiressRN what she thinks.

[ Edited by: HinaHinawahine 2008-07-13 20:08 ]

On 2008-07-13 20:07, HinaHinawahine wrote:
Chris
Your acknowledgement of the ti leaf hula skirt, do you hula? I am a kumu and get excited when those of non-Hawaiian decent (or are you Hawaiian?) acknowledge these things.

Anyway I do think the chargers are awesome in the picture, waiting to hear from VampiressRN what she thinks.

[ Edited by: HinaHinawahine 2008-07-13 20:08 ]

I am glad to hear you are a Kumu.
For a while a was a very junior member of Hula Halau Ka Lei Lehua O Panaewa in Los Angeles.

Got the chargers and they are indeed awesome. Very well made, will last for eons and the design is great. They would be best placed on a table cloth so as not to scratch the table top, since they are made of coarse material. They came very well packed. I will get pictures of them tomorrow and post.

I have tried several stores but the coconut cups are not to be found. Plus I noticed that the chargers are now not available on the web any more.

I found this link to the chargers (and "Hula Bowl")this morning:
http://www.potterybarn.com/products--p10476--index.shtml

Glad you found that Thayer...yesterday they had the chargers as not available. Probably placed the last bit of merchandise on sale to close out. They really are nice, if anyone wants to order them, I suggest doing it now, I doubt they will be around for much longer. Let me know if you find the coconut cups. I had a line on 4 boxes of them yesterday, but the store said they couldn't physically find them in their stock. Anyway, here are the pictures. Once again, thanks to HinaHinawahine for the heads up on these.

MT

Vamp, you can get those coconut mugs at a lot of other places. I've seen them at TJ Maxx here in Alameda, and have also seen them at Cost Plus, Target and many other places. Many times they come with a lid that is strapped on, hinged with rattan. They are usually very inexpensive.

Thanks Bill...will keep my eye out for them. Figure if I am meant to have them, they will come my way some how.

The Rongo Bowl as a centerpiece for those chargers looks great...perfect color match to the ceramic leaves that are woven on them.

Pages: 1 10 replies